Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can we buy a place to live in while studying?

Can we buy a place to live in while studying?

Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we buy a place to live in while studying?

Originally Posted by Fliksokka
That's a very nasty thing to do.....I should think in those curcumstances the rental agency would be liable.....close relative works for a rental company so they can keep a close eye on everything!
This forum is so full of scaremongering I think I shall change my mind on an exciting 2 years of study in Vancouver to improve my life and stay in cold, grey, rainy (yup exactly that today) boring, dead-end Blighty forever more....NOT � ����
Not scaremongering, just making you aware of the potential pitfalls.. if we didn't and only told you positive stuff, you may even come back and say "Why didn't anyone tell me this!!!"

Ultimately it's your decision - this is an internet forum full of mixed points of view and opinions - you take what is useful to you and ignore what isn't, lol.

If I had my way I would sell up completely and move lock stock n barrel to Canada, but everyone (friends and family) say don't get off the housing ladder in the UK until we are certain (and have more permanent visa), so it's more to do with that than earning rent on 6 month rentals. And having a bolt hole if it all goes belly up.
This is pretty good advice until you know that you are going to be able to be here permanently; if after a few months or a year you find a way to gain PR then you can look into selling it. If you do decide to sell it, make sure you have a valuation suitable for Canadian taxes too!

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 26th 2016 at 9:41 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I rented my home on several occasions and each time ended in disaster. I had a decent letting agency, my homes were nice and in reasonable neighborhoods. I did the very best that I could to ensure that all went well, but it still didn't. It was stress by the bucketload, and it certainly didn't make me any money. The distance doesn't help; if your tenants know you are a long way away they take advantage, and your letting agency has to followed the proscribed steps for dealing with them, which generally ends up with the landlord in the soup financially.

I too wish you every success, and don't wish to sound negative....but, it's challenging enough moving to Canada and juggling the immigration process, without adding landlord/tenancy problems to your list of worries.
Renting your home (one dwelling) is a bit like investing in the stock market by putting half your life savings into one stock selected by sticking a pin in the equities page of the Financial Times.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 10:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very nasty thing to do.....I should think in those curcumstances the rental agency would be liable.....close relative works for a rental company so they can keep a close eye on everything!
Would depend on the agreement, but I seriously doubt there is any liability risk on a rental agency They check references and collect the rent, beyond that it is down to the landlord. I would not depend on how much of an eye a relative would keep on a property, I suspect their employer would not want a disproportionate amount of time spent. If you decide to rent, one has to accept the risks that go with it. I got out of the rental game long ago, more bad experiences than good ones.

This forum is so full of scaremongering I think I shall change my mind on an exciting 2 years of study in Vancouver to improve my life and stay in cold, grey, rainy (yup exactly that today) boring, dead-end Blighty forever more....NOT � ����
If you choose to ignore comments from those with experience, that's a personal choice. Some have had better experiences than others. You will have your own experiences, then you can decide if they were good or bad.

If you think Britain, grey, cold and rainy, wait until you get to the wet coast (there is a reason we call it the wet coast!). When we first arrived at the beginning of fall, it started raining and ended sometime the following April.

Canada is not a utopia, it is somewhere different, eventually it becomes the norm and not unlike where you came from.

Deciding to rent ones home in the UK as a safety net is a good idea on a temp permit, as is renting in Canada. Renting out in ones home country because of a temp status and buying in a country where you are temporary, seems a contradictory rationale.

Last edited by Aviator; Apr 26th 2016 at 10:24 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 10:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
...sticking a pin in the equities page of the Financial Times...
At least with 'spot the ball' contests you could tell where the ball was when it went PSSSSSSSSS!
Old Apr 27th 2016, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I shall change my mind on an exciting 2 years of study in Vancouver to improve my life and stay in cold, grey, rainy (yup exactly that today) boring, dead-end Blighty forever more....NOT 💁
The grass is not always greener, it's just fertilised with a different kind of bullshit

Why not study somewhere interesting instead of boring, cultureless Canada?
Old Apr 27th 2016, 1:24 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Renting your home (one dwelling) is a bit like investing in the stock market by putting half your life savings into one stock selected by sticking a pin in the equities page of the Financial Times.
I couldn't agree more. With age and experience I wouldn't have done it, but of course it's different when you have worked very hard to get your grips on a piece of bricks and mortar...and it was the anchor to guide me back to somewhere that I had no family...the FTSE 100 would have without doubt been a better star to steer by
Old Apr 27th 2016, 2:53 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
The grass is not always greener, it's just fertilised with a different kind of bullshit

Why not study somewhere interesting instead of boring, cultureless Canada?
I kind of think your opinion is possibly ever so slightly swayed by your lack of suitable employment- understandable perhaps but just I think needs mentioning.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

This forum is so full of scaremongering I think I shall change my mind on an exciting 2 years of study in Vancouver to improve my life and stay in cold, grey, rainy (yup exactly that today) boring, dead-end Blighty forever more....NOT 💁
No. It wouldn't.

