Reload this Page >

Open Work Permit HELP

Open Work Permit HELP

Old Mar 25th 2012, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Allycatnip is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Open Work Permit HELP

Hi All

My partner was granted an open work permit (whilst I am doing a post grad). His current employer in England suggested for him to work remotely from Canada whenever they need him. My partner wants to find a full time job in Canada though. Do you guys think he would be able to work full time in Canada and help out his employer in England when needed? Since he would get paid by his english employer into and english account would he have to pay canadian income tax on it? Would this be classified as a second job in canada or as a freelance job? We are very confused.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 25th 2012, 3:07 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Open Work Permit HELP

On the income side, if he is a tax resident of Canada then he has to declare his worldwide income (and his tax paid in other countries) to the CRA (the tax man). The determination on tax resident is based on a lot of factors but it sounds like he will be.

He will also have to declare all income to HMRC as well but again he declares his tax paid in other countries so should not be taxed twice.

As for working for a canadian company and a UK one at the same time, I dont see any issues.

Obviously he might have to check if he needs permission from his Canadian company. I remember UK companies I worked for had a clause about that but not sure about Canadian companies.

Cheers

JB
Old Mar 25th 2012, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Allycatnip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Open Work Permit HELP

Thanks thats really helpful. I think we will just contact the relevant tax offices and see what they say before we go.