Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada - most reputable country in the world

Canada - most reputable country in the world

Old Jul 24th 2015, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canada - most reputable country in the world

Canada unveiled as the country with 'the best reputation' in survey on global perceptions - Americas - World - The Independent
Old Jul 24th 2015, 9:22 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada - most reputable country in the world

Unfortunately though, not the best economy in the world..by a long shot.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 10:56 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

And of the people surveyed, how many knew where Canada was or any details about it?

Americans Attempt To Answer Basic Questions About Canada And Fail

And even better:

Nova Scotia ‘virtually non-existent’ on global business stage, report says - The Globe and Mail

Quoting an interviewee, the report says: “I think the overwhelming phrase is ‘Where is it?’ and ‘What are they doing up there other than fishing?’”
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Americans generally don't think of Canada at all. A little bit like the Brits tend to not think of, say, Luxembourg.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 12:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Americans generally don't think of Canada at all. A little bit like the Brits tend to not think of, say, Luxembourg.
The amount of people that get uptight because people in the US don't think of Canada or know enough about Canada is amusing, Canadians think about the US way too much and borderlines on being a national obsession.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:05 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:06 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

And what is Mike Huckabee doing nowadays... hmm...
Old Jul 25th 2015, 1:11 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Don't you mean like, how the Brits tend not to think of Canada either?

I mean hey, it's only a G7 country.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You have to at least be in people's thoughts to finish top of a poll like this regardless of whether people's knowledge of you is questionable.

I live in the US and most Americans I know have little idea about anything to do with Canada and couldn't name the Canadian prime minster. But, then again, they also know little about Britain and couldn't name the British prime minister either. Same goes for most other countries actually.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

worklifebalance is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I live in the US and most Americans I know have little idea about anything to do with Canada and couldn't name the Canadian prime minster. But, then again, they also know little about Britain and couldn't name the British prime minister either. Same goes for most other countries actually.

Some would say most of them would be challenged to name both of their own parents so naming both prime ministers of UK and Canada is asking to much.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 12:07 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Same goes for most other countries actually.
Exactly, so what you're actually saying is that international surveys are a waste of time. I agree. Basically the "respect" for Canada is based on the fact they've heard little or nothing about Canada.

Quiz the average Canadian on Mexico.

Actually when I'm in Arizona the subject of Mexico comes up in conversation quite often and I do quiz Americans about it, e.g. what is the name of the Mexican State that borders Arizona? Generally speaking they only know if (a) they're from Mexico or (b) they've been on vacation to Rocky Point.

Ask the average Canadian to name all the provincial capitals.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 12:07 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The amount of people that get uptight because people in the US don't think of Canada or know enough about Canada is amusing, Canadians think about the US way too much and borderlines on being a national obsession.
Well that is the actual national pastime, not hockey. Comparing Canada to the US.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_
Exactly, so what you're actually saying is that international surveys are a waste of time. I agree. Basically the "respect" for Canada is based on the fact they've heard little or nothing about Canada.

Quiz the average Canadian on Mexico.

Actually when I'm in Arizona the subject of Mexico comes up in conversation quite often and I do quiz Americans about it, e.g. what is the name of the Mexican State that borders Arizona? Generally speaking they only know if (a) they're from Mexico or (b) they've been on vacation to Rocky Point.

Ask the average Canadian to name all the provincial capitals.
By "same goes for most other countries", I meant the same goes for most other countries in terms of how much knowledge Americans have of those countries. I think citizens of other countries generally have a better grasp of foreign affairs (which is more than just geography) than most Americans do. News on foreign affairs is rarely broadcast in the mainstream US media unless it directly affects the US. Most Americans have a very US-centric view of foreign affairs whereas people in other countries are more likely to take an interest even if they don't directly affect their own country. Part of this is due to the sheer size of the US and where is it situated geographically in the world.

If respect for Canada is based on people hearing little or nothing about Canada, then why aren't other, less well known countries near the top of the list?

Last edited by MarylandNed; Jul 26th 2015 at 2:42 am.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 3:27 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I would certainly agree that most Americans are not made aware of foreign affairs unless being directly impacted upon, in significant part obviously as a result of US centric media reporting. I found it fascinating that on a recent visit to the National World War II Museum in New Orleans (which incidentally is a very impressive museum) that Canada was mentioned only once as being part of the Allied forces and incredibly there was no mention at all of the involvement of other allies including Australia and New Zealand. They did recognise the British and Russian forces played a part though! Of course the inference perhaps as expected, was that Americans won the war for the Allies! Clearly things have greatly changed over the years despite instant access to newsworthy events throughout the entire world
Old Jul 26th 2015, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I would certainly agree that most Americans are not made aware of foreign affairs unless being directly impacted upon, in significant part obviously as a result of US centric media reporting. I found it fascinating that on a recent visit to the National World War II Museum in New Orleans (which incidentally is a very impressive museum) that Canada was mentioned only once as being part of the Allied forces and incredibly there was no mention at all of the involvement of other allies including Australia and New Zealand. They did recognise the British and Russian forces played a part though! Of course the inference perhaps as expected, was that Americans won the war for the Allies! Clearly things have greatly changed over the years despite instant access to newsworthy events throughout the entire world
I have 4 kids. My oldest 2 daughters were born in Canada but raised mostly in the US so they consider themselves to be American. My wife and I have been concerned for a while about the US-centric stuff they have been learning in the US public school system - an example being what you mentioned above. I've found myself at odds with some of the stuff they've been taught which makes for vigorous dinner table debate at times. So we have encouraged them to travel, learn more about the world and gain a different perspective.

The oldest daughter is at university in Canada and one of the first things she reported was her surprise at the number of students (from Canada and elsewhere in the world) who didn't have the opinion that the US was the greatest country in the world. US kids are brought up here to believe that it is the greatest country in the world and they just assume the rest of the world believes it too. I think gaining a different perspective on the US from outside the US has been good for my daughter. Instead of just hearing positives all the time (some of it bordering on brainwashing and propaganda!), she hears criticism too and it has been enlightening for her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.