Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

car accident claims advice please - BC/ICBC

car accident claims advice please - BC/ICBC

Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:25 am
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold
Default car accident claims advice please - BC/ICBC

Hello... I'm trying to get a full spectum of opinions and lots of them fly around on here, so...

I was t-boned today (oh, my lovely car! ) and did the exchange of info, his fault 100%, a good witness, I accepted profuse apologies from one of the nicest old farts you could meet and have already made the ICBC claim (online, no claims centre appointment yet).

He's just called me and offered to pay for the damage... I'm assuming that's if I withdraw the claim (although, now that I'm typing, I'm not 100%... but it must be).

He's elderly, 84 and is fearing his licence being taken away... he's also very nice, lives in a swanky neighbourhood (I'm assuming this offer would not break him--- or even come close).

Since the accident, I've felt more bad about him, than myself. I could see that he was mortified... I'm not hugely materialistic though I do have that special relationship with my car that only horny women who drive MINIs along bumpy Ocean Drive can appreciate and prehaps I could get a better fix of my car 'privately' without ICBC interferring with a claim.

Also... I hate the thought of someone losing their freedom of mobility, if it's just a stupid mistake... but what if he really shouldn't be driving?

Argh!

I'm weighing the pros and cons...

What would you do? Advice?
Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car accident claims advice please - BC/ICBC

Go with your gut.

As long as you don't lose out of the situation, there's no harm in being nice.

Having said that, if there's a hidden problem with the car or heaven forbid, you, that only shows up later you'll have no recourse.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwp
Hello... I'm trying to get a full spectum of opinions and lots of them fly around on here, so...

I was t-boned today (oh, my lovely car! ) and did the exchange of info, his fault 100%, a good witness, I accepted profuse apologies from one of the nicest old farts you could meet and have already made the ICBC claim (online, no claims centre appointment yet).

He's just called me and offered to pay for the damage... I'm assuming that's if I withdraw the claim (although, now that I'm typing, I'm not 100%... but it must be).

He's elderly, 84 and is fearing his licence being taken away... he's also very nice, lives in a swanky neighbourhood (I'm assuming this offer would not break him--- or even come close).

Since the accident, I've felt more bad about him, than myself. I could see that he was mortified... I'm not hugely materialistic though I do have that special relationship with my car that only horny women who drive MINIs along bumpy Ocean Drive can appreciate and prehaps I could get a better fix of my car 'privately' without ICBC interferring with a claim.

Also... I hate the thought of someone losing their freedom of mobility, if it's just a stupid mistake... but what if he really shouldn't be driving?

Argh!

I'm weighing the pros and cons...

What would you do? Advice?
Peas,
I think you should go through the claim with ICBC and let them decide whether this elderly gentleman needs to go through a test.I know you meant well for him. However for his safety and safety of others ,I will not
rescue him from retesting if he needed one . If he is deemed unsafe then his
license should be taken away.
Good luck with your decision.
Yoong
Old Dec 31st 2008, 7:04 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

If he wants to pay out of his own pocket where is the harm?
Old Dec 31st 2008, 7:28 am
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

let him pay if he wants to but get the car fully checked over at a garage of your choosing to make sure it gets a proper repair, not a bodge job.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 7:34 am
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear about your accident. I had similar experience when young lad ran into back of me (what bone is that?). His Dad offered to pay after we'd put in our claim. So what we did was to get the claim assessed by ICBC and then went to authorised repair shop. They gave us a quote and we passed this onto the Dad. He then paid the repair shop directly in advance of the repair being done.

I talked with ICBC and found them very helpful really they were. Anyway the result was the other guy paid and no claim on my insurance. ICBC called to check that was what I wanted.

Only question then is should your guy be on the road at all?

Warmly,

Frank
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:29 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear about your accident, glad your ok.

Think I agree with Yoong on this one, I know that you do not want to be the one who is responsible for taking away his freedom. If he is deemed to be an unfit driver then it is not you, taking away his licence, it is the authorities. If he is a danger on the roads and the next person he hits is not as lucky as you....

How will you feel then?

Charlie
Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:20 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

I would personally take the elderley gentleman's money, and get the repairs done, as long as you get the job done on your terms.

Everyone has accidents from time to time, whatever their age. I assume he is not in the habit of major collisons or he would be draining his pension fund with repairs to vehicles.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:42 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yoong
Peas,
I think you should go through the claim with ICBC and let them decide whether this elderly gentleman needs to go through a test.I know you meant well for him. However for his safety and safety of others ,I will not
rescue him from retesting if he needed one . If he is deemed unsafe then his
license should be taken away.
Yoong
I agree with Yoong. I understand how you want be kind to the old guy, but the next accident he has might injure someone. It's kinder to him to make sure he's competent to drive. I once had a very similar incident with an elderly driver who took full responsibility (no choice, he did a u-turn in front of me going down a main road!), he paid the full amount of repairs through ICBC so it didn't affect his insurance renewal. But he had to go through a re-test as he was in his mid-80's. I don't know the outcome as they wouldn't tell me, but it is a safety issue.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheadboy
let him pay if he wants to but get the car fully checked over at a garage of your choosing to make sure it gets a proper repair, not a bodge job.

Agreed 100%-and get a 1 year warranty on all work..ask CAA for reputable garage cos a lot of them are not..
Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

What about your whiplash!!! I mean, the person I hit got whiplash and all I did was break his number plate!!!!!!
It appears all you have to do is say "my necks a bit sore" and they throw money at you to keep you quiet!!!!!! I'm not bitter in the slightest, it was, after all, a very nice number plate I broke.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:00 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
I agree with Yoong. I understand how you want be kind to the old guy, but the next accident he has might injure someone. It's kinder to him to make sure he's competent to drive. I once had a very similar incident with an elderly driver who took full responsibility (no choice, he did a u-turn in front of me going down a main road!), he paid the full amount of repairs through ICBC so it didn't affect his insurance renewal. But he had to go through a re-test as he was in his mid-80's. I don't know the outcome as they wouldn't tell me, but it is a safety issue.
But your assuming that his age was the reason for the accident..when anyone could make that mistake. I remember when my fiance's elderely 90 yr old Nana was driving and got smashed into, and although totally his fault, the guy decided to try and put the fault on the old dear by saying she wasn't indicating, swerving, couldn't see, when in fact she's one of the safer drivers i have driven with.

For all we know, the guy who was at fault in the OP could have texting on his blackberry.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Most importantly, are you ok?

Secondly, poor wee car.

Thirdly.......

How would you feel if he did the same thing to a car with a baby as a passenger?

Do the claim thing, then if you keel over in a week's time, you're covered.

J.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:15 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
But your assuming that his age was the reason for the accident..when anyone could make that mistake. I remember when my fiance's elderely 90 yr old Nana was driving and got smashed into, and although totally his fault, the guy decided to try and put the fault on the old dear by saying she wasn't indicating, swerving, couldn't see, when in fact she's one of the safer drivers i have driven with.

For all we know, the guy who was at fault in the OP could have texting on his blackberry.
I assumed no such thing. And if you read the OP he admitted it was his fault, and there were witnesses.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

I would go through with the formal claim. If he is safe to be on the road, he will pass a re-test, if not, you may have saved someone else in the future (or him) from injury in a worse smash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.