Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can Calgary live up to our Canada Dream?

Can Calgary live up to our Canada Dream?

Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Calgary live up to our Canada Dream?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I believe he may be Canadian..
Not according to his previous posts - he was applying under EE, I've just checked. (Thought I was going mad and getting him mixed up with somebody else!).

But Siouxie has a point OP, if your Mum was Canadian, then are you sure you're not too? That would make it all an awful lot easier................
Old Jan 10th 2017, 5:45 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jase84
Thanks for you response, that sounds a little more positive! $80k is the lowest I have seem my type of job so been using that as a worst case, will have to just look for the better paid jobs then to try and make the dream a reality!
I work in IT. If you provide some more info about your area of expertise, and experience, I might be able to shed some light on salaries.

I'm actually hiring right now, but obviously we need someone now, not 2018
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Jase84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Photoplex
I work in IT. If you provide some more info about your area of expertise, and experience, I might be able to shed some light on salaries.

Thanks, I will private message you.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not according to his previous posts - he was applying under EE, I've just checked. (Thought I was going mad and getting him mixed up with somebody else!).

But Siouxie has a point OP, if your Mum was Canadian, then are you sure you're not too? That would make it all an awful lot easier................
No I am not Canadian, unfortunately, my mum is currently looking to renewing her Canadian passport as she has just been using her UK one for years.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Iirc, you need a job offer to get a visa, is that right? If so, then you'll need a decent paying job anyway, as it must be at the average or higher end of the scale for your job for the LMIA to be granted, anything lower and it will be refused.

What's your job/NOC code?
My NOC is 2172
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an engineer but I can use a computer. Have I got the job?
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:29 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I'm an engineer but I can use a computer. Have I got the job?
Unfortunately we filled our quota of Forum Conversation Engineers for 2017!
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Jase84 you should definitely go out to Calgary and get a feel for the place yourself. I've travelled to a lot of places, many have been beautiful and had a lot going for them, but they haven't 'felt' right.

I did a bit of a drive around Alberta and because there are more jobs in Edmonton I checked there out too. For me Edmonton didn't really feel right either. We spent time in Calgary and really liked the place.

I think for such a big move you should really go over yourself and check things out, it is different in many ways.

With respect to out door lifestyles, Christmas does have a point. I'm into the outdoors and I live in a very urban environment. At the weekend I walked two mountains in thick fog and driving rain. I was dressed for it and enjoyed everything minute. Up one mountain I was talking to two people who had a very small baby strapped to them. Sun would have been nicer but if you want to get outdoors you will. In Canada that drive to X place is going to be much further than in the UK so keep that in mind.

I'm conscious this thread is more towards the negative and so I will say, regardless of what everyone has said, myself and my girlfriend are still going to try it and I've noticed a few threads recently of people who have landed recently in Calgary. You only get one life, good luck
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unfortunately we filled our quota of Forum Conversation Engineers for 2017!
Thank you for the consideration anyway, I trust my details will be filed under B... for bin
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Jase84 you should definitely go out to Calgary and get a feel for the place yourself. I've travelled to a lot of places, many have been beautiful and had a lot going for them, but they haven't 'felt' right.

I did a bit of a drive around Alberta and because there are more jobs in Edmonton I checked there out too. For me Edmonton didn't really feel right either. We spent time in Calgary and really liked the place.

I think for such a big move you should really go over yourself and check things out, it is different in many ways.

With respect to out door lifestyles, Christmas does have a point. I'm into the outdoors and I live in a very urban environment. At the weekend I walked two mountains in thick fog and driving rain. I was dressed for it and enjoyed everything minute. Up one mountain I was talking to two people who had a very small baby strapped to them. Sun would have been nicer but if you want to get outdoors you will. In Canada that drive to X place is going to be much further than in the UK so keep that in mind.

I'm conscious this thread is more towards the negative and so I will say, regardless of what everyone has said, myself and my girlfriend are still going to try it and I've noticed a few threads recently of people who have landed recently in Calgary. You only get one life, good luck
Thanks, yeah you only live once! We don't want to regret anything and this is something we have talked about doing for years!
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:56 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

My (Quebecois) stepson works for an Edmonton company. He goes there quite a lot, for weeks at a time (when he's not flitting around the Carolinas). He finds the place unbelievably dull. Reasonable proximity to Lake Louise (snowboarding at my expense) seems to be about the only positive for him.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Souvy
My (Quebecois) stepson works for an Edmonton company. He goes there quite a lot, for weeks at a time (when he's not flitting around the Carolinas). He finds the place unbelievably dull. Reasonable proximity to Lake Louise (snowboarding at my expense) seems to be about the only positive for him.
That drive to lake Louise is 90% straight roads and farmland too, we did it and to be fair it was an easy drive but I just felt that I'd rather be closer to begin with.

I found Edmonton dull too and I went in with an open mind and I tried to like it. People kept telling me about the mall as if it was the highlight. Malls for me are never the highlight. The city was clean, peaceful and everyone was polite but it just felt all business and no fun.

P.S. Will you subsidise my snow boarding?
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:09 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

That drive to lake Louise is 90% straight roads and farmland too, we did it and to be fair it was an easy drive but I just felt that I'd rather be closer to begin with.

I found Edmonton dull too and I went in with an open mind and I tried to like it. People kept telling me about the mall as if it was the highlight. Malls for me are never the highlight. The city was clean, peaceful and everyone was polite but it just felt all business and no fun.

It's just a highlight because it's big, I imagine (I've never been to Edmonton).

A shopping mall is just shops. Shops that you will find elsewhere, only more of them.

PS: do one. You're not the one I expect to look after me in my dotage.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:14 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a season pass in September/October time when they are on sale
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:20 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Buy a season pass in September/October time when they are on sale
Early bird passes for most resorts go on sale somewhat earlier than that, in June, then rise in price every couple of months until the season opens. Early birds are normally c50% of full price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.