Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Jan 5th 2016, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by Woodywestie
Hi wondering if any Gos in Ontario? Ideally Toronto or Ottowa? I am a GP partner in England, am getting more confused more I read about what is needed to get a licence in Ontario. I have emailed health force Ontario who keep sending me more forms to complete am hoping after least one will get some clarity. I think I need to do the MCCEE and then get documents verified and I am unsure I I can do part 1 and 2 MCC when there. Anyone moved recently?

Also one reason for move would be better work life balance. Is that the case for people? Is it possible to work part time? Is it only possible to practice with your own list, we potentially may be on a tempory visit for three years with husbands job, or can you locum or do walk in clinic type work. What are indemnity fees like?

Thanks in advance
hi

PM me so I can highlight the points in licensing in On.

can you tell me where you are in the process?

The following is a summary of the process:
1. register with applyphysicians.ca to get your documents verified.
2. register with CFPC to get a letter of recommendation to say you can register with them without any examination if you have MRCGP.
3. register with CPSO - since you don't have MCCQE1 and MCCQE 2 then you will be given restricted or supervised registration for 1yr which i believe can be renewed up to 3 years to allow you to do QE1 and 2.

yes! you can do QE1 and QE 2 while in Canada.

as part of your supervised registration, you will ned to do full time job. so no locum or part time but I am sure you can negotiate to do less than full time.
however you have more freedom when you have full registration as well as PR.
good luck!

Last edited by Hasan78; Jan 5th 2016 at 1:33 am. Reason: tidying up
Old Jan 5th 2016, 1:43 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

I don't work over that side, I'm in BC but I could imagine you would do very well as a locum, there certainly aren't enough around us. You would as has been stated need to work initially under some supervision- get your exams- they are easy- if you have MRCGP, apply for CCFP- Google it! There is a reciprocal agreement with RCGP UK -then you can work unsupervised and fill your boots with locum work. Have a look in this thread if you haven't already , Snoopdawg, my other half has written some good posts, she is not lazy like me! Basically, I feel you have a better quality of life, are appreciated, a lot less tick boxing - certainly give it a go- GP land looks awful in the UK- you haven't really got anything to lose
Old Jan 5th 2016, 2:09 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I hope the British government requests you repay the $150k-$200 of tax payers money they invested in your educations before you naff off to some other country.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 2:21 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I hope the British government requests you repay the $150k-$200 of tax payers money they invested in your educations before you naff off to some other country.
Err that they claim to have invested- how the hell do they come up with that figure???

I personally slaved my beautiful butt off for a good number of years so think that I served my sentence
Old Jan 5th 2016, 2:29 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Err that they claim to have invested- how the hell do they come up with that figure???

I personally slaved my beautiful butt off for a good number of years so think that I served my sentence
Well they could have a formula. Each year you work in the UK reduces the debt by about $20k, after its all paid off then you can bugger off anywhere, conscience free. Of course there is the opportunity cost of taking a place in med school that someone who wanted stay in the UK might of benefited from, but that value is hard to quantify.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 2:39 am
I need a walk

Well they could have a formula. Each year you work in the UK reduces the debt by about $20k, after its all paid off then you can bugger off anywhere, conscience free. Of course there is the opportunity cost of taking a place in med school that someone who wanted stay in the UK might of benefited from, but that value is hard to quantify.
Therefore personally my conscience is clear - paid that off and more!

Having said that, what successive governments have done to General Practice in the UK with able assistance from the likes of the Daily Mail, I can't blame young GPs getting out whilst they can- they have been right royally shafted. It was bad enough when we left 6 years ago but now, it is like Dante's inferno!

