Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can we buy a place to live in while studying?

Can we buy a place to live in while studying?

Old Apr 25th 2016, 7:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we buy a place to live in while studying?

Originally Posted by Fliksokka
I have done my sums and based on the current market we would be better off buying than renting. Currently apartments in Vancouver are selling in days. I'm aware though that markets change and the £ is very volatile. Our real estate agent is extremely knowledgable and won't even let us look at places which are badly managed!
I hope you have a large cash buffer. Since the property in the UK will be rented out it's not eligible for a conventional mortgage, your status in Canada precludes simply getting a mortgage on the property here, so there's not much chance of using the equity in the properties. If you can't get a tenant for the UK property or, if you do and they trash the place, then there could be an extended period of no income. Not a worry if you have, say, a year's worth of cash to maintain both places but not everyone does.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 7:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PB65
Non residents can buy property in Canada but suggest a lot of reading on tax implications of buying, living in and eventually selling. Not sure immigration will be that concerned but the taxman at some point might be at some point both in UK and Canada on any rental income or capital gains. Any comments on not selling up in UK just reflects someones opinion based on fact a study visa is temporary and not an easy route to PR if at all. Plus of course need to demonstrate up front course funds plus first year living costs which could total near 30k cAD. Maybe share some of the areas where these relatively cheap properties are located, might open up a lot of negative feedback but on other hand discussion is what forums are mostly about, good and bad.
Originally Posted by Snowy560
A study permit for a suitable program of study can lead on to an eventual PR application. You have to take a medium term view. So it is not the study permit as such. It is more what may flow from that, in terms of Canadian qualifications; a possible PGWP (leading to work experience which may qualify the person for CEC EE together with their Canadian qualifications). As well, some PNP programs have international graduate streams. I would not disregard this option at all, depending on where you are in your life and what situation you are in. Many people make this kind of investment.

S

My daughter went to Uni in Toronto for 5 years...this entitled her to work for 3 years after graduation (Student Work Permit). It must be an accredited course/uni. During this time she applied for PR and is now about to apply for citizenship.

I have done my sums and based on the current market we would be better off buying than renting. Currently apartments in Vancouver are selling in days. I'm aware though that markets change and the £ is very volatile. Our real estate agent is extremely knowledgable and won't even let us look at places which are badly managed!
When she was a student we bought a condo for her to live in rather than paying rent. I can assure you that renting would have cost far less.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 25th 2016 at 7:40 pm. Reason: Add another quote/post
Old Apr 25th 2016, 7:57 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter went to Uni in Toronto for 5 years...

When she was a student we bought a condo for her to live in rather than paying rent. I can assure you that renting would have cost far less.
Your situation shouldn't necessarily be considered de facto though. I rent property and generate a monthly return that's 2x what it costs me to live in my own home, so renting doesn't make financial sense to me. I could just as easily assure that buying is cheaper.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 8:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Your situation shouldn't necessarily be considered de facto though. I rent property and generate a monthly return that's 2x what it costs me to live in my own home, so renting doesn't make financial sense to me. I could just as easily assure that buying is cheaper.
Neither should yours as from what the OP has written they will only be in Canada for 2 years.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Fliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I hope you have a large cash buffer. Since the property in the UK will be rented out it's not eligible for a conventional mortgage, your status in Canada precludes simply getting a mortgage on the property here, so there's not much chance of using the equity in the properties. If you can't get a tenant for the UK property or, if you do and they trash the place, then there could be an extended period of no income. Not a worry if you have, say, a year's worth of cash to maintain both places but not everyone does.
We'll be mortgage free, but it is fairly easy to get a buy to let mortgage in the uk as long it is only part of the value and the rent more than covers it.
Renting a house out isn't difficult if using a good agency and they make sure the tenant is good. A damage deposit and regular checks would be in place and we will have to factor in periods of non rental. Don't know if you're in the uk or not, but there is a housing shortage right now and we live in a nice city so finding tenants isn't an issue.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 4:32 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

We'll be mortgage free, but it is fairly easy to get a buy to let mortgage in the uk as long it is only part of the value and the rent more than covers it.
Renting a house out isn't difficult if using a good agency and they make sure the tenant is good. A damage deposit and regular checks would be in place and we will have to factor in periods of non rental. Don't know if you're in the uk or not, but there is a housing shortage right now and we live in a nice city so finding tenants isn't an issue.
Ontario, just north of Milton Keynes..
Old Apr 26th 2016, 12:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I am in Canada but didn't bring all of my relatives with me from London.
One of my children emigrated from Toronto to Tower Hamlets so I know something of the UK. In Canada I bought a house with someone who was here on a study permit, though the study permit was just a ruse to achieve immigration, so I know something of dealing with the banks in that circumstance.

