Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car insurance for new CAD residents

Car insurance for new CAD residents

Old Oct 21st 2017, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance for new CAD residents

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
I am in Nova Scotia and in a similar boat. The broker I am using asked me to get my last 5 years insurance history. Having bucked it all out, I had to apply to the MIB in the UK. You pay a tenner and they send you your last 7 years insurance history under the FOI act, so it can take up to 40 days. However, the insurer here said that brought my quotation down from $5,500 to $2,600.
Oh that is VERY interesting! And did they accept this output from the MIB (in place of letters from each and every insurer)???
Old Oct 27th 2017, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Oh that is VERY interesting! And did they accept this output from the MIB (in place of letters from each and every insurer)???

Agreed that is good to know!
Old Oct 30th 2017, 11:10 am
Moving to Mississauga!

ScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scots_in_Canada
Hello
My husband and I will be buying a car as soon as we arrive in Canada. We both have UK driver's licenses. I've read stories that insurance in Canada can be up to 6k per annum for one car!?
What have others done to avoid such high rates? Any recommendations for an insurer that will take into account our no claims history in the UK?
Many thanks!
Welcome to BE and great choice of name!
Old Nov 1st 2017, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misskatpaw
ICBC in British Columbia requires letters from UK insurance companies following this format:

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/moving-...residents.aspx

Went through this in my name 5 yrs ago when we moved here and going through it now in my husbands name. Massive pain but should save us at least a grand a year. Although I expect some nit picking as I could not get all 3 insurance companies to follow this exact format, no matter how straightforwardly it’s spelled out. 8 years history prior to emigration is required.

If you do establish this is needed where you’re moving to, I would def do this before you leave the UK.

Good luck
We're moving to Vancouver Island, BC in the New Year. Car insurance does seem rather eye-watering - what sort of costs we can anticipate in the province? My partner has only had a licence for 7 years here in the UK - will that be sufficient? Thanks.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 9:29 am
Just Joined

OtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
I am in Nova Scotia and in a similar boat. The broker I am using asked me to get my last 5 years insurance history. Having bucked it all out, I had to apply to the MIB in the UK. You pay a tenner and they send you your last 7 years insurance history under the FOI act, so it can take up to 40 days. However, the insurer here said that brought my quotation down from $5,500 to $2,600.
Here is the page you need to head to for the form and address for your full history:

https://www.mib.org.uk/check-insuran...tion-from-mib/
Old Nov 1st 2017, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Dave_Pardew is an unknown quantity at this point

Big respect and thank you to all contributors to this thread - among the hundred million other items on my to-do list, I hadn't even considered the car insurance minefield to come <takes a deep breath and dives into the murky depths of no claims...>
Old Nov 1st 2017, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave_Pardew
Big respect and thank you to all contributors to this thread - among the hundred million other items on my to-do list, I hadn't even considered the car insurance minefield to come <takes a deep breath and dives into the murky depths of no claims...>
I would also recommend that you get the full UK DVLA 'driving experience' print. In case it is needed for UK to Canadian Province licence exchange. See here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...driving-record

Piece of cake to get and it's free.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Dave_Pardew is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Hurlabrick, will do
Old Nov 1st 2017, 3:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ecokid
We're moving to Vancouver Island, BC in the New Year. Car insurance does seem rather eye-watering - what sort of costs we can anticipate in the province? My partner has only had a licence for 7 years here in the UK - will that be sufficient? Thanks.
License exchange can be done with 2 or more years of holding a full UK license.

Claims a discount for no previous claims is allowable if you can bring letters from previous insurers showing you have made no claims. Any break in insurance history is where they stop, insurance letters must show the person claiming the discount as the policy holder. Letters must be in the format required by ICBC.

We have the full 43% discount with 20 years, paying around $1600 a year for a truck, $2000 for an SUV and $3000 for M/C

Old Nov 28th 2017, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

llysmabley is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Ottawa and got fully comp for both of us with Cooperators for under $1000.

No fuss and our UK history accepted without question.

New KIA Rio

Try them.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 6:20 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies if I've missed it, but it never seems to be mentioned when discussions about UK vs Canadian insurance rates comes up.

In the UK, you insure a named specific driver, to a specific vehicle. Thus, in most cases, only 1 person is legally allowed to drive that vehicle under that policy coverage. You can name extra specific people, but then your rates go up.

In Canada, you insure the vehicle, period. As the vehicle owner I can let my friend, neighbour, or stranger off the street borrow my car, and they are covered under my insurance policy. This obviously carries a greater risk for the insurer, and thus the premiums are higher.

I've always assumed Canadian insurers do this because of the vast distances we drive here, which require sharing the driving on long road trips.

Last edited by Photoplex; Nov 28th 2017 at 6:22 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Apologies if I've missed it, but it never seems to be mentioned when discussions about UK vs Canadian insurance rates comes up.

In the UK, you insure a named specific driver, to a specific vehicle. Thus, in most cases, only 1 person is legally allowed to drive that vehicle under that policy coverage. You can name extra specific people, but then your rates go up.

In Canada, you insure the vehicle, period. As the vehicle owner I can let my friend, neighbour, or stranger off the street borrow my car, and they are covered under my insurance policy. This obviously carries a greater risk for the insurer, and thus the premiums are higher.

I've always assumed Canadian insurers do this because of the vast distances we drive here, which require sharing the driving on long road trips.
This isn't quite how it works in Canada or, always, in the UK. In the UK my cars were always insured for "any driver" which made sense because I had the highest rating anyone could so the marginal cost for adding randomers was minimal.

In Canada you are asked to provide details of all cars and drivers in the household and the company then rates as if someone is the primary operator of each vehicle (even if you are not insuring all the vehicles and drivers). Companies often exclude specific drivers from some or all of the vehicles e.g. "the 18 year old can't operate the Ferrari", "the frequent drunk driver can't operate any of the vehicles". Note that, excepting exotics, the car doesn't matter in Canada the way it does in the UK, if you're only concerned with insurance costs you may as well have the 550hp as the 300hp model.

The reason for covering "any driver" here (ON) is just that the company insuring the car (or the last insurer if there's none at the time of an accident) is on the hook for the liability risk associated with that car regardless of who's operating it. I don't know if this law was the deliberate policy of some government or happenstance but it means that offering "any driver" is not the company doing the policyholder a great favour.

In exciting news, my policy is just renewing and it's under $4000 for the year; we'll be able to dine out again!
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by llysmabley
We live in Ottawa and got fully comp for both of us with Cooperators for under $1000.

No fuss and our UK history accepted without question.

New KIA Rio

Try them.
Is that a telemetric policy? One with a thingy in the car to track your driving style.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

llysmabley is an unknown quantity at this point

No, just a standard policy.
We are both in our late 70's and the new car was $22'000.
Last month a woman ran into us on a roundabout ( drivers haven't got used to them yet )
Completely her fault and no contest.
Our claim was processed smoothly and the repairs were first class at Assured
I can recommend Cooperators for insurance.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 4:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by llysmabley
No, just a standard policy.
We are both in our late 70's and the new car was $22'000.
Last month a woman ran into us on a roundabout ( drivers haven't got used to them yet )
Completely her fault and no contest.
Our claim was processed smoothly and the repairs were first class at Assured
I can recommend Cooperators for insurance.
Cooperators sell policies based on their claims service rather than on price so I would expect them to look after their customers. I'm surprised at the premium though, good for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.