Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car insurance in the UK for rentals

Car insurance in the UK for rentals

Old Feb 17th 2017, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car insurance in the UK for rentals

This has probably been asked before. I am heading back to the UK next week for 2 weeks holiday and I am renting a car for the time I am back. I never used to get any car insurance thinking I was covered by my Canadian coverage and my CIBC Aeroplan card.
In recent years I was told that neither of the above cover liability, say if you are sued by someone hurt in an accident. Based on that for the last 3 to 4 years I have been taking the liability insurance and it used to be cheap but I think the rental companies got wind of that, and now taking the liability out is getting close to the cost of renting the car.
Just wondering if someone knows the true rules since the credit card company and my insurance Company are bloody pathetic in getting a definitive answers.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 7:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance in the UK for rentals

Originally Posted by Kentonmag
This has probably been asked before. I am heading back to the UK next week for 2 weeks holiday and I am renting a car for the time I am back. I never used to get any car insurance thinking I was covered by my Canadian coverage and my CIBC Aeroplan card.
In recent years I was told that neither of the above cover liability, say if you are sued by someone hurt in an accident. Based on that for the last 3 to 4 years I have been taking the liability insurance and it used to be cheap but I think the rental companies got wind of that, and now taking the liability out is getting close to the cost of renting the car.
Just wondering if someone knows the true rules since the credit card company and my insurance Company are bloody pathetic in getting a definitive answers.
Credit cards only cover collision damage waiver and not for all vehicles. Some auto insurers will give rental vehicle coverage. Check with your auto insurer. Also check with the rental company what their coverage is. One may vary from another. If you want definitive answers, best to get it in writing. Credit cards have booklets with details of coverage and usually it is also online.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty certain that Motor Liability Insurance (this is what protects 3rd parties) on all UK car rentals is included in the base price, by law.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Liability insurance is included in all U.K. Rentals, so your credit card cover is fine. In fact you'll find in most countries the rental company has to provide 3rd party coverage if your not a resident of the country (even a lot of US states have this rule).
Old Feb 18th 2017, 3:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianSpruce
Liability insurance is included in all U.K. Rentals, so your credit card cover is fine. In fact you'll find in most countries the rental company has to provide 3rd party coverage if your not a resident of the country (even a lot of US states have this rule).
It is how much liability provided is the issue. Most rental companies provide the minimum, so they can sell you more. In BC for example, the min is $200k, not close to enough in my view. We carry $3m for rentals and $5m for our own vehicles.

One should always check rental agreements before signing to be sure.
Old Feb 19th 2017, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all for your insight