Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Jan 11th 2017, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, so a LMIA/TWP is the only option anyway then? Even if you do have a LMIA/job offer, that would only give you 426, so still not enough to get selected and invited to apply for PR via EE at the moment unless the points drop. So perhaps look at the PNP program instead?

That could well be right, but you're forgetting about the LMIA, which can take 3-4 months, so you need to add that on too.

HTH.
My eldest lad is more up with changes for things as he worked in Banff for 2 years and is desperate to get back - he did mention the points from LMIA was going to drop from 600 which virtually guaranteed an invite - looks like that has already been changed then??

I havent looked at the PNP as yet as thought I would be able to get LMIA to guarantee entry - I know they are short of GP's so had thought it would be straight forward to qualify - it looks like nothing is that easy for this process
Old Jan 11th 2017, 10:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by Richb1970
My eldest lad is more up with changes for things as he worked in Banff for 2 years and is desperate to get back - he did mention the points from LMIA was going to drop from 600 which virtually guaranteed an invite - looks like that has already been changed then??
Yep, now you'd only get 50 points for a job offer/LMIA (or 200 if in a Skill Level O job, but GP would be 50).

I havent looked at the PNP as yet as thought I would be able to get LMIA to guarantee entry - I know they are short of GP's so had thought it would be straight forward to qualify - it looks like nothing is that easy for this process
To qualify for a TWP, yes. But that's a different thing to be able to apply for PR and stay permanently. I'd imagine you'd find it relatively easy to get a job offer/LMIA (although those on this thread that are in similar fields will be able to advise you much better on that), so moving over temporarily on a TWP should be fine, you just need to figure out a 'Plan B' if you want to stay longer term. So do have a look at PNP as I think that would be your only option unless the points level for invites under EE does drop.

Best of luck.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep, now you'd only get 50 points for a job offer/LMIA (or 200 if in a Skill Level O job, but GP would be 50).

To qualify for a TWP, yes. But that's a different thing to be able to apply for PR and stay permanently. I'd imagine you'd find it relatively easy to get a job offer/LMIA (although those on this thread that are in similar fields will be able to advise you much better on that), so moving over temporarily on a TWP should be fine, you just need to figure out a 'Plan B' if you want to stay longer term. So do have a look at PNP as I think that would be your only option unless the points level for invites under EE does drop.

Best of luck.
Thanks so much for the advice - my plan would be to come across permanently so had wanted PR rather than a TWP and get PR once we get across. I will have a look at the PNP for BC as would rather head down that route rather than hit a brick wall under EE route
Old Jan 11th 2017, 4:24 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Family Physicians usually qualify for the 10 day processing LMIA unless that has changed recently. It's surprising that PNP is now your only way to get PR...

As Family Physicians are self employed you also don't qualify for Canadian experience class so that won't score you extra points either..
Old Jan 13th 2017, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Family Physicians usually qualify for the 10 day processing LMIA unless that has changed recently. It's surprising that PNP is now your only way to get PR...

As Family Physicians are self employed you also don't qualify for Canadian experience class so that won't score you extra points either..
Ah the LMIA is good to avoid delays. I think the issue was anyone with a LMIA got enough points to get an invite which has just changed so instead of 600 points from that I only get 50!

I will see what Healthmatch say when I have finished jumping through licensing hoops Im sure they know whats happening so I can get residency sorted!
Old Jan 13th 2017, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It looks to me like Health Match want you to do PNP- I'm sure you have seen this but for others

https://www.healthmatchbc.org/Moving...ominee-Program
https://www.healthmatchbc.org/Docume...Map-Final.aspx

It looks a lot quicker than previous- we had to come on a TWP then apply after a set period of time.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
It looks to me like Health Match want you to do PNP- I'm sure you have seen this but for others

https://www.healthmatchbc.org/Moving...ominee-Program
https://www.healthmatchbc.org/Docume...Map-Final.aspx

It looks a lot quicker than previous- we had to come on a TWP then apply after a set period of time.
I actually hadnt seen that and had planned to just go down the express entry online route but the PNP needs a paper form by the look of things!

Its very very complicated looking at the info they need is pretty daunting - mind when I looked at the BC licence requirements I thought I would never be able to do it but steadily chipping away at it seemed to be the best way
Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I actually hadnt seen that and had planned to just go down the express entry online route but the PNP needs a paper form by the look of things!
Nope, only if you go down the non-EE paper based route (which takes much longer), the EE streams are all done electronically.

