Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

canada ...again..!!! (PEI)

canada ...again..!!! (PEI)

Old Sep 22nd 2017, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

sara riv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default canada ...again..!!! (PEI)

my husband went to Manitoba through the mpnp...but unfortunately had to come back to the uk for serious personal problems...now we have sorted those problems and now have a chance to live and work in PEI.my husband is a class 1 lorry driver ....any advice on what to expect in PEI...wages,housing,etc...many thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 6:09 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: canada ...again..!!! (PEI)

Originally Posted by sara riv
my husband went to Manitoba through the mpnp...but unfortunately had to come back to the uk for serious personal problems...now we have sorted those problems and now have a chance to live and work in PEI.my husband is a class 1 lorry driver ....any advice on what to expect in PEI...wages,housing,etc...many thanks
I had a friend from PEI and he said if you did something wrong on one side of the island, the people on the other side would know about it in a matter of hours. I'm not sure to what degree, (if any) he was exaggerating.
Welcome to the forum.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I had a friend from PEI and he said if you did something wrong on one side of the island, the people on the other side would know about it in a matter of hours. I'm not sure to what degree, (if any) he was exaggerating.
Welcome to the forum.
Small town Nova Scotia is like that. When we lived there at first it was off putting but after a while is was fine. As long as they're saying nice things of course...
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 4:19 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Where would he be driving the lorry?

PEI is lovely in summer and lots of people have summer residences there, utterly beautiful. PEI in winter is bloody desolate, it's very flat so the snow just blows around. Charlottetown has trucks that pick up the snow and take it out of town to dump it elsewhere.

It's quite expensive to get off PEI as you either have to pay the ferry or pay to go over Confederation Bridge.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by sara riv
class 1 lorry driver ....any advice on what to expect in PEI...wages,housing,etc...many thanks
Im a Class 1 Driver based next door in NB.

Will you be coming with PR or looking to go through PNP?

Does he still hold his MB Class 1 and Airbrake endorsement?

What sort of Class 1 work is he looking for? E.g. reefer, flatbed etc

Brief answers to your questions:

What to expect in PEI, beautiful in the summer, rammed with tourists. Barren snow driven wasteland in the Winter.
Wages - appalling. Conditions and benefits etc possibly worse.
Housing - cheap to buy expensive to run.