Reload this Page >

Car Insurance in BC

Car Insurance in BC

Old Jun 28th 2010, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Andy Brass will become famous soon enough
Default Car Insurance in BC

Hi,
I have a car insured in Ontario, if I move to BC how does the insurance work (I heard that car insurance is done through the government somehow...)?
Old Jun 28th 2010, 5:25 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance in BC

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/autoplan-work should answer all your questions. If you want more than basic coverage from ICBC, shop around with companies like Canadian Direct . Buying the optional element from a private company should save you several hundred dollars.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

Originally Posted by Andy Brass
Hi,
I have a car insured in Ontario, if I move to BC how does the insurance work (I heard that car insurance is done through the government somehow...)?
In good old Communist styley, you have to insure your vehicle through the Provincial governments ICBC insurance agency. No 'shopping around' for the best deal. Pay what the ICBC guru's think they can milk you for & like it. You have two choices - Take it or live somewhere else. It ain't cheap. B.C. = bring cash.

Welcome to the wacky world of BC.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

ukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

For those in BC how many use other companies other than icky bicky for the extra insurances and what are your experiences?

Is it easier for expats to get a lower premium as we are having a hell of a time with tesco getting a letter that satisfies ICBC for the OH!!!!

Who did you use??

Every dollar in my pocket is better than in the govt pocket!!

Cheers
Old Jun 29th 2010, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

We downloaded the ICBC template letters to send to UK insurers. The UK lot still got things wrong as failed to state dates policy began and ended, as UK fixed on how many years total NCB. I did hope they'd still do the job though!

Since been informed that at least the Month and Year (start and end dates of policy) are required. That was just before being hit with an insurance bill for $1819 for SIX MONTHS

and before anyone asks about vehicle type/cost being influential a fellow recent arrival here got hit for the same amount of insurance which exceeded the value they paid for the vehicle in the first place

Now i plan to reapproach UK insurers and be super explicit with what i need.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by Psyched
Now i plan to reapproach UK insurers and be super explicit with what i need.
Good luck! The UK ones we have approached are completely useless with the exception of:

Morethan
Diamond

Admiral which is the same group as Diamond) sent a standard NCB letter to my previous-previous address which was forwarded fortunately as I still own the property - going to try and call them on Canada Day as I won't be at work and they will be.

Hopefully we can get these back soon . The lady we bought the insurance via told me that we have to get our reclaim submitted within 6 months of taking the policy out (you also need a BC lincense) otherwise you can't get a refund!

Good luck

Yelkcub
Old Jun 29th 2010, 3:45 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukcanuck
For those in BC how many use other companies other than icky bicky for the extra insurances and what are your experiences?

Is it easier for expats to get a lower premium as we are having a hell of a time with tesco getting a letter that satisfies ICBC for the OH!!!!

Who did you use??

Every dollar in my pocket is better than in the govt pocket!!

Cheers
I use Canadian Direct. They've always been very efficient, calls to them are dealt quickly and I'd happily recommend them. They offer multi-car discounts, home and travel insurance too. It saves me about $600 p/yr between 2 vehicles using CD rather than ICBC for the comprehensive policy element.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 3:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We use ICBC for all our insurance. The savings with third party insurers were negligible for our vehicles and the prospect of dealing with two adjusters in the event of a claim was not appealing.

With ICBC though I have found admit to nothing, deny everything and never mention you changed lanes, even if an incident was not your fault!!