Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian driving licence any good in UK?

Canadian driving licence any good in UK?

Old Nov 22nd 2017, 9:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian driving licence any good in UK?

Originally Posted by Bobrovsky
Maybe the licences from the other countries (with reciprocal agreement) indicate that the licence is valid for driving automatic cars only.
I would suspect that is the case. It certainly is true for Australia.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 1:55 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
They being the DVLA?
Yes, but I am not sure who else it would have been though?
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 6:39 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Yes, but I am not sure who else it would have been though?
You were previously referring to ICBC. Did you receive this advice whilst on the phone to the DVLA?
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 3:08 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You were previously referring to ICBC. Did you receive this advice whilst on the phone to the DVLA?
ICBC doing the letter, DVLA being OK with the letter.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 11:08 pm

Were you successful?
Old Feb 7th 2018, 8:53 am
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, this being for both my wife and my brothers wife (we both married Canadians ), the DVLA will only issue an automatic license in exchange for a Canadian one for exactly that reason that even if ICBC state there is no difference in a letter, they still can't prove the test was taken in a manual car, and therefore the ability to drive a manual. In both cases our wives had to take the full British manual test to be able to drive a manual car. This is within the last few years.
My brother and his wife even bought a manual car not realising that her license wasn't valid and she only found out when she got pulled over by the police for speeding and they checked her license. The DVLA weren't in the slightest bit interested in the fact she had been driving manuals her whole life because she, nor ICBC, could prove it.