CAR INSURANCE

Old Aug 26th 2013, 3:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAR INSURANCE

Originally Posted by orly
Why would your target be to make a loss? (103)

Makes zero sense...a bit like insurance quite a lot of the time!
That's not a loss, that's the amount paid in claims vs. the amount taken in premiums. Since the premiums are collected today and the claims paid tomorrow, 103% is profitable if the market rate for investments is 10% (or something, determining this year's something is what actuaries do).

In a competitive market the objectives are retention and then new business, the aim is always to make rates low enough that customers don't look around at renewal (getting a new policy sale costs something, just collecting the renewal premium costs less). That's why a firm might go for 103 instead of 99.

All of this is much complicated by segmentation, regulation and the fact that, in general, insurance companies just don't know what profit, if any, they make on any particular line of business or market segment. Insurance companies are more muddling along than ruthlessly exploiting their customers.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
In contrast to the UK, in Canada the type of car makes almost no difference to the premium. Get the car you'd like to have.

Thats what I've discovered.

Merc, BMW, Audi, Porsche etc. All generally cheaper than Honda Civic, Neon, or any other cheaper cars. Then if one of those brands isn't cheaper it still often no more than the cheaper cars.

Other that that trucks are generally cheaper. In my case the overall chepest have been the Porsche Ceyenne or Mercedes R Class.

As you say if you have the money then just buy the car you want as there is no point buying a cheaper car thinking you will save on insurance.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:14 pm
Never Live to Regret

staceyhall71 is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG what an absolute nightmare were having with JOHNSONS insurance. They asked for the no claims bonus so they could insure us on our Nissan Maxima. So I provided that now they are saying it is not good enough and need a LETTER OF EXPERIENCE detailing if any claims have been made. When the no claims bonus specifically states this. We are having such a hard time trying to get insured by anyone, and my husband is paying a fortune on hire car charges when he has a perfectly good car sat on the drive waiting to be insured. I don't really know what other information they need when I have provided everything they have asked for!!!
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by staceyhall71
OMG what an absolute nightmare were having with JOHNSONS insurance. They asked for the no claims bonus so they could insure us on our Nissan Maxima. So I provided that now they are saying it is not good enough and need a LETTER OF EXPERIENCE detailing if any claims have been made. When the no claims bonus specifically states this. We are having such a hard time trying to get insured by anyone, and my husband is paying a fortune on hire car charges when he has a perfectly good car sat on the drive waiting to be insured. I don't really know what other information they need when I have provided everything they have asked for!!!
Perhaps a new insurance broker.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by staceyhall71
Unfortunately, the NCB isn't good enough on it's own. Have you got your Drivers Record from the DVLA? They'll need that too. And which province are you in?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:46 pm
Never Live to Regret

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Unfortunately, the NCB isn't good enough on it's own. Have you got your Drivers Record from the DVLA? They'll need that too. And which province are you in?
I have just called the insurance company and they are doing me a letter. But I have only been insured with them for a year, so they can only really put in the letter my experience for that year even though I have my no claims of 7 years.
I am in Ontario.

And my driving record from DVLA is in the post. So without that I am abit stuck at the min.
Argh stressed out!! lol
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:55 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe worth getting a letter from the previous insurer too

FYI No claims bonus does not mean no claims for all who have it....Some may have paid to have their no claims bonus protected. I know I used too.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 8:06 pm
Never Live to Regret

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Maybe worth getting a letter from the previous insurer too

FYI No claims bonus does not mean no claims for all who have it....Some may have paid to have their no claims bonus protected. I know I used too.
Thank you I will do that too! Thanks for all the help