I don't think any of us are scaremongering, I think we're being honest; with a slight bias towards worst case scenarios.

Your relative should be able to give you the "no frills" rundown:".
Old Apr 27th 2016, 6:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
No. It wouldn't.

I don't think any of us are scaremongering, I think we're being honest; with a slight bias towards worst case scenarios.

Your relative should be able to give you the "no frills" rundown:".
Believe me, what I described was nowhere near as bad as the end of that story. I was aiming at explaining just enough to raise the idea that renting a house out and living abroad isn't necessarily the prudent course.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Many of us have rented out our property in the UK when we've come to Canada. Not all of us have sold immediately. I've seen this countless times on this forum.

Although renting from a distance was a bit of a hassle, the time I was most anxious about the property was when it was empty for several months before it was sold.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Apr 27th 2016 at 6:27 pm. Reason: Remembered OP intends to come as student
Old Apr 27th 2016, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Believe me, what I described was nowhere near as bad as the end of that story. I was aiming at explaining just enough to raise the idea that renting a house out and living abroad isn't necessarily the prudent course.
I "got" that. Even with a top-notch letting agency, AND relatives moreorless in situ, it's not a piece of cake.

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Many of us have rented out our property in the UK when we've come to Canada. Not all of us have sold immediately. I've seen this countless times on this forum.

Although renting from a distance was a bit of a hassle, the time I was most anxious about the property was when it was empty for several months before it was sold.

If the OP wants to buy as a TFW, then so be it. It's not something I would have done (because of the insecurity over status) but I do know of others who have. It all depends where you are in your life, how much money you have and what your priorities are.

S
Or even as a student ...

:: Personally, knowing what I know now, I'd rent in Canada, until I knew whether I wanted to stay.

Last edited by Shirtback; Apr 27th 2016 at 7:30 pm. Reason: Fixing ambiguous sentence.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I deleted the last bit from my original message because I recalled the OP was intending to study. I do know TFWs who've bought though.

S
Old Apr 27th 2016, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Fliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm not being ungrateful for advise from people who have been there and done it but what else could I do with my property for two years other than leaving it empty?
It leaves it vulnerable for breaking into and squatters. Plus, empty houses still need paying for....
I won't have any sentimental ties to that house as we'll have only lived in it a couple of months.
Many of my friends and family live in rented accommodation and none of them have ever trashed these homes and I know plenty of people who rent their owned houses to tenants and I've only ever heard of one that went badly (they let someone really dodgy manage the rental and that person rented it out to people who turned it into a cannibis factory and completely wrecked it, ripped up all the floors)
Perhaps someone can give me an alternative?
Old Apr 27th 2016, 7:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not being ungrateful for advise from people who have been there and done it but what else could I do with my property for two years other than leaving it empty?
It leaves it vulnerable for breaking into and squatters. Plus, empty houses still need paying for....
I won't have any sentimental ties to that house as we'll have only lived in it a couple of months.
Many of my friends and family live in rented accommodation and none of them have ever trashed these homes and I know plenty of people who rent their owned houses to tenants and I've only ever heard of one that went badly (they let someone really dodgy manage the rental and that person rented it out to people who turned it into a cannibis factory and completely wrecked it, ripped up all the floors)
Perhaps someone can give me an alternative?
We left our empty...apart from a couple of visits per year. Coming up to 3 years we decided to sell for tax purposes. We didn't want the hassle of renters. I suppose it depends where the house is located and do you have anyone who could keep an eye on it for you?
Old Apr 27th 2016, 7:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

From the original post:

"Our plan is, as we are lucky enough to own our house in the UK, to sell that house and split the money to buy a small house in the UK to rent out while we are gone."

My suggestion would be not to buy the small house in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.