Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CETA and importing a vehicle from the EU to Canada

CETA and importing a vehicle from the EU to Canada

Old Sep 29th 2014, 2:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CETA and importing a vehicle from the EU to Canada

Originally Posted by JamesM
Will you be taking your Dodge Viper SRT over to Normandy under this scheme?
No, I already own a perfectly serviceable Citroen 4 sedan over there. I wish I could buy one of those here.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Since 2008 the Jaguar-Land Rover company has been a subsidiary of the Indian Tata Motors, part of the Tata conglomerate. Their target markets have been North America and China.

I imagine that they've had enough sense to ensure that their products conform to North American standards.
It's not a NAS spec Defender and in any case Defenders haven't been able to comply with North American safety requirements since 1997, which is why the stopped selling them in USA in 1997.

It's mainly all about Airbags...

Like I said, we haven't figured out the loophole, but there must be one.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I am surprised that there are no French cars here? Are there any in other parts of Canada, or is it just here? No Renaults, no Peugeot and no Citroens?
That's a bit odd isn't it? They don't mind the Italians....lots of Fiats.
See replies from other, more knowledgeable, posters than I

There are a few, ancient or fast becoming so, French cars floating around in Qc. French car manufacturers " se cassèrent leur margoulette" in North America a while (decades) ago...

S
Old Sep 29th 2014, 1:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
See replies from other, more knowledgeable, posters than I

There are a few, ancient or fast becoming so, French cars floating around in Qc. French car manufacturers " se cassèrent leur margoulette" in North America a while (decades) ago...

S
There's a Citroen Maserati around the corner from here. And a 2CV. Makes one crave baguettes and snails.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 2:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There's a Citroen Maserati around the corner from here. And a 2CV. Makes one crave baguettes and snails.
Look at that S car go!
Old Sep 29th 2014, 2:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Look at that S car go!
Nissan actually made a van called the S-Cargo, it was slow, ugly and grey as Asian vehicles tend to be:

Nissan S Cargo
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 8:49 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

This is the part of the FTA that deals with vehicles: Canada-European Union: Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA)

Scroll down to: "Annex: Cooperation in the Field of Motor Vehicle Regulations"

The way it reads they want to converge regulations to make moving vehicles between Canada and the EU easier, however Canada also has a bilateral agreement with the US to do the same thing. So basically that means Canada, the US and the EU have to converge to a significant degree before you'd be able to privately import something unusual from the EU, because I seriously doubt Canada is going to choose the EU over the US when it comes down to it.

In fact it basically says that in paragraph 3 of Article V:

3. The Parties shall engage in technical consultations with a view to determining, no later than 3 years after the entry into force of the Agreement, whether the technical regulations contained in the UN Regulations listed in Table II should also be incorporated into the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations, with any adaptations Canada considers necessary. These technical regulations should be incorporated, unless doing so would provide for a lower level of safety as compared with the Canadian regulations or compromise North American integration.
Also it says in Article VII:

Article VII

Revision Clause: Cooperation with the United States of America

The Parties note their mutual interest in cooperation with the United States of America in the field of motor vehicle technical regulations. If the European Union and the United States conclude an agreement or an arrangement dealing with the harmonization of their respective technical regulations related to motor vehicles, the Parties shall cooperate with a view to determining whether the harmonization achieved by that agreement or arrangement should be implemented between the European Union and Canada.
So I wouldn't hold your breath on being able to import, say a Renault or a Peugeot. It might happen at some distant point in the future.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

@Steve

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. Maybe I overestimated CETA. I somewhat feel it was "marketed and advertized" as more, but promises way less.

However, I should also be old enough that when it comes to automobiles, all the laws are very very different again, even within the European Union, where taking a car from country A to country B is not as easy as it is advertized.