Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Canadian love of Administrivia.

The Canadian love of Administrivia.

Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Canadian love of Administrivia.

Originally Posted by dbd33
Inevitably, the puritan view of smoking will move on to alcohol and we'll be drinking from cups so as to avoid showing beer.

I suggest that the Canadians are a dreary lot and that people who have a spark of life in them might do well to look elsewhere.
What are you talking about, you already have to go to a specific store in ontario to buy beer or booze? Alberta for one already has laws to cover hiding your booze.

Frankly, if hiding ciggys away prevents any kids from starting to smoke, then its a good thing. Someone should have implemented it years ago. Its not impinging on a smokers right to smoke, but hopefully its preventing at least some kids from taking it up. Sure, some fatty foods etc will increase your odds of an early death, but we all have to eat something, same cant be said for smoking or alcohol.

Im quite happy to live in a nation where these things are permitted, but not encouraged. Last thing I want is some pissed up 14 year old blowing smoke in my face. Had enough of that in the UK thanks.

Of course a generation of kids living on and on to be 110 and senile cos they never had the chance to be killed by their vices will totally cripple the canadian economy far more than a few years of cancer treatment, so maybe its not such a good thing. People dying from smoking induced diseases is just a way of thining the stoopid people out of the gene pool that bit earlier isnt it...But of course for all you smokers out there, it will never happen to YOU will it?..you will be in the lucky HALF.

Never ceases to amazes me how many people who tried and tried and couldnt break the habbit suddenly find the strength to give it up cold turkey after the diagnosis is made and its probably too late to do any good.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 4th 2008 at 9:01 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:56 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Frankly, if hiding ciggys away prevents any kids from starting to smoke, then its a good thing.
It's not going to though, is it? Kids smoke because it looks cool. They only way you'll stop them is by making looking cool unfashionable.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
It's not going to though, is it? Kids smoke because it looks cool. They only way you'll stop them is by making looking cool unfashionable.
Kids smoke because they can and they are affected by brand awareness at least as much as adults.

Hiding the ciggies away certainly wont increase the number of smokers, so why not try it as a tactic. Wont hurt people trying to give it up either...
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:17 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Kids smoke because they can and they are affected by brand awareness at least as much as adults.

Hiding the ciggies away certainly wont increase the number of smokers, so why not try it as a tactic. Wont hurt people trying to give it up either...
Maybe it will. Forbidden fruit and all that. Hiding it away only makes it some more mysterious and sexy.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:27 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree, iaink. Back in the UK I'd say that the majority of young smokers tend to smoke the "cool" brands such as Marlboro Lights.

You don't see too many wannabe cool kids tamping down a pipe with a wad of rough shag, and that's just as 'forbidden'.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:50 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
You don't see too many wannabe cool kids tamping down a pipe with a wad of rough shag, and that's just as 'forbidden'.
Maybe it's because Foggy from 'Last of the Summer Wine' never had the right PR people.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:56 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Alberta for one already has laws to cover hiding your booze.
It does?

Pray tell what is that?
I live here and am not aware of any law making you hide booze.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hiding the ciggies away certainly wont increase the number of smokers, so why not try it as a tactic.
I've just come in from buying ciggies at the local Mac and have discovered an unexpected upside to this nonsense. Apart from my usual brand, I was buying another brand for my son. It's called Belmont, but I accidentally said Belair.

The Afghani counter assistant spent a good 10 minutes raising one flap after another searching for this mythical brand, until I realised my mistake. In the meantime a queue of about 15 idiots wanting to buy Friday 649 tickets built up behind me.

This is a good thing, because usually I have to wait for ages behind these imbeciles as they ponder their random, hopeless, choices of numbers.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:28 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly, if hiding ciggys away prevents any kids from starting to smoke, then its a good thing. Its not impinging on a smokers right to smoke, but hopefully its preventing at least some kids from taking it up.

Im quite happy to live in a nation where these things are permitted, but not encouraged. Last thing I want is some pissed up 14 year old blowing smoke in my face. Had enough of that in the UK thanks.
Good points.
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The Afghani counter assistant spent a good 10 minutes raising one flap after another.....In the meantime a queue of about 15 idiots wanting to buy Friday 649 tickets built up behind me.

This is a good thing, because usually I have to wait for ages behind these imbeciles as they ponder their random, hopeless, choices of numbers.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:39 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Today I walked into a shop in Ontario to buy some skins. There used to be rows of cigarettes behind the counter but now there are just metal cases. "Say what happened?, Crime wave in Guelph?" I asked. Apparently not, it's now no longer lawful to display cigarettes for sale in a country where at least two provinces (Ontario and BC) produce marijuana as their primary cash crop.
Why the need for skins ? Pipes are better, cheaper too - and no trees chopped down for yer smoking pleasure.

ps Quebec is rising high (pun intended) on the "illicit green economy" scale.

R.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:20 am
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

Today I walked into a shop in Ontario to buy some skins. There used to be rows of cigarettes behind the counter but now there are just metal cases. "Say what happened?, Crime wave in Guelph?" I asked. Apparently not, it's now no longer lawful to display cigarettes for sale in a country where at least two provinces (Ontario and BC) produce marijuana as their primary cash crop.

I know Canadians love legislation and they love bureaucracy ( I delighted in being fined for "football in public park" and "allowing children to paddle without permit"), they feel safe when tightly regulated, but I suggest that this compulsion to banning and hiding diminishes the quality of life. Inevitably, the puritan view of smoking will move on to alcohol and we'll be drinking from cups so as to avoid showing beer.

I suggest that the Canadians are a dreary lot and that people who have a spark of life in them might do well to look elsewhere.
I feel the need too stick up for my peeps. I think some of the blame for all this bureaucracy and petty legislation comes from our apathy. All these stupid rules is a result of a noisy intolerant minority that no one can be bothered to tell too shut up. Most Canadians, I feel, are in favour people playing football or even soccer in a park. Also have sense to know that nicotine addiction is not the result of being subjected to displays in shops. However as my dad always said, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:29 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
It's a good way of keeping a**holes out of the country!
Actually I think it keeps 'em in
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:33 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingnut
I feel the need too stick up for my peeps. I think some of the blame for all this bureaucracy and petty legislation comes from our apathy. All these stupid rules is a result of a noisy intolerant minority that no one can be bothered to tell too shut up. Most Canadians, I feel, are in favour people playing football or even soccer in a park. Also have sense to know that nicotine addiction is not the result of being subjected to displays in shops. However as my dad always said, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
There you go Bazzz - run with it my son.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Steve_P
It does?

Pray tell what is that?
I live here and am not aware of any law making you hide booze.
I vaguely remember one disillusioned poster returning to the UK annoyed (among other things) at being fined for drinking wine in public at a picnic in a park or something out there...should have had it in a paper cup or somesuch nonsense? Cant remember any other details though
Old Jun 5th 2008, 1:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I vaguely remember one disillusioned poster returning to the UK annoyed (among other things) at being fined for drinking wine in public at a picnic in a park or something out there...should have had it in a paper cup or somesuch nonsense? Cant remember any other details though
I've been fined for "wine with picnic" and "allowing children to paddle, no permit". Governing, legislating, enforcing nonsense laws, it's what keeps the non-immigrants off the streets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.