Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Central heating options & water heating

Central heating options & water heating

Old Mar 14th 2016, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Central heating options & water heating

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
So let me get this straight. You can only have a bathroom in a basement without a sump pump is the mains sewerage is below the level of your basement, probably on a flat site? Is this very modern houses only then?
From what I've seen in Calgary the main foul drain (or sanitary drain as they like to call them here) usually exits the house under the basement floor. There is usually a stack to which the various drain pipes within the house converge. The main foul drain has to be approx 6 feet below ground to be below the worst case frost level. I forget the actual values but I think it's the 50 year frost depth and it could be nearer 2 metres depth.

If there are "problems" with the City sewer there is potential for the flow in the sewer to back up and emerge from the lowest opening in the house, often the floor drain in the basement. This happened in a house we rented a few years ago.

We are just about to start installing a bathroom in the basement which will involve cutting into the concrete floor for the new drains. Building code requires a backflow preventer (ie non return valve) nowdays - they aren't 100% effective but worth putting in if there's the chance they could help.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 6:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Building code requires a backflow preventer (ie non return valve) nowdays - they aren't 100% effective but worth putting in if there's the chance they could help.
There's a sensible discount on flood/water damage insurance for house that have them so they may eventually pay for themselves.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 6:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've seen in Calgary the main foul drain (or sanitary drain as they like to call them here) usually exits the house under the basement floor. ....
Which is exactly why most Canadian homes have basements, as they do in the northernmost US states - much of the digging is required anyway, to get the drains and foundations below the frost line, so a basement is a very low-cost addition to the cost of construction. Unfortunately that is not true in my neck of the woods.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There's a sensible discount on flood/water damage insurance for house that have them so they may eventually pay for themselves.
I should check our insurance policy - I though sewer backup damage wasn't covered.

Our rental house that got flooded - it was only an inch of diluted sewage in the basement but that's enough to require emptying, satitising and rebuilding bottoms of walls. Apparently that house had been flooded in 2005 3 or 4 feet deep. The owners didn't bother putting in a backflow preventer after the first flood but they did after the second.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 7:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I should check our insurance policy - I though sewer backup damage wasn't covered.
It's a market that's changing quickly. No flood insurance was available in Canada (outside Quebec) until the High River floods of a couple of years ago, now there are various offerings, particularly in Alberta but also in other Provinces. It doesn't follow though that existing policies are enhanced at renewal to have the latest coverage.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
Most of the houses I've been looking at online seem to have either forced air central heating or 'baseboard heating'. Is this basically electric underfloor heating? If so, cripes, it must be hideously expensive to run.

Does this forced air central heating typically extend into the basement if the basement has been finished? If not, is it easy/relatively cheap to upgrade an existing central heating system to include the basement when finishing it off?

What about water-based heating systems? Does radiator central heating, like in the UK, exist in Canada? What about much cheaper to run hydronic underfloor heating, as found in most scandinavian counties?

Quite a lot of houses also seem to have electic/gas fireplaces in one of the main living areas. Is this mains gas or bottled gas normally? I much, much prefer logburners as a secondary method of home heating, since even those which are restricted to high burn temp without a rural slide for overnight, will still pump out loads of heat for hours and will work in a power cut. Are logburners common, as I've not seem a single house in the GTA with one? Are there regulations preventing their use or restricting use to only certain models/particulate emissions standards?

I'm trying to understand central heating/hot water boilers/furnaces. In Canada does central heating and hot water heating run off the same system or seperate ones. Are hot water tanks common is are those combi-style instant hot water heaters more common. Not a fan of those, as it means cold shower in a power cut. In relatively modern houses, do they run from gas, oil or are they electric.

Lastly, are solar hot water and PV panels in common use/affordable/easily available. I've got no experience with their use in much colder climates, but I do have friends with solar panels in the North of England and Scotland and even with all the grey skies and rain, they have still found them to be financially viable. Given Toronto is much sunnier over winter, I did wonder whether it would be an option or is there some reason why the extreme cold would mean it's not an option.
I live in the boonies and run the main central heating on a forced air system fuelled by propane (otherwise known as LPG in the UK). The propane also fuels a stove in the basement, which is handy during power outages. I have a wood stove in the living room which I run constantly once the temperature outside gets to around 5 degrees, as propane prices rise a tad in the winter. I get through approx 3 cords of wood per winter season - again, handy during power outages as I can boil the kettle, cook, etc if need to.

Solar probably isn't an option for winter, as who the hell wants to go out and clear the snow off them when it's 20 below, trying to keep the driveway cleared is enough, lol!!
Old Mar 15th 2016, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
the best part, no getting rid of ashes.
Ah, I like ashes. They do wonders when added to my compost heap.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Our rental house that got flooded - it was only an inch of diluted sewage in the basement but that's enough to require emptying, satitising and rebuilding bottoms of walls. Apparently that house had been flooded in 2005 3 or 4 feet deep. The owners didn't bother putting in a backflow preventer after the first flood but they did after the second.
Should check your insurance for open fires and log burners too, friends in MB wanted to use their open fire as they live in an acreage with lots of free wood but they where quoted $1800 EXTRA insurance if they used the open fire, you can still use it but if theirs a fire and they attach blame to your open fire your up that creak without a paddle ! Might just be MB where insurance is a lot but if your not sure you should check.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 3:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
Should check your insurance for open fires and log burners too, friends in MB wanted to use their open fire as they live in an acreage with lots of free wood but they where quoted $1800 EXTRA insurance if they used the open fire, you can still use it but if theirs a fire and they attach blame to your open fire your up that creak without a paddle ! Might just be MB where insurance is a lot but if your not sure you should check.
Open fires are considered secondary heat and usually don't affect insurance We have 3 and no premium loading. Log burners (air tights) are considered primary heat and often will affect premiums.

