Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Nurses - What are the working conditions like?

Canadian Nurses - What are the working conditions like?

Old Apr 26th 2015, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Shelley Bean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian Nurses - What are the working conditions like?

Originally Posted by Tirytory
It's actually a good point for nurses looking to gain PR... With the new Express Entry a nurse untill they have had their education assessed (which I presume but don't definitely know is the recognition of a professional body such as the CNO as it is was with my husband- a doctor) would mean you couldn't gain enough points to get an invitation to apply until you had registration and a job offer. To gain a job offer you would need registration anyway. That requires definite dedication to the idea of moving to Canada!
Yep, we're basically getting my husband's registration sorted, then applying to EE, then only job hunting once we are in the pool. So much time and money spent upfront with no guarantees- it's a leap of faith! But if it's possible to get sponsorship for a casual position it would open up extra options so that would be good.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 2:42 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shelley Bean
Yep, we're basically getting my husband's registration sorted, then applying to EE, then only job hunting once we are in the pool. So much time and money spent upfront with no guarantees- it's a leap of faith! But if it's possible to get sponsorship for a casual position it would open up extra options so that would be good.
How do the points stack up without a job offer and LMO? Have you done a preliminary check on how many points? What do you mean sponsorship? It's doubtful you could acquire an LMIA for a casual position.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Shelley Bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tirytory
How do the points stack up without a job offer and LMO? Have you done a preliminary check on how many points? What do you mean sponsorship? It's doubtful you could acquire an LMIA for a casual position.
Yeah that's what we've been assuming, that the position would have to be full time and permanent. Once he is registered we would have 452 points assuming that we each get top scores in the English test (I'd hope so being British but it depends how they do it) - so we may not need a job offer if the points required come down any more (last draw the minimum was 453) in which case casual work could be the route in on arrival. So, it's good to know that it's a viable option for a lot of nurses to get by and work enough hours.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 4:12 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shelley Bean
Yeah that's what we've been assuming, that the position would have to be full time and permanent. Once he is registered we would have 452 points assuming that we each get top scores in the English test (I'd hope so being British but it depends how they do it) - so we may not need a job offer if the points required come down any more (last draw the minimum was 453) in which case casual work could be the route in on arrival. So, it's good to know that it's a viable option for a lot of nurses to get by and work enough hours.
Good luck...I noticed that he's a psych nurse...it looks a bit easier to get registered so fingers crossed!

Last edited by Tirytory; Apr 26th 2015 at 4:16 pm.
Old May 3rd 2015, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

boofymoi is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently came across this website and wondered if anyone on here knew anything about it, as it may provide a way to get the job offer needed.

Nursing Career OrIENtation (NCO) Initiative | Home