Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cats in plane cabin

Cats in plane cabin

Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Gems_0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cats in plane cabin

I would like peoples thoughts and experiences please, as we are debating what would be the best option and we currently cannot come to a decision.

We would ideally like to fly from the UK to Canada with our 3 cats staying with us at all times, including flying in the cabin with us under the seats etc. for peace of mind, as you do hear about horror stories of cats getting lost/dying/put on wrong flight etc.

However, the pet carrier that they will need to fly in will be quite small, Air Canada stipulates a maximum carrier size of:
Height: 27 cm (10.5 in)
Width: 40 cm (15.5 in)
Length: 55 cm (21.5 in).
I am not sure how they will be in such a small carrier for approximately 8 hours as they are quite large cats (Ragdolls) and they are highly vocal!

Has anyone traveled with their cats within the cabin, any pros and cons/issues compared to them being in luggage?

Last edited by Gems_0; Mar 23rd 2018 at 10:13 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:10 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cats in plane cabin

I believe its not allowed fullstop from british airports. Have to fly in the hold unless they are registered seeing eye dogs.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems_0
I would like peoples thoughts and experiences please, as we are debating what would be the best option and we currently cannot come to a decision.

We would ideally like to fly from the UK to Canada with our cats staying with us at all times, including flying in the cabin with us under the seats etc. for peace of mind, as you do hear about horror stories of cats getting lost/dying/put on wrong flight etc.

However, the pet carrier that they will need to fly in will be quite small, Air Canada stipulates a maximum carrier size of:
Height: 27 cm (10.5 in)
Width: 40 cm (15.5 in)
Length: 55 cm (21.5 in).
I am not sure how they will be in such a small carrier for approximately 8 hours as they are quite large cats (Ragdolls) and they are highly vocal!

Has anyone traveled with their cats within the cabin, any pros and cons/issues compared to them being in luggage?

I pity other passengers if they have to spend 8+ hours with babies crying and highly vocal cats as well!!

How many do you have?
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

No it is allowed. I think you are thinking of people flying animals into the UK. Think the rules are different there.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:20 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/airline-pet-fees

https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/...ance/pets.html

However, you never ever see pets at gatwick or heathrow. Im betting if theres a dispensation with air canada outbound only [check personally there seem to be several gotchas in plane type etc], you probably have to leave the animal with animal reception and they take it to your plane - having checked box etc. There will be a fee...
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:23 pm

If they are deemed too large for the underseat box they go in the hold no question, and you pay mucho for a box etc.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 10:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have pusscats. I really really love my pusscats If my cats could not have come to New Zealand with me from the UK, which is two long haul flights, I would not have emigrated 14 yrs ago.

However - I would not put either my cats nor other passengers through the stress of a journey in an aircraft passenger cabin. People have allergies. The noises and smells are different. The position cramped. The smells and sounds not good. Heck. Even for passengers it's not that much fun, let alone for an animal.

Cats are perfectly fine in the hold of an airplane where it is quiet and calm . In the proper sized crate where they will not be subject to and so react to strange sensory overload & where they will likely simply sleep.

Thousands upon thousands of animals fly around the world, in holds , every single day without any probs at all.

Arrange to travel with your cat in the hold. That is fair to the cat and to other passengers.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scilly
I pity other passengers if they have to spend 8+ hours with babies crying and highly vocal cats as well!!

How many do you have?
We have 3 cats
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
If they are deemed too large for the underseat box they go in the hold no question, and you pay mucho for a box etc.
The cats are under the weight limit, so should be ok.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
I have pusscats. I really really love my pusscats If my cats could not have come to New Zealand with me from the UK, which is two long haul flights, I would not have emigrated 14 yrs ago.

However - I would not put either my cats nor other passengers through the stress of a journey in an aircraft passenger cabin. People have allergies. The noises and smells are different. The position cramped. The smells and sounds not good. Heck. Even for passengers it's not that much fun, let alone for an animal.

Cats are perfectly fine in the hold of an airplane where it is quiet and calm . In the proper sized crate where they will not be subject to and so react to strange sensory overload & where they will likely simply sleep.

Thousands upon thousands of animals fly around the world, in holds , every single day without any probs at all.

Arrange to travel with your cat in the hold. That is fair to the cat and to other passengers.
Thank you BEVS that does make sense. I was thinking though regarding noise and smells it will be the same in the hold, with all the other cats and dogs.. and when in there I cannot see to them/reassure them either.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 10:19 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The cats are under the weight limit, so should be ok.
The cats are ok, but what about the other 319 people on your flight? There's allergies and smells and the howling of upset cats. Are your cats actually that much more important than the comfort of everyone else?
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 10:53 pm

Its also nothing to do with weight, its whether they are comfortable all day in the box allowed under the front of your seat which is determined by simple formulas.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:24 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thank you BEVS that does make sense. I was thinking though regarding noise and smells it will be the same in the hold, with all the other cats and dogs.. and when in there I cannot see to them/reassure them either.
No. It will not be the same as being squashed in with hundreds of people , many of which will be up and down the aisles. Then there is the meal /drinks distributions & smells , sounds with that etc. It will be much quieter and calmer in the hold. Each pet is in its own crate with its own space . I doubt it will be crowded out with pets in the way that people are crowded into passenger cabins.
I doubt you would be able to do much to reassure your pet if it does start to stress out whilst in the passenger cabin.

Perhaps the way to go is to select your airline and then ask them for comprehensive info and photos of their pet carrying holds to help put your mind at rest.

You should also talk with a professional pet shipper about this.
I recommend Golden Arrow.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Is there not a limit to the number of animals allowed to travel with a passenger?
Old Mar 24th 2018, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scilly
Is there not a limit to the number of animals allowed to travel with a passenger?
yes it is one pet per person

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.