Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian PR but still working in the UK. Do we need health insurance?

Canadian PR but still working in the UK. Do we need health insurance?

Old Feb 26th 2015, 9:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian PR but still working in the UK. Do we need health insurance?

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
hmm i got drugs and xray no charges or questions ? My sister blabbed i live in Canada and still no issues ?
Which is why I suggested in post #3 that AC was correct in post #2 but that in practice the risk involved may be slight under the OP's circumstances.

But when she stated that she was worried about a multi day hospital stay, then that's a different matter. It depends on their acceptable level of risk.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian PR but still working in the UK. Do we need health insurance?

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It will really depend on whether your Dr knows you now live outside the UK, you should, legally, have told them you were no ;onger living in the UK, then they will have that info when they put the details in the computer, technically speaking you MAY be committing some sort of fraud. With a curremt crackdown on health tourism, and treating expats that have no valid right it may well become harder. Interestingly enough, when we retirned to the UK after 5 years to the same town we left from, the local surgery hd still got me registered as a patient, but my wife had been removed from their records.
i wasnt even in my home county, my details and records popped up straight away, treated straight away and they knew i have lived inn Canada for years.
Anywho theres a thread with two GPs on it and i sent them a pvt message and asked them to hop on here when they have a moment and give their opinions as doctors to assist the OP.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 10:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

i wasnt even in my home county, my details and records popped up straight away, treated straight away and they knew i have lived inn Canada for years.
Anywho theres a thread with two GPs on it and i sent them a pvt message and asked them to hop on here when they have a moment and give their opinions as doctors to assist the OP.
I've no doubt that your experience is not unique, and it's a good idea to ask the GPs on here their opinions too. But you haven't said how long ago you got free NHS care? The times they are a-changin'.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've no doubt that your experience is not unique, and it's a good idea to ask the GPs on here their opinions too. But you haven't said how long ago you got free NHS care? The times they are a-changin'.
last October while i was back for a Family wedding.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 10:20 pm
Born again atheist

last October while i was back for a Family wedding.
Fair enough.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fair enough.
i suppose at the time i never thought about the possibility of being turned away but the doctor & the A&E where fully aware i live in Canada and they didn't bat an eye. Theres a difference between health tourism and an ex pat & UK citizen being treated ???
Also after it all happened i remembered i had all my GWL out of country cards in my wallet which i suppose i would have remembered if they had refused me.
Also not everyones work health cover may have that, i have it because i was a trucker and ran the USA so we have to have it as standard but that means i'm covered when i go anywhere outside of Canada. Or i'm assuming thats why lol Assumption being the mother of all f*#@k ups lol
Old Feb 26th 2015, 10:36 pm
Born again atheist

Also after it all happened i remembered i had all my GWL out of country cards in my wallet which i suppose i would have remembered if they had refused me.
Also not everyones work health cover may have that, i have it because i was a trucker and ran the USA so we have to have it as standard but that means i'm covered when i go anywhere outside of Canada. Or i'm assuming thats why lol Assumption being the mother of all f*#@k ups lol
I have international health cover from my employer too when I'm abroad on business. A family wedding? Less so.

But I'm not trying to criticize or doubt you. The letter of the law is just a bit different. All strength to you but as I said upthread it's just a matter of how risk averse an individual might be.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 10:41 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

hmm i got drugs and xray no charges or questions ? My sister blabbed i live in Canada and still no issues ?
Because treatment in A and E is free to all. If admitted then you would have to pay.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

evelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond reputeevelyned has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is self employed so no insurance already sorted.

So from what I can gather, no he is not covered but there is a chance he would not be charged as we never mentioned it to the GP we were leaving.

I always rather be on the safe side so travel insurance it will be.

Thanks all! Oh and by the way I found this article so it might all be good soon

Brits abroad could have rights to free NHS treatment restored - Telegraph
Old Feb 27th 2015, 6:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably because it was emergency treatment? Which as the link says is free.

My husband was once asked for proof of residency after being knocked off his bike and having to have plastic surgery at a later date, not long after he returned from Canada. So they do definitely check up on it.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 12:54 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of years back I had to take my youngest daughter to see a GP and get some meds while visiting family over Christmas. We very definately had to pay both to see the GP and for the prescription antibiotics. I reclaimed through my healthcare plan when we got back to Canada.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 1:16 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

h

Why, when the answer has already been given and several times? Siouxie gave the most comprehensive answer with the relevant link.

If anyone has not been charged then that's a local decision by the healthcare practictioner.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I have international health cover from my employer too when I'm abroad on business. A family wedding? Less so.

But I'm not trying to criticize or doubt you. The letter of the law is just a bit different. All strength to you but as I said upthread it's just a matter of how risk averse an individual might be.
We have international health cover on my husbands work insurance, it covers us for ALL international travel, if he was not senior management group the international cover would only be for business related travel.

Also I suspect that whether you get away with being charged for stuff by the National Health depends on the doctor that you see. A few years ago we hosted a child from Belarus for a month. She had a really bad cough and we took her to see our GP. He treated her and provided prescription medicines for some months into the future (turns out she was asthmatic). There was no way this should have been covered by the NHS, but his view was it was a child and she needed help so he just kind of waved his hand and said don't worry about it.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 7:13 pm
limey party pooper

Treatment for certain infectious diseases is also free, for the benefit of the general public.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 9:22 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
We have international health cover on my husbands work insurance, it covers us for ALL international travel, if he was not senior management group the international cover would only be for business related travel.

It doesn't surprise me. As you know I'm just an hourly wage slave: how could I possibly expect such largesse?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.