HTH.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't this one of the problems that need sorting out if we can ever agree to recognize certain credentials.
Now I know some rural areas in Canada are literally begging and screaming for family physicians. I would tend to think they have problems recruiting Canadian physicians to work in these areas as they want to work in the larger cities and towns.
I have lost count in the number of South African physicians I welcomed to Canada either on work permits or Provincial Nominations. Some stayed some went home because of the then 4 in 4 out rule which has now been eliminated.
I can't see for the life of me why a Province wouldn't want to nominate a physician who was willing to settle in one of these high demand areas.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Its very very complicated looking at the info they need is pretty daunting - mind when I looked at the BC licence requirements I thought I would never be able to do it but steadily chipping away at it seemed to be the best way
hi Richb!
if your CRS marks is low despite LMIA due to recent point reduction, I highly recommend that you do PNP and have the peace of mind especially if you do not want to go back to NHS. with TWP you are really limited to 1 employer - which it can be a challenge depending on what kind of employer you find. Canadian just like their paperwork and it will be all that - may take you time to sort that out but it is quick looking briefing on the link provided.
best of luck!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

As with all things like this, they look daunting at first, but once you start it's fine! You'll probably have the advantage that Healthmatch will assist with checking forms, at least they when we were doing it. They went over them , and suggested alterations, that would be the advantage of paper here.

FL, BC seems keen to do PNP , we are so desperate, that I think you could work anywhere. Healthmatch's original remit was rural BC, but just as we arrived , it was changed to all BC.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

thriller13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many apologies if this was explained earlier. But can someone please advise about the CPSBC interview/orientation day and what to expect on the day?
Old Feb 16th 2017, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thriller13
Many apologies if this was explained earlier. But can someone please advise about the CPSBC interview/orientation day and what to expect on the day?
Nothing scary assuming not much has changed in almost 8 years. From what I remember they checked our documents, work permit. Took more money off us ( everyone did over the first 6 months or so) and then we had an interview with the registrar who was friendly and I think it was a formality.
We then sat in a boardroom and discussed a few things- like joining CMPA/BCMA etc. Value of incorporating etc. All very informal and not intimidating.

Sorry, I've been told to welcome you to the forum!! I didn't notice you were a newbie- my bad !
Welcome to the forum! When are you coming over?

Last edited by snoopdawg; Feb 16th 2017 at 2:44 am. Reason: Stinky bullied me!
Old Apr 11th 2017, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Looks like this thread has been dormant for some time so will update my position

Have been given provisional licence and allowed to look for jobs. We have a family holiday booked in July/ August and was going to sort things then but really want to get on with it so am heading to Kelowna in 4 weeks. I have promised my wife its all work and I wont enjoy myself at all (I havent mentioned the dive I have booked in the lake but will pass this off as area research too )

I was going to wait for PR but now we want to get sorted ASAP so means a TWP initially. Healthmatch will help as long as we head down the PNP route not the Express Entry so we plan to apply for PR at the same time as the Work permit.

All very exciting and the clock seems to be running slowly now but once I have a job sorted and we need to sort the house to sell I'm sure it will whizz by! Hopefully and assuming no issues with visa/ medical we could be out October or even September if I get a wriggle on.

So will keep people informed of whats happening on here I guess and may see some of you ex-pats soon
Old Apr 12th 2017, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Looks like this thread has been dormant for some time so will update my position

Have been given provisional licence and allowed to look for jobs. We have a family holiday booked in July/ August and was going to sort things then but really want to get on with it so am heading to Kelowna in 4 weeks. I have promised my wife its all work and I wont enjoy myself at all (I havent mentioned the dive I have booked in the lake but will pass this off as area research too )

I was going to wait for PR but now we want to get sorted ASAP so means a TWP initially. Healthmatch will help as long as we head down the PNP route not the Express Entry so we plan to apply for PR at the same time as the Work permit.

All very exciting and the clock seems to be running slowly now but once I have a job sorted and we need to sort the house to sell I'm sure it will whizz by! Hopefully and assuming no issues with visa/ medical we could be out October or even September if I get a wriggle on.

So will keep people informed of whats happening on here I guess and may see some of you ex-pats soon
Sounds great- good luck!
Re a dive in the Okanagan- this year has been a long cold winter. Lakes frozen for the first time in years- I mean ones that don't normally- some do every year. With the spring run off , I can only imagine how cold that lake will be
I hope you're tough! You won't get me putting a toe in till about mid August, maybe not at all this year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.