Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CBSA, trying to confiscate PR card

CBSA, trying to confiscate PR card

Old Oct 20th 2014, 12:48 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default CBSA, trying to confiscate PR card

My friends' daughter is here on a visit. She has PR and landed in May 2013. At Pearson she was told that she should surrender her PR card as it was no longer valid! Duh. A side trip to immigration and a lengthy conversation kept her her card. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

What on earth were they thinking of? She still has plenty of time to move here permanently. Have the rules changed i can't see anything on the CIC website so I doubt it.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CBSA, trying to confiscate PR card

No the rules haven't changed its still 730 days every rolling 5 years.
She can always use this link to make a complaint
Compliments, Comments and Complaints
Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:26 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
No the rules haven't changed its still 730 days every rolling 5 years.
She can always use this link to make a complaint
Compliments, Comments and Complaints
Thanks!
Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

This month i flew back to the UK with an expired residency card, it expired two years ago, i stopped crossing the border as a trucker and i put my passport etc away and completely forgot to renew it. I have a friend who is an immigration officer at the border and was told so long as i carried proof beyond my card i would be OK, i took the sheet of paper i got with my residency and had NO ISSUES when i landed back at Calgary direct from Amsterdam. Seems odd this girl was given a hard time but in situations like that i always think those people are human and may have had a real A Hole to deal with before you which may have ruffled their feathers.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:17 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Or you got the resident jobsworth, every POE has at least one. Never ceases to amaze me the variation in treatment I get at POEs, doing exactly the same thing I've done before. What normally happens is I get a jobsworth, so next time I take super care to do everything exactly right, then I get waved through, then I get waved through, then I get waved through, then just when I think I've cracked it, I get another jobsworth.

I've got to the point where I'm carrying every possible bit of paperwork that might help me and I've got the IRPA, Title 8 of the CFR, CBP manual etc. on my phone in case I get sent to secondary, just because some jobsworth doesn't believe whatever I'm saying for whatever particular reason.

I don't know why people complain about the police, customs officials are ten times worse at least. I think some of them are just on a bit of a power trip, the problem is that if you're doing everything right and you know the law, they have no real power over you.

So let's just say I've filed lots of complaints...
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 4:29 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I recently got back from the UK.

The border guard at YVR just took my printout from the machine and she didn't say a word. I'd like to congratulate her on a job well done - if only they were all like that.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steve_
Or you got the resident jobsworth, every POE has at least one. Never ceases to amaze me the variation in treatment I get at POEs, doing exactly the same thing I've done before. So let's just say I've filed lots of complaints...
Yeah I agree. The variation in knowledge is shocking. Same at the UK end though, especially in Scotland.

I've found knowing your rights and the laws helps though. If the border patrol person gets all stroppy I usually say, "All due respect but I don't think so. Could you please get a supervisor?"

Politely disagreeing and explaining the situation usually works. Going ballistic is likely to get you tased.