Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada... but where?

Canada... but where?

Old Nov 21st 2014, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

marchhare is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Canada... but where?

I'm pretty early in my journey although I've been wanting to move to Canada for several years, I'm still researching and hopefully planning a visit sooner rather than later. I know everyone is different and therefore have varying opinions on where is the best place to live in Canada, but considering when I visit I won't be able to do a country-wide tour, I'd like to choose a place I'm likely to enjoy visiting and possibly eventually move to later on.

I research as much as I can but I'd like to ask you guys for your thoughts, if you would be so kind as to offer them. To give an idea of what I'd ideally like in a destination... I currently live in Birmingham and I hate it. I've always hated it. Born here and moved north and south over the years only to return through necessity. So anywhere like Birmingham, if you know it, I would like to avoid. Unless of course such a place has some significant benefits to balance out the bad.

I like the outdoors, nature, generally prefer winter to summer so don't mind cooler places. I'm not overly interested in clubbing and such but would prefer not to be too isolated, I'd still like to meet people! That said, I like time to myself too, I like calm.

Is that too much to ask?

Apologies for the long post.

Last edited by marchhare; Nov 21st 2014 at 12:14 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 12:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada... but where?

Are you already a Canadian citizen or PR? The reason I ask is that if you're not, it may well be that you'll need a job offer to get a visa, and therefore worrying about where is nice to live might be a bit 'putting the cart before the horse'!

If you do need an employment based visa, then you'll just have to go wherever you can find an employer willing to go through the hassle and cost of hiring you, so you may not get much say in where you go, and also your industry may be much stronger in one province than another. If that's the case, then I'd focus on finding out where your skills may be in demand, and then tailor your search accordingly.

I'm a Brummie girl, and I can't blame you for hating it! What is it you don't like about it?
Old Nov 21st 2014, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Hello, fellow Brummie I'm nowhere near PR yet, I'm in the planning stage, although I know things can change and there's no guarantee of anything. I'm planning for a trip out there first and I've been looking at Vancouver BC, Calgary AB and Fredericton NB, even though I gather they're reasonably different.

I guess I'm trying more to get an idea of where to visit first, at this stage at least. If I'm planning a visit I'd like to go somewhere I have a fair chance of liking!

As for Birmingham, I just despise it. I hate the atmosphere of this place, the majority of the people, the unbearably depressing dense housing that goes up more quickly than ever before, the largely miserable, unpleasant and aggressive attitude of the place. I've never been meant to stay here, I know it. I know that nowhere is perfect and everywhere has an element of these things, but I find it's pretty bad here. Do you have bad memories of the city?
Old Nov 21st 2014, 1:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marchhare
As for Birmingham, I just despise it. I hate the atmosphere of this place, the majority of the people, the unbearably depressing dense housing that goes up more quickly than ever before, the largely miserable, unpleasant and aggressive attitude of the place. I've never been meant to stay here, I know it. I know that nowhere is perfect and everywhere has an element of these things, but I find it's pretty bad here. Do you have bad memories of the city?
Not really, I moved away when I was quite a bit younger and most of my family lived in Edgbaston, so it wasn't too bad and I've never experienced the miserable and aggressive attitude you mention. It's not somewhere I'd rush back to though!

If you hate it that much, then why not move elsewhere in the UK whilst you work towards Canada? I live in a lovely village in Berkshire now, not a hint of dense housing or miserable attitudes anywhere!

What do you do? You've mentioned three very different places in Canada and it may be that your skills are suited to one more than the other two.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 1:36 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, fellow Brummie I'm nowhere near PR yet, I'm in the planning stage, although I know things can change and there's no guarantee of anything. I'm planning for a trip out there first and I've been looking at Vancouver BC, Calgary AB and Fredericton NB, even though I gather they're reasonably different.

I guess I'm trying more to get an idea of where to visit first, at this stage at least. If I'm planning a visit I'd like to go somewhere I have a fair chance of liking!

Your search seems a little broad. It covers about 2,500 miles, in a straight line!

I agree with you about Brum. I've only ever had the pleasure of visiting it.

Dump.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not really, I moved away when I was quite a bit younger and most of my family lived in Edgbaston, so it wasn't too bad and I've never experienced the miserable and aggressive attitude you mention. It's not somewhere I'd rush back to though!

