Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Oct 6th 2016, 1:38 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

My two cents..

The practice within three years applies to nurses too, both in the UK and Canada. I couldn't expect to reregister as a nurse in the UK if I hadn't completed 450 hours of clinical hours in three years. As an RPN here, and coming up to three years out of the U.K. I know I couldn't now expect to register for an RN because I haven't practiced in that capacity for coming up to three years. I also know as a mum having taken a career break I feel de-skilled and so I don't think the practice within three years is unreasonable to be honest.

Should they offer something? Well maybe, perhaps if you had originally been assessed, obtained license and then not worked, but the problem is that you haven't. They are doing a first assessment of you. You are essentially asking them to fill gaps in without any knowledge of you. There does have to be a line drawn somewhere and I think you've found it. As Rich said the UK is equally hard to revalidate now as a GP if you haven't been having appraisals every year. My husband relinquished his license to practice in the UK voluntarily as it was better to do it that way than having the mark on your file that you had it removed for failure to meet requirements ie practice and appraisal.

I don't think you can lay the blame for this at Canada's door. I don't mean that in a nasty way, I wish you luck trying to sort it out and I appreciate that life just gets in the way sometimes.

The missing of mental health and paeds for an arbitrary 4-8 weeks is frankly ridiculous but was one of the reason we opted for Ontario in the end.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 2:43 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

You make some great points there TT. Nurses do have serious problems. There is however a massive lack of GPs but this is tricky as OP indeed had the gap in practice and would indeed have to jump through hoops in the UK- as would I if I was ever mad enough to return to the UK to work

Just one query Partyof5Van, please just confirm, you didn't get approval for registration before you came over, and then had the break. If that is the case then I think you sadly will struggle

Last edited by Stinkypup; Oct 6th 2016 at 2:51 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

You are totally right TT, I too felt deskilled by being off after puppies even after the paltry 13 weeks allowed at that time!
However, the the urgent and desperate need for GPs in BC, I would have thought there would be some work around possible- she says she will work for free, to get the hours needed , she would need supervision and re training and such courses do exist, but she is in a catch 22 situation. She does have substantial post grad training already- she has MRCGP!
It all seems very short sighted to me!
Old Oct 6th 2016, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Partyof5Van is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your messages everyone.
Stinkypup I didn't get registration before leaving the UK sadly. Thank you Snoopdawg for those links- I would definitely consider the family medicine VTS. I'm just aware there is a lot of competition to get on those schemes but will certainly try!
I've just spoken to a GP who works with my husband and who is involved in the family practice training scheme and she has given me the number of another UK GP who managed to get an 8 week attachment in obstetrics here as she was missing this in her training. I'm waiting to hear back from her.
Rich1970, I feel your pain and frustration! You've also pointed out to me that it would be impossible for me to go back to the UK like has been suggested by the college to complete those hours, without jumping through al those hoops to get revalidated first etc.

I'm not giving up on this without a fight as I'm just not willing to throw away my medical degree and everything I've studied for over the last 20 years!
Old Oct 26th 2016, 10:32 am
Just Joined

pmpm is an unknown quantity at this point

HI All,

Those of you who are applying or have applied in Toronto - what kind of response are you getting. I am getting disappointed as I have sent about 14-15 emails to employers in Toronto and GTA from HFO website and I got reply only from 2. One of them is very small practice with not much traffic and other one is refusing to do LMIA or offer any guarantee, relocation charges, etc He wants me to sort out LMIA. Is the market so saturated there? I thought there is still shortage of GPs in Toronto area and they are desparate to have UK GPs!!
Old Oct 26th 2016, 11:37 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pmpm
HI All,

Those of you who are applying or have applied in Toronto - what kind of response are you getting. I am getting disappointed as I have sent about 14-15 emails to employers in Toronto and GTA from HFO website and I got reply only from 2. One of them is very small practice with not much traffic and other one is refusing to do LMIA or offer any guarantee, relocation charges, etc He wants me to sort out LMIA. Is the market so saturated there? I thought there is still shortage of GPs in Toronto area and they are desparate to have UK GPs!!
Well think about it, there's probably two places in Canada where Family Physicians are not in short supply and that's Toronto and Vancouver. In Ontario the government have stopped Family Health Team's recruiting new Family Physicians, although it's still possible to find jobs in rural areas.

It's illegal for you to do the LMIA, only the employer can do that and I wouldn't expect anything in the way of relocation expenses- not sure why you would really
Old Oct 26th 2016, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pmpm
HI All,

Hi PMPM!
Toronto itself will have PR or Canadian applicant so LMIA will be difficult to obtain. However LMIA is the responsibility of the employer for sure as TT said.
I remember not getting much reply by emailing them too 2 years ago but I would advise you can try to come and do a recess trip and see the clinic and talk to the employer. but if it is difficult then either use a recruitment agency or look on HFO for GTA - or further away like Barrie where you will likely find a willing employer and you can be sure to be busy too.

good luck!
Old Oct 27th 2016, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Tirytory, Vancouver is actually very short of GPs!!!!
It's very difficult to get a family doctor here and most people I know have to use walk in clinics.
Health match BC are currently in the UK and Ireland recruiting GPs as we speak.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partyof5Van
Tirytory, Vancouver is actually very short of GPs!!!!
It's very difficult to get a family doctor here and most people I know have to use walk in clinics.
Health match BC are currently in the UK and Ireland recruiting GPs as we speak.
Very true although I think when they find out they can't buy a house until they have PR or pay 15% extra, they may look elsewhere!! I'm hoping the Okanagan will benefit!

Last edited by snoopdawg; Oct 27th 2016 at 1:07 am. Reason: can't spell!
Old Oct 27th 2016, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Very true although I think when they find out they can't buy a house until they have PR or pay 15% extra, they may look elsewhere!! I'm hoping the Okanagan will benefit!
Yes Snoopdawg!! Haha! But, rent for first year and apply for PR minute you are landed and should be ok by a year!! paperwork takes time but is not insurmountable and quality of life is amazing here!
Old Oct 27th 2016, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep that's our plan! We looked at Vancouver then I did a property search and nearly dies when I saw the housing prices!!

Once my wife found out the okanagan was the wine region there was really nowhere else for us to go
Old Oct 27th 2016, 7:06 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richb1970
Yep that's our plan! We looked at Vancouver then I did a property search and nearly dies when I saw the housing prices!!

Once my wife found out the okanagan was the wine region there was really nowhere else for us to go
And skiing, and orchards, and boating lakes, and zip lines, and sweet sweet summers and nice winters
Old Oct 27th 2016, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
And skiing, and orchards, and boating lakes, and zip lines, and sweet sweet summers and nice winters
Ah dont!! Im in Falkirk doing medicals in a non descript building on a grey rainy morning with a view of the M9

Still need to find a friendly psychiatrist to offer me an attachment or Im going nowhere
Old Oct 27th 2016, 1:58 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

All I meant was that in all of Canada, GP's and other foreign doctors are more likely to head to these areas, as well as their home grown recruits. Yes, all you hear is how short of doctors they are, but practical application of getting a job is a different matter especially as an Internationally trained Doctor looking for an employer to pay out money and wait for you to come over.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 2:01 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

But Healthmatch BC recruiting for doctors to go to Vancouver? I'd bet they're recruiting for very rural BC with a minimum requirement of how long they live there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.