Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada vs USA?

Canada vs USA?

Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada vs USA?

Originally Posted by colchar
I have US Citizenship and ideally I would prefer to live back in California, San Diego specifically as I really miss it at times, and there is nowhere in Canada on par with the lifestyle San Diego can offer.

But we don't live in an ideal world, and compromises have to be made when you share your life with another person. I'd never ask my partner to move to the US due to her health issues, and overall I am better off here financially as well since wages tend to be higher in the lower level jobs.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

kevin041 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That would depend if you had a chance of getting a visa to live in the US or Canada. It is much harder to obtain a visa for the US.
I would apply for E2 business visa for the US. My wife is eligible for the skilled worker program in Canada (she's a nurse).
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
If you've visited both countries then I suspect you wouldn't be asking this question, so I am going to assume that you haven't.
I visited Niagara Falls once. Thought it was a bit of a dump. That's the only experience I have of Canada.

I have had many holidays in Florida. Loved it. But that's looking at it from a tourist viewpoint.

Can you elaborate on your remark "I suspect you wouldn't be asking this question"? Thank you.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin041
I visited Niagara Falls once. Thought it was a bit of a dump. That's the only experience I have of Canada.
You should have a look at Niagara Falls, NY.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bc_guy
As someone who has lived in both countries, I'd say Canada. Well, it really depends on which part of Canada since it's a very big country. I liked the area of Canada I lived in because people seemed to be genuinely friendly for the most part. There were a few tossers but that number is significantly lower than the number of tossers I met in the USA. Not only that, but I found Canadians to be more realistic and have way more common sense and basic education than Americans.

Again, I have to stress that my experience falls more into a city comparison, not a country comparison. But based on what's out there in the media, I feel far safer, more secure and more at ease in Canada than I do in the USA. If I become a Canadian citizen and got legal entitlement to live where I used to in Canada, I wouldn't even care if I never went back to the US again. Relative to Canada, the benefits of living in the US are overwhelmingly outweighed by the troubles of living there (in my opinion anyway). Ever since I've lived in Canada, I now cringe whenever I think about America and Americans overall. I respect the US orders of magnitude more than my own country, yet they still make me cringe and shake my head in utter disbelief of their virtual stupidity and willful ignorance.
There are tossers everywhere unfortunately. It's about finding somewhere with the right tosser/quality of life balance

Where did you live if you don't mind me asking?
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Plus my girlfriend can't live in the US without going bankrupt because of health issues.
I'm thinking that is a good reason to choose Canada
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JamesM
If healthcare and gun control factor into the OP's decision then they should be remaining in the UK and not looking at either Canada or the US.
Plenty of guns in the UK (specifically London). I also think our NHS is about to implode.

Canada has good healthcare so not sure that would be a reason to factor in to my decision compared to the UK. I also believe Canada has very low gun crime.

Comparing UK to US I can see a big difference (in healthcare and gun control).
Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You should have a look at Niagara Falls, NY.
Yep - Niagara Falls, NY is scary compared to Niagara Falls, ON. More economically depressed than dangerous I would say. I stayed at a B&B there almost a year ago as I was going to a concert at the Rapids Theatre in NFNY. There was basically nothing around the theatre. I was able to walk to and from it and hardly met anyone on the street until I got to the theater. The girl who worked in the B&B was a student who lived in NFNY. She told me that her house (not the B&B) was one of a very few on her street that wasn't empty and boarded up.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yep - Niagara Falls, NY is scary compared to Niagara Falls, ON. More economically depressed than dangerous I would say. I stayed at a B&B there almost a year ago as I was going to a concert at the Rapids Theatre in NFNY. There was basically nothing around the theatre. I was able to walk to and from it and hardly met anyone on the street until I got to the theater. The girl who worked in the B&B was a student who lived in NFNY. She told me that her house (not the B&B) was one of a very few on her street that wasn't empty and boarded up.
Blimey! Seriously though, majorly disappointed in Niagara Falls ON. Very tired and depressed.

I also traveled to Toronto (city) and was not particularly impressed with the journey. For the whole journey the place looked very industrial. It was middle of winter so it was also very grey and somewhat miserable but I can understand that with the time of year. But the industrial aspect of it did not appeal to me at all.

I had a very different image of Canada in my head.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I also believe Canada has very low gun crime.
"Very low" is subjective and it really depends on how you look at it. Gun crime is lower in Canada compared to the US. However, it is higher in Canada compared to the UK.

