Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car insurance recomendations

Car insurance recomendations

Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:52 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance recomendations

Old Dec 3rd 2014, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Fruit Juice is an unknown quantity at this point

So glad for this advise. Was in despair over the price of car insurance and the fact that they wouldn't take my driving experience nor my no claims from UK. I called Johnston Insurance, great customer service and all I need is proof of no claims and a copy of my UK drivers licence.

Note to all: before you surrender your UK drivers licence make sure to make 40 million copies!!!!!!
Old Dec 4th 2014, 10:47 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my insurance from The Personal at a very reasonable cost and they took into account my UK driving history. I am currently based in Alberta but you need to check if they provide services in Ontario.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steveh27wp
Seems to me that you should tell us which province/city you live in.If it's BC then there is only one insurance company to use for your basic cover.
Steve
Good old BC government running there monopoly. I do really despise them. They are so cheeky at raping you of your money.

I guess it's not rape, when they yell surprise at the cashier when you buy something. Eg Environmental tax (which the Bc government also taxes the environmental tax). Sneaky Bastards

Someone really needs to punch Christy Clark in the chops and take that smug look off her face. Really can't stand her and her haircut. I don't usually believe in violence solves anything, but she is on the list with a few others, Chris Evans and Liam Gallagar that need a punch in the face. Lol

Rant over
Old Dec 14th 2014, 4:26 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fruit Juice
Note to all: before you surrender your UK drivers licence make sure to make 40 million copies!!!!!!
A couple of copies would likely be enough, or just keep a record of your drivers # eh!
Old Dec 16th 2014, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

bigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Aviator
A couple of copies would likely be enough, or just keep a record of your drivers # eh!
i personally just scan it, then print at my leisure...

however, with regards to proof of no claims - I have got 11 years of no claims in the UK, and before I left UK I managed to get some of my insurance provider to write me a letter in CIBC preferred format (I can prove the last 4 years.) The issue is those 4 years are not consecutively, i.e. I can prove from 2009 - 2012, and 2013-2014 I made no claims - I am missing 2012-2013!? will this matter?
Old Dec 17th 2014, 11:15 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fruit Juice

............or save one scanned copy online somewhere?
Old Dec 18th 2014, 1:09 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigshark
i personally just scan it, then print at my leisure...

however, with regards to proof of no claims - I have got 11 years of no claims in the UK, and before I left UK I managed to get some of my insurance provider to write me a letter in CIBC preferred format (I can prove the last 4 years.) The issue is those 4 years are not consecutively, i.e. I can prove from 2009 - 2012, and 2013-2014 I made no claims - I am missing 2012-2013!? will this matter?
It will matter. An insurer will only go back to 2013. With a break you lose all before the break. You insure with CIBC?

Scanned docs should have a back up on a seperate drive or in the cloud and in a format that will not become obselete.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

bigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of lightbigshark is a glorious beacon of light

It will matter. An insurer will only go back to 2013. With a break you lose all before the break. You insure with CIBC?

Scanned docs should have a back up on a seperate drive or in the cloud and in a format that will not become obselete.
b@lls! we currently dont have a car but that would be next on the agenda. as much as we enjoy being car-free with no worries about expensive maintenance cost, insurance etc., we do miss having the convenience of a vehicle. having to do the food shop in drips and drabs whilst getting the bus is a pain in the buttocks...
Old Dec 24th 2014, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar problem as the company who insured me for the last two years in England wouldn't answer my emails for a letter written in a certain way, because of that crucial gap I am paying full whack and it hurts!!