If you hate it that much, then why not move elsewhere in the UK whilst you work towards Canada? I live in a lovely village in Berkshire now, not a hint of dense housing or miserable attitudes anywhere!

What do you do? You've mentioned three very different places in Canada and it may be that your skills are suited to one more than the other two.
I've lived in Chester and Helsby up north and Woolacombe and Croyde down south, so I'd consider moving elsewhere in the UK again but I also figure the money spent could go towards my trip.

I'm a data administrator but hoping to move into either HR admin or property admin for a few years here. None of those are what I'd love to do or anything but it's a living for now.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Souvy
Your search seems a little broad. It covers about 2,500 miles, in a straight line!

I agree with you about Brum. I've only ever had the pleasure of visiting it.

Dump.
It is broad, although I'm really only looking at those for visiting at the moment, and since as you said it's a huge distance, I'd be visiting only the east or west during one visit, not travelling across unfortunately.

I'm glad it's not just me with ill feeling towards Brum.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 2:26 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

It is broad, although I'm really only looking at those for visiting at the moment, and since as you said it's a huge distance, I'd be visiting only the east or west during one visit, not travelling across unfortunately.

I'm glad it's not just me with ill feeling towards Brum.
As long as you realise.

Canada is a huge place and the differences between cities is enormous (climate, geography, economy, culture.......).

I can understand Vancouver and Calgary being on your list, even though I loathe both places, but why Fredericton?
Old Nov 21st 2014, 3:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I've lived in Chester and Helsby up north and Woolacombe and Croyde down south, so I'd consider moving elsewhere in the UK again but I also figure the money spent could go towards my trip.
True, but if you're a data administrator then it could take you a few years to get to Canada, so better to be somewhere where you're happier whilst you wait maybe?

Without a skill or job that's in demand in Canada you might find your choices of location fairly limited, so by all means go and visit Vancouver or Calgary, but do be prepared to have to actually move to rural SK instead!

Best of luck.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Souvy
As long as you realise.

Canada is a huge place and the differences between cities is enormous (climate, geography, economy, culture.......).

I can understand Vancouver and Calgary being on your list, even though I loathe both places, but why Fredericton?
I learned that New Brunswick and particularly Fredericton is apparently quite a laid back and welcoming place, and that appeals to me. Lots of woodland too, I believe.

May I ask why you loathe Vancouver and Calgary?
Old Nov 21st 2014, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

True, but if you're a data administrator then it could take you a few years to get to Canada, so better to be somewhere where you're happier whilst you wait maybe?

Without a skill or job that's in demand in Canada you might find your choices of location fairly limited, so by all means go and visit Vancouver or Calgary, but do be prepared to have to actually move to rural SK instead!

Best of luck.
I saw data administrator is on the federal skilled worker list, although I'm not sure it's quite the same thing as I'm doing. Similarities perhaps? Either way, you're right, I'll be here for a few years yet so a nicer environment is definitely something to think about.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 3:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I saw data administrator is on the federal skilled worker list, although I'm not sure it's quite the same thing as I'm doing. Similarities perhaps?
You can check yourself to see if it's similar enough, but tbh that's no use to you now as 'the list' is about to become defunct with the changes being brought in on 1st Jan.

Unit Group

HTH.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

You can check yourself to see if it's similar enough, but tbh that's no use to you now as 'the list' is about to become defunct with the changes being brought in on 1st Jan.

Unit Group

HTH.
Thank you for the link. There are definite similarities but you're right, there's not much point in looking at the list now. Am I right in thinking it's January for Express Entry to come into being? All change.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 3:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you for the link. There are definite similarities but you're right, there's not much point in looking at the list now. Am I right in thinking it's January for Express Entry to come into being? All change.
Yes indeed. All change yet again! You never know, maybe an employer will be looking for somebody with just your experience. :fingers crossed:

Good luck with it.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 3:26 pm
Slob

I learned that New Brunswick and particularly Fredericton is apparently quite a laid back and welcoming place, and that appeals to me. Lots of woodland too, I believe.

May I ask why you loathe Vancouver and Calgary?
Mindset, mainly. You will find that eastern and western Canadians don't get along too well.

Be wary of the "laid back and welcoming" idea. It's often true with respect to how tourists are treated. Perhaps not so much when you go to live somewhere.

Most of Canada has, er, lots of woodland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.