Gun homicides and gun ownership listed by country | News | theguardian.com
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Blimey! Seriously though, majorly disappointed in Niagara Falls ON. Very tired and depressed.
It's great to see the Falls but the rest of it isn't particularly exciting. Mostly just a tourist trap designed to separate you from your money. Niagara-on-the-Lake and the surrounding wineries are worth a visit though.

I also traveled to Toronto (city) and was not particularly impressed with the journey. For the whole journey the place looked very industrial. It was middle of winter so it was also very grey and somewhat miserable but I can understand that with the time of year. But the industrial aspect of it did not appeal to me at all.

I lived in Toronto for 7 years and also visit quite frequently. I was there just last week and will be there again at the end of next week. The drive from Niagara Falls to Toronto is bleak. Endless suburban sprawl around what is know as the 'Golden Horseshoe' as well as the smoke stacks of Hamilton. However, you rarely see the best of somewhere from the highway. Toronto itself is one of my favourite North American cities. However, if you are looking for the stereotypical Canadian scenery, South Western Ontario is not the place to be.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Aug 18th 2014 at 9:50 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is, Canada is a very big country. It varies a lot from place to place. As does the US. It's probably not fair to base your view of Canada on one little part of it. Or the US on one little bit of that. And like you say, you've done them as a tourist, which is really different from looking at them as actual places to live.

I was born in a small town in Saskatchewan. But I chose not to live there when I returned to Canada, because I preferred the lifestyle I could have on Vancouver Island. They are both in Canada, but miles apart in more than just distance.

I love lots of California in lots of ways, although if I based my entire view of the US on LA, I would never want to go there - it's a sprawling, soulless place as far as I'm concerned. But I loved San Francisco and San Diego If I based my view of the US on Indianapolis, I'd think the whole country was really boring, because I found Indianapolis dull. But I loved Chicago.

Personally, Canada wins hands down over the US for me. My husband and I probably could have moved to California if we had wanted to (his work is with a company based there, although he can mostly work from anywhere with an internet connection). But we very quickly decided that Canada was our top choice, and would suit us much better. I like the US, and I really enjoy going there, but I prefer Canada as a place to live. Canada has a lot of what I like about the US, but without the BS that I really don't like about the US.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
U are RICH I claim my $5
HaHa, sorry, didn't explain very well. IF I had the money, that's what I would do.
As it stands, I ain't got a ha'penny to scratch my ass with.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
Thing is, Canada is a very big country. It varies a lot from place to place. As does the US. It's probably not fair to base your view of Canada on one little part of it. Or the US on one little bit of that. And like you say, you've done them as a tourist, which is really different from looking at them as actual places to live.

I was born in a small town in Saskatchewan. But I chose not to live there when I returned to Canada, because I preferred the lifestyle I could have on Vancouver Island. They are both in Canada, but miles apart in more than just distance.

I love lots of California in lots of ways, although if I based my entire view of the US on LA, I would never want to go there - it's a sprawling, soulless place as far as I'm concerned. But I loved San Francisco and San Diego If I based my view of the US on Indianapolis, I'd think the whole country was really boring, because I found Indianapolis dull. But I loved Chicago.

Personally, Canada wins hands down over the US for me. My husband and I probably could have moved to California if we had wanted to (his work is with a company based there, although he can mostly work from anywhere with an internet connection). But we very quickly decided that Canada was our top choice, and would suit us much better. I like the US, and I really enjoy going there, but I prefer Canada as a place to live. Canada has a lot of what I like about the US, but without the BS that I really don't like about the US.
Great post, thank you! And yes, I agree 100% it is wrong to base an opinion on a country based on one small visit to one area. I wasn't judging Canada at all, just expressing what I thought of Niagara and my journey from Niagara to Toronto.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It's great to see the Falls but the rest of it isn't particularly exciting. Mostly just a tourist trap designed to separate you from your money. Niagara-on-the-Lake and the surrounding wineries are worth a visit though.

I lived in Toronto for 7 years and also visit quite frequently. I was there just last week and will be there again at the end of next week. The drive from Niagara Falls to Toronto is bleak. Endless suburban sprawl around what is know as the 'Golden Horseshoe' and well as the smoke stacks of Hamilton. However, you rarely see the best of somewhere from the highway. Toronto itself is one of my favourite North American cities. However, if you are looking for the stereotypical Canadian scenery though, South Western Ontario is not the place to be.
This makes a lot of sense, thank you.

I'm curious, where would you find the stereotypical Canadian scenery? BC?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.