Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada Residency card renewal - madness

Canada Residency card renewal - madness

Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:21 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canada Residency card renewal - madness

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm no expert but....it occurs to me that Bank cards, security access cards, benefit cards and the like all contain information that gets amended without the card itself having to be replaced.

So something like an expiry date can surely be extended similarly?
Bank cards and the like do expire, so that security features can be updated and to limit the number of versions in circulation. But there's less information on a bank card (no photo, for example). A lot of the information can be updated without reissuing the card because it's not on the card in the first place.

Cards that are part of a small, closed system (like access cards for a building) don't need expiry dates because you can simply recall and reissue all cards if you need to.

As an aside: my mother-in-law has an old Sears card from the 1970s. It doesn't have an expiry date. It's also not the same shape as a modern credit card. That caused no end of confusion when she tried to use it a few years back.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 12:51 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cornmatthew
Bank cards and the like do expire...

Cards that are part of a small, closed system (like access cards for a building) don't need expiry dates because you can simply recall and reissue all cards if you need to.
True but the information can still be changed without the need to cancel the card. I remember my first ever bank card (cashpoint) had no date on. I changed the PIN and had limits changed all without sending the card back.

What exactly is on the PR card doesn't really matter either. Whoever you show it to is either interested in your identifying details & date only, or they have access to more information than is on the card anyway.

Currently, the renewal card will match information held on computer. I'm not seeing any reason why it has to be a brand new card when the computer info is updated.

My point was only that if the card itself didn't need replacing, the renewal aspect need not be so problematic as it appears to be.

A quick visit to a Gov office showing docs proving time in Canada etc and it should be possible to issue a card just as they do with other Photo cards. With an appropriate design that could suffice alongside the original PR card couldn't it? If there was the will that is.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:00 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

True but the information can still be changed without the need to cancel the card. I remember my first ever bank card (cashpoint) had no date on. I changed the PIN and had limits changed all without sending the card back.

What exactly is on the PR card doesn't really matter either. Whoever you show it to is either interested in your identifying details & date only, or they have access to more information than is on the card anyway.

Currently, the renewal card will match information held on computer. I'm not seeing any reason why it has to be a brand new card when the computer info is updated.

My point was only that if the card itself didn't need replacing, the renewal aspect need not be so problematic as it appears to be.

A quick visit to a Gov office showing docs proving time in Canada etc and it should be possible to issue a card just as they do with other Photo cards. With an appropriate design that could suffice alongside the original PR card couldn't it? If there was the will that is.
I can't tell you the amount of converstions I've had saying just that. Why is it such a lengthy process when it is simply a renewal? I'm so frustrated....it took months to get my immigration papers (over a year), almost a year to get my teaching quals transferred (and still have to do 2 courses to complete it) and now this. Aaaggghhh.........................it's infuriating and clearly the system is not working!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:11 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

You're thinking very short term. There's a reason drivers' licences aren't the same as they were 20 or 30 years ago: those older cards are now considered too easily faked.

Replacing cards every few years ensures that new designs can be introduced and older ones phased out as needed.

It may be that a 10-year expiry is sufficient to satisfy that requirement. It certainly seems good enough for some other countries.

Which government office is that, then? Here in Ontario, there's no such thing as an on-the-spot photo card. You apply for a driver's licence in person and receive it by mail a few weeks later. If you can get a card on the spot where you are, enjoy it while it lasts. I'd expect that will change in the not too distant future.

There's a general trend towards centralizing production of secure documents. The theory is that it's harder to compromise a central production facility than one of many distributed offices. It's the same reasoning behind Brits in Canada having to get passports through Washington.

I do note that my last driver's licence renewal took a couple weeks and my Canadian passport, six days. So centralized production can be relatively speedy where there's a will.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

You're thinking very short term. There's a reason drivers' licences aren't the same as they were 20 or 30 years ago: those older cards are now considered too easily faked.

Replacing cards every few years ensures that new designs can be introduced and older ones phased out as needed.

It may be that a 10-year expiry is sufficient to satisfy that requirement. It certainly seems good enough for some other countries.

Which government office is that, then? Here in Ontario, there's no such thing as an on-the-spot photo card. You apply for a driver's licence in person and receive it by mail a few weeks later. If you can get a card on the spot where you are, enjoy it while it lasts. I'd expect that will change in the not too distant future.

There's a general trend towards centralizing production of secure documents. The theory is that it's harder to compromise a central production facility than one of many distributed offices. It's the same reasoning behind Brits in Canada having to get passports through Washington.