Here I am in close contact with a relatively recent immigrant from the UK, one who rented out the house using a good agency, lost the tenant, then had the house unoccupied for a period during which people broke in to steal the plumbing, they left the water running causing significant damage. All of this was distressing and difficult to deal with from a remote location.

It'll all be fine for you, of course, there have never been any other cases where it didn't go well.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 12:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Ontario, just north of Milton Keynes..
It's just called Milton here, it's similar but with less roundabouts.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

when i decided to leave Winnipeg i did look at Vancouver and holy crap its expensive to get a place in reasonable area whether buying or renting.
If this is a temporary move have you considered a trailer, Not even sure if there are any trailer parks close to Vancouver, Not all are dumps and may work out cheaper ?
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

While I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer", if you haven't already experienced being a landlord (in the UK or elsewhere), this PoV is "a bit" optimistic.

As an absentee (co-)landlord (uk property), rent might just about end up paying expenses on the property. Or you could get lucky...
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:27 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I can see this ending well. Good luck to you.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:10 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
, this PoV is "a bit" optimistic.
I rented my home on several occasions and each time ended in disaster. I had a decent letting agency, my homes were nice and in reasonable neighborhoods. I did the very best that I could to ensure that all went well, but it still didn't. It was stress by the bucketload, and it certainly didn't make me any money. The distance doesn't help; if your tenants know you are a long way away they take advantage, and your letting agency has to followed the proscribed steps for dealing with them, which generally ends up with the landlord in the soup financially.

I too wish you every success, and don't wish to sound negative....but, it's challenging enough moving to Canada and juggling the immigration process, without adding landlord/tenancy problems to your list of worries.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Fliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond reputeFliksokka has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I am in Canada but didn't bring all of my relatives with me from London.
In Canada I bought a house with someone who was here on a study permit, though the study permit was just a ruse to achieve immigration, so I know something of dealing with the banks in that circumstance.

So was it ok with immigration that your housemate bought a house as a temporary resident?

Here I am in close contact with a relatively recent immigrant from the UK, one who rented out the house using a good agency, lost the tenant, then had the house unoccupied for a period during which people broke in to steal the plumbing, they left the water running causing significant damage. All of this was distressing and difficult to deal with from a remote location.

It'll all be fine for you, of course, there have never been any other cases where it didn't go well.
That's a very nasty thing to do.....I should think in those curcumstances the rental agency would be liable.....close relative works for a rental company so they can keep a close eye on everything!
This forum is so full of scaremongering I think I shall change my mind on an exciting 2 years of study in Vancouver to improve my life and stay in cold, grey, rainy (yup exactly that today) boring, dead-end Blighty forever more....NOT 💁
Old Apr 26th 2016, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
when i decided to leave Winnipeg i did look at Vancouver and holy crap its expensive to get a place in reasonable area whether buying or renting.
If this is a temporary move have you considered a trailer, Not even sure if there are any trailer parks close to Vancouver, Not all are dumps and may work out cheaper ?
Ha, that's a good idea, we have a trailer (caravan) in the UK so maybe we'll just ship it on over!
Old Apr 26th 2016, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MillieF
I rented my home on several occasions and each time ended in disaster. I had a decent letting agency, my homes were nice and in reasonable neighborhoods. I did the very best that I could to ensure that all went well, but it still didn't. It was stress by the bucketload, and it certainly didn't make me any money. The distance doesn't help; if your tenants know you are a long way away they take advantage, and your letting agency has to followed the proscribed steps for dealing with them, which generally ends up with the landlord in the soup financially.

I too wish you every success, and don't wish to sound negative....but, it's challenging enough moving to Canada and juggling the immigration process, without adding landlord/tenancy problems to your list of worries.
If I had my way I would sell up completely and move lock stock n barrel to Canada, but everyone (friends and family) say don't get off the housing ladder in the UK until we are certain (and have more permanent visa), so it's more to do with that than earning rent on 6 month rentals. And having a bolt hole if it all goes belly up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.