Reload this Page >

Car insurance for new CAD residents

Car insurance for new CAD residents

Old Oct 15th 2017, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Scots_in_Canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance for new CAD residents

Hello
My husband and I will be buying a car as soon as we arrive in Canada. We both have UK driver's licenses. I've read stories that insurance in Canada can be up to 6k per annum for one car!?
What have others done to avoid such high rates? Any recommendations for an insurer that will take into account our no claims history in the UK?
Many thanks!
Old Oct 15th 2017, 1:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance for new CAD residents

Originally Posted by Scots_in_Canada
Hello
My husband and I will be buying a car as soon as we arrive in Canada. We both have UK driver's licenses. I've read stories that insurance in Canada can be up to 6k per annum for one car!?
What have others done to avoid such high rates? Any recommendations for an insurer that will take into account our no claims history in the UK?
Many thanks!
$6,000 isn't an unusual annual premium, most people pay monthly so as to make the cash flow manageable. Car insurance costs and procedures vary a bit by location; which Province or Territory are you moving to?
Old Oct 15th 2017, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Scots_in_Canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello - we are moving to Bradford, Ontario. Driving a Volvo XC90. Having asked family in the area, their annual rate is less than 2k and we pay significantly less in London, England so 6k seemed expensive!
Old Oct 15th 2017, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

It does depend where you move to... we moved to NS (in 2013) and went with Johnson who accepted our UK insurance history. We paid around $800 for 2 people for the first year (and less after that).
(I should point out that we went without collision cover)
Old Oct 15th 2017, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
Many thanks!
Yes, need to know province.

I am doing the same thing myself to Ottawa, ON in November.

Canadian insurers do not normally recognise 'statements of no of years of no claims' coz you can insure these. Instead those companies that do recognise UK experience seem to need a letter signed by each insurer from the UK to state the period of cover and explicitly state that during this period you have not made any claims, nor have you had any claims against you (NOT the same as a standard UK statement of NCD).

I called and spoke to my insurer and virtually dictated the letter I needed, they gave it to me in the end.

That said, not every insurer will recognise that anyway. I am personally going to go to Carr & Co - an insurance broker in Ottawa who have handled stuff like this before. But even if the do recognise my claims history, I am still expecting to pay $2k minimum.

Other 'UK friendly' insurers that have been mentioned are Johnsons, TD Canada and Intact Insurance
Old Oct 15th 2017, 1:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello - we are moving to Bradford, Ontario. Driving a Volvo XC90. Having asked family in the area, their annual rate is less than 2k and we pay significantly less in London, England so 6k seemed expensive!
Johnsons and TD accept claims history letters from the UK, if they're worded per the wiki here.
Old Oct 15th 2017, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you are moving to Ontario then you will probably find your Ontario drivers licence taped to the outside of the 1st Tim Hortons coffee you buy.
As other have suggested do your research as to what type of previous proof of insurance you had in the UK and have the letter worded correctly and use one of the insurers named and suggested as it aint cheap.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

We just moved to Toronto and bought a new car last week. It was cheaper to insure home as well as car than car alone. I'm not talking less than the combined cost if you were going to insure both anyway. Cheaper for both ($150 pcm versus $180) than car insurance alone! Went with TD-something after recommendation on here.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 11:44 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Canadian insurers do not normally recognise 'statements of no of years of no claims' coz you can insure these. Instead those companies that do recognise UK experience seem to need a letter signed by each insurer from the UK to state the period of cover and explicitly state that during this period you have not made any claims, nor have you had any claims against you (NOT the same as a standard UK statement of NCD).
Yes, this. In the UK they record no claims centrally to prevent fraud, so every insurer can refer to that database. No Canadian insurer has access, so you have to get a letter from every insurer you've had going back 8 years saying you had no claims. Which is an absolute PITA. I remember one insurance company I dealt with and they kept nit-picking the letter, I think they had to redo it 4 times before it was acceptable. And I'd had 4 different insurers.

Saved a lot of money though.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 1:25 am
Just Joined

CanDraig is an unknown quantity at this point

Find an insurance broker that will do the leg work for you. Our car dealer found us teh broker, the broker got our UK driving history included.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

Every province is different, in Manitoba they took my renewal notice stating my number of years NCB and gave me the full discount, she really just glanced at it, there was no way i'd be able to get a letter off every insurer for the last 13 years as I would always switch company every year, the older ones wouldn't even be obliged to keep records anywhere near that far back so likely wouldn't write you a letter.

Ontario is supposed to have the highest car insurance which makes sense as the driving is the worst in Canada, more like the Americans, very aggressive but paired with huge incompetence.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 11:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Kiowan
Ontario is supposed to have the highest car insurance which makes sense as the driving is the worst in Canada, more like the Americans, very aggressive but paired with huge incompetence.
While I accept your description of driving in Ontario it is nothing at all like driving in America. We can see that in the insurance rates, it cost less per year to insure my cars on US plates using a US address than it did to insure the same cars for a month in Ontario. Driving in America, even in NYC, even in LA, is a dream of competence and orderly conduct compared with driving in Ontario. And they don't have those stupid and dangerous daytime running lights.

Oh, and Ontario doesn't have the highest rates, ten thousand dollar premiums are routine in the Yukon and NWT, they're not in Ontario. I'd say that the highest premiums commonly seen are those for workers in Fort McMoney but that's because they tend to drive vehicles plated for their home Provinces; insurance companies like out-of-State plates as much as they like right hand drive vehicles.

Last edited by dbd33; Oct 18th 2017 at 11:57 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

I am in Nova Scotia and in a similar boat. The broker I am using asked me to get my last 5 years insurance history. Having bucked it all out, I had to apply to the MIB in the UK. You pay a tenner and they send you your last 7 years insurance history under the FOI act, so it can take up to 40 days. However, the insurer here said that brought my quotation down from $5,500 to $2,600.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 11:43 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
And they don't have those stupid and dangerous daytime running lights.
Although they're not legally required in the US they're pretty common nowadays.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 5:39 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Hello
Many thanks!
ICBC in British Columbia requires letters from UK insurance companies following this format:

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/moving-insurance/Pages/Insurance-discount-for-new-residents.aspx

Went through this in my name 5 yrs ago when we moved here and going through it now in my husbands name. Massive pain but should save us at least a grand a year. Although I expect some nit picking as I could not get all 3 insurance companies to follow this exact format, no matter how straightforwardly it’s spelled out. 8 years history prior to emigration is required.

If you do establish this is needed where you’re moving to, I would def do this before you leave the UK.

Good luck

Last edited by misskatpaw; Oct 21st 2017 at 5:42 am. Reason: Mis-typing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.