It is important to disclose any of this to the insurer be be certain one is covered though.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:50 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Hot Water - increasingly new builds are putting in on-demand water boilers. We have one, and whilst it's more efficient than heating a hot storage tank full of water 3 times a day, it's less efficient on water because it takes 45 seconds for hot water to come out of the faucets at the end of the run. Planning to put in DHW recirculation pump in next.

Basement Heat - a lot of new builds are putting in-floor hydronic heating in the basement now (PEX lines set into the concrete basement slab, with hot water pumped around it). Has to be said, it's a glorious feeling to have your cold feet on warm floor whilst watching a movie.

Radiators - not so much in the west, but I believe hydronic home heating (hot water in radiators) is more prevalent out east.

Logburners - they're very difficult to find in new builds, as they're a massive insurance problem here in Calgary. When we spoke to our insurer, we were told homes in the city with log burners pay substantially higher premiums. For this reason, builders avoid putting something into new builds that would put off potential buyers, and opt instead for mains fed natural gas fireplaces (not the hideous throwback BristolUK just posted though )
Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The influence on house premiums of wood burning stoves isn't as clear cut as some posts here suggest. There may be a surcharge and that surcharge may depend on whether or not the stove is the primary heat source but there's also a surcharge for having oil heat, for being five miles from a hydrant, ten miles from a fire station, being middle aged, having a poor credit rating, being near a river and a range of other factors. The surcharge may vary with the type of stove and manner of installation.

Take a picture of the stove and email it to the company that's quoting.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The influence on house premiums of wood burning stoves isn't as clear cut as some posts here suggest. There may be a surcharge and that surcharge may depend on whether or not the stove is the primary heat source but there's also a surcharge for having oil heat, for being five miles from a hydrant, ten miles from a fire station, being middle aged, having a poor credit rating, being near a river and a range of other factors. The surcharge may vary with the type of stove and manner of installation.

Take a picture of the stove and email it to the company that's quoting.
I was about to post summat on these lines but DBD mostly said it all.

Pinecone: much of what you are are asking is going to depend on where in Canada, & on whether rural/suburban/urban. That goes for heating, basements, etc et al.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Open fires are considered secondary heat and usually don't affect insurance We have 3 and no premium loading. Log burners (air tights) are considered primary heat and often will affect premiums.

It is important to disclose any of this to the insurer be be certain one is covered though.

Might just MB then or who ever they used as an insurer ?
Or as dbd33 says, These friends are way out east of Winnipeg then way north in the boonies, pretty much a fire would reduce their place to ash before the Fire Brigade gets there.

Last edited by Juggernaut1064; Mar 15th 2016 at 5:54 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 6:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
Might just MB then or who ever they used as an insurer ?
Or as dbd33 says, These friends are way out east of Winnipeg then way north in the boonies, pretty much a fire would reduce their place to ash before the Fire Brigade gets there.
A fire in a timber-framed house is usually enough to destroy it. IME once the fire has spread beyond one room and/or into the attic, the fire brigade's interest begins and ends at the safety of people and stopping the fire spreading to neighbouring properties. On many occasions they seem content to let it burn out rather than leave a smoldering and/or unstable shell. The first time I saw such a gutted house was in the suburbs of NYC so about as far away from "out in the boonies" as you can imagine.

I see the remains of one or two house fires each year, and in the past 13 years I can only think of a single one that was heavily damaged, with scorch marks up the outside, which was subsequently repaired.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 6:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A fire in a timber-framed house is usually enough to destroy it. IME once the fire has spread beyond one room and/or into the attic, the fire brigade's interest begins and ends at the safety of people and stopping the fire spreading to neighbouring properties. On many occasions they seem content to let it burn out rather than leave a smoldering and/or unstable shell. The first time I saw such a gutted house was in the suburbs of NYC so about as far away from "out in the boonies" as you can imagine.

I see the remains of one or two house fires each year, and in the past 13 years I can only think of a single one that was heavily damaged, with scorch marks up the outside, which was subsequently repaired.
I imagine this is true but the woodstove premium loading depends only on that carrier's perception of the increase in probability of there being a fire due there being a woodstove. Some companies will fuss about the stove, some not. Some will worry about the set up of the specific stove, some not.

If I had easy access to one company's rate table of heating surcharges for homeowner's policies in Manitoba I might find that solid fuel (wood or coal) attract a 25% premium surcharge when used as the primary heat source, 15% when secondary (which is usual for wood, one would normally claim the furnace as the primary heat source) while, by way of comparison, an oil tank of single wall construction attracts a 50% surcharge.

Premiums being derived through the application of a string of discounts, surcharges and rating factors, I should think that 25% would be about $180 on a $1000 policy. Peanuts, I say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.