Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can Calgary live up to our Canada Dream?

Can Calgary live up to our Canada Dream?

Old Jan 10th 2017, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Jase84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can Calgary live up to our Canada Dream?

My Wife and I are looking to move to Calgary for a better, more outdoor life for our young family in 2018. I work in IT and doing a bit of research should be able to earn around $80k.

In our heads our life in Calgary will be dry winters with snow instead of rain and skiing/snowboarding instead of being stuck in the house. Then nice summers of mountain biking, high walks, etc… We also hope to have a bigger house than we would afford in the UK and lot more time together as a family.

Is this dream a possibility or just a pipe dream? It looks amazing and most things are positive towards life in Canada over the UK, but things like only getting 2 weeks holiday a year (and not getting any vacation in the first year) worry me. Will I actually just be spending all my time in work?

Has anyone else made this move with a family and is it worth the effort in the end?
Did you find school good compared to the UK?
Is a $80K salary enough to raise a family in the Calgary area?

Many Thanks

Jase
Old Jan 10th 2017, 1:06 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Calgary live up to our Canada Dream?

Originally Posted by Jase84
Not if in your dream is to ski/snowboard in the winter. Take a look at the price of lift passes at Lake Louise ski resort.

For a decent lifestyle with a family you'll both need to be working.

What ever rubbish people spin at you. Canada is an expensive place to live.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

My Wife and I are looking to move to Calgary for a better, more outdoor life for our young family in 2018. I work in IT and doing a bit of research should be able to earn around $80k.

In our heads our life in Calgary will be dry winters with snow instead of rain and skiing/snowboarding instead of being stuck in the house. Then nice summers of mountain biking, high walks, etc… We also hope to have a bigger house than we would afford in the UK and lot more time together as a family.

Is this dream a possibility or just a pipe dream? It looks amazing and most things are positive towards life in Canada over the UK, but things like only getting 2 weeks holiday a year (and not getting any vacation in the first year) worry me. Will I actually just be spending all my time in work?

Has anyone else made this move with a family and is it worth the effort in the end?
Did you find school good compared to the UK?

Many Thanks

Jase

I can't comment on Calgary but like anywhere it will depend what you expect and make out of it personally. Unless you are really into snowboarding full time, I certainly wouldn't move to have a better outdoor lifestyle.

Anbody complaining about the UK weather will do the same in Canada after a while, unless they change completely. Housing is also expensive in the cities and does not guarantee a bigger place with that salary.
Just looking out the window and it's not winter or raining at all.
2 weeks ago people were complaing about the cold weather we had here and it was clear blue skies but +temps.

I would try a different location in the UK first.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 1:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Not if in your dream is to ski/snowboard in the winter. Take a look at the price of lift passes at Lake Louise ski resort.

Even without the exotic hobbies I don't know that $80,000 is a living wage for a family of four.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Have you visited/done a recce already? In the depths of winter?

A "step"/indirect family connection moved to Calgary from Qc a couple of years back. On a salary ~twice what you mention (in the IT field). He & wife admit (privately), that it's not all it's cracked up to be/what they thought it would be. They had similar dreams/aspirations about outdoor, ski/sporty lifestyle.

Last edited by Shirtback; Jan 10th 2017 at 2:04 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

The replies above are good info and down to earth.
I agree that you will need two incomes, especially with a young family- the extra curricular activities for the children I have heard from friends and colleagues can be quite expensive.

The life is what you make it.
Have you been to Calgary?

If you can, try and do a recce trip. Link in with a realtor and look at areas for housing, schools etc. We did this and got a good idea of the city (We lived in Red Deer, for a short while). Mix that with maybe meeting with some expats, we are usually a friendly lot
If you can't make a recce, then contact a realtor on line. We did this initially and the realtor was a great source of info and has become a good friend.

Good luck and I hope you achieve your dream
Mad Jockette
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:04 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Even without the exotic hobbies I don't know that $80,000 is a living wage for a family of four.
It's circa my wage before sales commission and I don't save a penny on that living alone. I do enjoy golf and snowboarding 2 to 3 times per month (not in the same season obviously) but could never pay for extra people as both are pretty much $100 a day per person once all costs are factored in.

I know rent in Calgary is marginally cheaper than Toronto and the OP may not flutter as much away as I in the local pub but that was my gist with out wanting to dampen "the dream" too much.

Last edited by JamesM; Jan 10th 2017 at 2:15 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:12 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Quite. My son is currently working in Edmonton. I subbed him and a mate to go snowboarding in Lake Louise at the weekend. My sub of $400 was slightly generous but not by much.

And it's a 4.5 hour drive from Edmonton to Lake Louise. Each way.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:17 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette
I agree that you will need two incomes, especially with a young family- the extra curricular activities for the children I have heard from friends and colleagues can be quite expensive.
I can't imagine it's cheap if your child wants to play Iced Hockey either.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the response, a lot are what I fear'ed! :-(

We haven't been to Calgary or Canada before, but my wife and eldest daughter are looking to go in July for a recce, as are eldest is the one that need the most persuading!

My mum is also from BC and we still have family there so I do not quite a bit about the country just never been.

We did pick Calgary as our focus because of the dryer winters and cheaper houses, but now I am not so sure on cheaper houses from the comments above. I know I could earn more in Vancouver or Toronto but looking online house prices are crazy in them areas!!!

Thanks again
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:22 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Souvy
Quite. My son is currently working in Edmonton. I subbed him and a mate to go snowboarding in Lake Louise at the weekend. My sub of $400 was slightly generous but not by much.

They probably already had equipment as well.

Board, Bindings, Boots, Helmet, Goggles and clothing are a pretty penny and children will fast outgrow them.

I couldn't afford to snowboard till my late 20's.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:24 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Thanks for all the response, a lot are what I fear'ed! :-(

We haven't been to Calgary or Canada before, but my wife and eldest daughter are looking to go in July for a recce, as are eldest is the one that need the most persuading!

My mum is also from BC and we still have family there so I do not quite a bit about the country just never been.

We did pick Calgary as our focus because of the dryer winters and cheaper houses, but now I am not so sure on cheaper houses from the comments above. I know I could earn more in Vancouver or Toronto but looking online house prices are crazy in them areas!!!

Thanks again
I don't want to be a negative prick!

Calgary is a nice place in my opinion with friendly people and the experience of boarding those mountains is a great one.

However I think with the lifestyle aspiration that you've articulated you will need a second income to support it.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:25 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Board, Bindings, Boots, Helmet, Goggles and clothing are a pretty penny and children will fast outgrow them.
They are but I know in Vancouver there are a few stores that sell second hand equipment at a much cheaper cost then buying new.

I saw a few stores in Banff that did this as well
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy

For that money you could also fly from the UK to a ski resort in Europe (hotel and transfer included). Many people think the snow is far away from the UK and in reality just around the corner.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

I don't want to be a negative prick!

Calgary is a nice place in my opinion with friendly people and the experience of boarding those mountains is a great one.

However I think with the lifestyle aspiration that you've articulated you will need a second income to support it.
Thanks, my wife does plan to work in the future, but at first she will be making sure the kids are settling in OK and happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.