I do note that my last driver's licence renewal took a couple weeks and my Canadian passport, six days. So centralized production can be relatively speedy where there's a will.
That's how it's done in both NB and NS. Walk in, photo taken, printed, out the door. You have to get it mailed in Ontario? Don't tell me the Maritimes are bleeding edge on something?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
That's how it's done in both NB and NS. Walk in, photo taken, printed, out the door. You have to get it mailed in Ontario? Don't tell me the Maritimes are bleeding edge on something?
Melancthon has the same technology. It does take a moment for the card to be ready but, in that time, one can pop over to the feedmill and pick up some bales or oats or ammunition.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:13 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
I can't tell you the amount of converstions I've had saying just that. Why is it such a lengthy process when it is simply a renewal? I'm so frustrated....it took months to get my immigration papers (over a year), almost a year to get my teaching quals transferred (and still have to do 2 courses to complete it) and now this. Aaaggghhh.........................it's infuriating and clearly the system is not working!
Thought you were moving back to the UK?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

So my idea of a Permanent PR card supplemented by one renewable more locally covers it then.

Which government office is that, then? Here in Ontario, there's no such thing as an on-the-spot photo card. You apply for a driver's licence in person and receive it by mail a few weeks later. If you can get a card on the spot where you are, enjoy it while it lasts.
You mean it's not standard? My God, if NB can do it other places should manage it.

Seriously, it needn't be on the spot. Just a more local (convenient) application. Mail it by all means - though isn't that less secure?

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 28th 2010 at 3:47 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:37 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

All I'm thinking is that if they have decreed there should be one why make it awkward to renew?
It's dead simple to renew, the application form takes minutes to fill in, add in a photo and pay the fee on-line and you're good to go.

The problem is they simply aren't processing the applications. And by that I mean in absolute terms THEY ARE NOT PROCESSING THE APPLICATIONS. At all.

The priority date is STILL February 8th and they have now lengthened the processing time to 193 days. Literally for weeks the only thing that has changed on their website is the processing time. I'm sure it said 83 days when I sent mine in at the end of April, I would have sent it in earlier otherwise. This week it says 193 days, last week it said 186 days, couple of weeks before 172 days.

It's a joke. They just lengthen the processing time by a week every week.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 5:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You mean it's not standard? My God, if NB can do it other places should manage it.
Same in Alberta, you get a temp licence valid for a couple of weeks and they mail the licence to you. The reason they do it that way is so they can centralize the manufacture of the cards and also it's an anti-fraud measure to make sure the address you give them is legitimate.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:07 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Steve_
It's dead simple to renew, the application form takes minutes to fill in, add in a photo and pay the fee on-line and you're good to go.
Yeah...I didn't mean to imply it wasn't an easy process. When I said awkward I meant actually getting the renewal card. Not knowing when you will have it could be awkward.

Same in Alberta, you get a temp licence valid for a couple of weeks and they mail the licence to you. The reason they do it that way is so they can centralize the manufacture of the cards and also it's an anti-fraud measure to make sure the address you give them is legitimate.
There are other ways to verify an address, though.

Presumably you have to sign on delivery in Alberta? To prevent it being intercepted? Not a problem with a personal issue.

Centralizing the PR cards is maybe not helping though. Perhaps there's more flexibility in having more than one processing point.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

They will never decentralize it after the scandal with the Québec immigration dept corruption.

I don't remember signing for my licence when I got it... hmm...
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:23 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Thought you were moving back to the UK?
I am but want to keep my residency card. I may do my courses from the UK in case I come back one day but who knows.....
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:57 pm
Lost in Space

The problem is they simply aren't processing the applications. And by that I mean in absolute terms THEY ARE NOT PROCESSING THE APPLICATIONS. At all.

The priority date is STILL February 8th and they have now lengthened the processing time to 193 days. Literally for weeks the only thing that has changed on their website is the processing time. I'm sure it said 83 days when I sent mine in at the end of April, I would have sent it in earlier otherwise. This week it says 193 days, last week it said 186 days, couple of weeks before 172 days.

It's a joke. They just lengthen the processing time by a week every week.
I'm wondering about putting in a new application marked urgent but I don't have proof of travel as we're going by land into the USA and Mexico. Can you submit a new one?

And yes, when I put mine in around mid March it was about 84 days too and now look at it. I have no hope getting it before October. A friend suggested booking a refundable flight!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:01 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

You have to book a flight, that's what I've done, it really stinks because I go to the US on a regular basis but I drive down, so I've been forced to guess on the best time to fly which sucks.

My MP is the Minister of Immigration, anyway they got a fax from him and suddenly they've been very communicative, with him at least. They immediately pulled my application (you MUST send it by recorded mail for them to be able to do this, otherwise it has to be resubmitted).

I got a standard e-mail from them, but they're actually faxing my MP at each step of the process. Helps to have friends in high places I guess.

But you must be able to show a travel ticket and it must be confirmed. Doesn't have to be a plane ticket, could be bus or ship. (I wouldn't have thought that was a problem given where you live).