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jan 5th 2016 at 2:46 am.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 3:17 am

Having said that, what successive governments have done to General Practice in the UK with able assistance from the likes of the Daily Mail, I can't blame young GPs getting out whilst they can- they have been right royally shafted. It was bad enough when we left 6 years ago but now, it is like Dante's inferno!
They do seem to have tried using GP's as the fall guy to control the narrative in order to justify lack of funding and investment. I know that's something we'd do.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 3:23 am
I need a walk

They do seem to have tried using GP's as the fall guy to control the narrative in order to justify lack of funding and investment. I know that's something we'd do.
Nooooo .... I meant
Old Jan 5th 2016, 5:44 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Definite tales of woe from GP friends back home. Wales not as hard hit as England presently, and that anecdata seems to suggest a mass exodus of GP's to retirement, abroad and anything else
Old Jan 5th 2016, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Gowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond repute

Canada don't take doctors before they have completed their training (mostly) and you have to have certificates before you can really start getting a job and immigrating. I'm going slowly but it's a good year for all the steps and I will have taken 18 months.
That means Canada is taking GPs in after they've worked for at least 6-7 years (absolute minimum to train after medical school is 5 years but most people take longer)
So at $20k pay back a year most uk gps will have perfectly clear consciences by the calculation above. I will be just shy of 21 years and if I don't make it to Canada I still won't be doing NHS general practice much longer. It is utterly grim.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

jatraveller is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!

I am new to the thread :-)

I am a new GP trainee (currently first year) but I am planning on moving to Canada as soon as i complete MRCGP and get my CCT.

I'm interested in Toronto, Ontario - My husband has family there and I the weather doesn't seem too horrendous compared to other places - I noticed today that Alberta was -13degrees!!

I have a few queries that I hope my fellow docs can help me with:

1. When is a good time to start the process - i.e. visiting the area, looking at practices, doing examinations etc
2. Can you forgo doing the MCCEE if you have CCFP?
3. Do GPs in ON have to cover ER
4. Any pros/cons of working in ON

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 8th 2016, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Gowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on my way to BC hopefully so can just give you a few pointers
Every step of this costs money
Physicianapply is the website for getting your qualifications accredited by medical council of Canada.
Healthforce Ontario can answer your specific questions but I believe that like BC you don't have to do mccee
Not all ON gps will do ER work but some do
There has been news lately about ON gps in conflict with government over terms and conditions. I don't know a lot about it being BC bound.
Others here will know much more
Good luck.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Smile re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Hi Gowest

Thank you for your reply!

What attracted you to BC? What did you have to obtain before getting there? Did you do additional examinations? Do you know of any websites that highlight the entrance criteria for IMGs? I am open to anywhere on the Eastern side of Canada so I wouldn't say a definite no to BC. I am a bit of a 'London girl' and so would probably prefer an urban setting than rural but would consider semi-rural. Also, considering I can not be 100% sure I will forever practice in Canada, I am not overly keen to shell out £1000s for an 'experience' that could only last a few years. My heart is set on eventually working in the Caribbean but that will be much later in life once I have made a decent living being a doctor.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 8th 2016, 6:36 pm
I need a walk

Originally Posted by jatraveller
Hi Gowest

Thank you for your reply!

What attracted you to BC? What did you have to obtain before getting there? Did you do additional examinations? Do you know of any websites that highlight the entrance criteria for IMGs? I am open to anywhere on the Eastern side of Canada so I wouldn't say a definite no to BC. I am a bit of a 'London girl' and so would probably prefer an urban setting than rural but would consider semi-rural. Also, considering I can not be 100% sure I will forever practice in Canada, I am not overly keen to shell out £1000s for an 'experience' that could only last a few years. My heart is set on eventually working in the Caribbean but that will be much later in life once I have made a decent living being a doctor.

Thanks again!
Huh?
Maybe you need to have a look at an atlas- BC is on the Western side...
Read this thread from scratch, it is a mine of useful information that you seek
Also, if you think -13c is cold then you may actually want to think West Coast as out East can get pretty damn colder than -13!!

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jan 8th 2016 at 6:39 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

I apologise - got very confused for a second!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.