Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Sep 18th 2016, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by CherC
Stinky pup, you are absolutely right, and there is no way one can prepare themselves for it.

On another note, I was wondering if any one can advise on GP resources that would be handy in practice. Is there anything equivalent of GP Notebook, NICE Guidelines, BNF, and Antibiotic Prescribing guidelines in Ontario province.
I am also keen to continue doing IUCD and subdermal implant fittings, how can I be certified for that in Ontario? In UK I just need diploma in sexual and reproductive health and letter of competence in IUCDs and implants, how does it work in Ontario?
Sorry too many questions but any advise will be appreciated.
hi CherC

No certification for IUD required in Ontario.

Regarding resources, when you join CMA (Canadian Med Asso)/OMA (Ontario Medical association) they have guidelines which you can access.

upToDate is definitely a good resource but expensive as snoop mention it.

Books advised to me by other GP:

- Anti-infective guidelines for community acquired infections.
- Tarascan Pocket Pharmacopoeia.(mostly USA based drugs).

Also You can use RxTx mobile for apple iPhone (there is a book version too).

-
Old Sep 18th 2016, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Brainwave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

A really silly question: would the risk of Cascadian subduction zone earthquake put anyone off from moving to Greater Vancouver Area?
I am a victim of too much research and this topic keeps coming up on internet searches!!
Getting a bit nervous about it, any views?
Old Sep 18th 2016, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brainwave
A really silly question: would the risk of Cascadian subduction zone earthquake put anyone off from moving to Greater Vancouver Area?
I am a victim of too much research and this topic keeps coming up on internet searches!!
Well I'm always grateful to get off the ground at YVR and I'm a nervous flyer!!
You should post this question to a wider audience and see what they say.
We know it will happen but it could be anytime. I guess you put it to the back of your mind.
Our son lives in Victoria, he is very blasé about it. We won an earthquake emergency kit- no use to me in the Okanagan so I wanted him to have it- he couldn't see the point. I snuck it into his car last year! I get it that he could be anywhere and no where near the kit- but it makes me feel a little better.
I think I would still live in the greater Vancouver area, I would definitely live on most of VI or one of the gulf islands but maybe not Richmond- which may just disappear and not in a high rise.
I'd also pass on Tofino but would visit it- my surfing skills are very poor!!
Old Sep 18th 2016, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in Vancouver since 1968 ..................

Yes, it is on the Ring of Fire that runs around the Pacific Ocean. That means earthquakes AND volcanoes.

Yes, we are always being told that THE big one is past due, based on geological evidence.

Yes, we do get lots of little earthquakes that can be measured on equipment but are not felt by humans or animals. The only sign we have is that there are 3 paintings on 2 walls that are always crooked.

Yes, there are earthquake practices in the schools, and sometimes for the public at large ............. or at least the public is supposed to do what is suggested at a certain time on a certain date as announced by the authorities. I'd guess about 20% of them do try it!! Kiddies in school do of course have to duck under the table as ordered.

Yes, we do what to do, and have an arrangement as to what to do if we are not together if it happens.

Do we worry??

Not all that much!

Yes, we are good .............. we have an earthquake kit with water, canned food, torch and batteries, matches, ax, etc, sufficient to support the 2 of us for at least 3 days ............ but I do keep forgetting to put prescription medications in there, and also forget to change the supplies every year

so we are only halfway ......... good but not excellent!

But I certainly don't lie awake at night worrying about it.

If you are worried, don't come

If you do come, don't worry about it, or you'll drive yourself and everyone else insane!

But don't forget ............ the UK and Europe also get earthquakes, and always have done, although they are getting worse now that your authorities have allowed fracking to occur!
Old Sep 18th 2016, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Well I'm always grateful to get off the ground at YVR and I'm a nervous flyer!!
You should post this question to a wider audience and see what they say.
We know it will happen but it could be anytime. I guess you put it to the back of your mind.
Our son lives in Victoria, he is very blasé about it. We won an earthquake emergency kit- no use to me in the Okanagan so I wanted him to have it- he couldn't see the point. I snuck it into his car last year! I get it that he could be anywhere and no where near the kit- but it makes me feel a little better.
I think I would still live in the greater Vancouver area, I would definitely live on most of VI or one of the gulf islands but maybe not Richmond- which may just disappear and not in a high rise.
I'd also pass on Tofino but would visit it- my surfing skills are very poor!!

When we first came here, tall buildings and basements were not allowed in Richmond because of the liquefaction factor that is the danger in any delta.

However, the new buildings and especially high rises built in the last 20-25 years in Richmond have had to have concrete supports built after compaction of the sub soil down to the underlying rock strata.

It was quite amazing to drive past a new high rise in the early stages of building and hear and feel the rhythmic thump thump of the ramming of the soil and subsoil.

Our reason for not buying in Richmond in 1972 was not because of the possible liquefaction but because the bus service was so poor. I have never driven, but I did want my independence and to be able to go places without always having to ask OH.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 12:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brainwave
I personally don't worry. But I also don't want to experience a big one with massive damage, but I also accept it may happen in my lifetime, but no reason to dwell, live life.

Largest I have experienced was in 2010 when living in San Diego, a 7.2 hit about 110 miles from San Diego in Mexico, and that one was an eye opener and got me to finally to set up an earthquake kit, although its only about 3 days of supplies which is generally considered the very minimum to have.

This link records each quake in BC over 1,5 in magnitude, to date in 2016 485 in BC, although all small, largest was only 5.7.

Today's Earthquakes in British Columbia, Canada

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 19th 2016 at 12:25 am.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I personally don't worry. But I also don't want to experience a big one with massive damage, but I also accept it may happen in my lifetime, but no reason to dwell, live life.

Largest I have experienced was in 2010 when living in San Diego, a 7.2 hit about 110 miles from San Diego in Mexico, and that one was an eye opener and got me to finally to set up an earthquake kit, although its only about 3 days of supplies which is generally considered the very minimum to have.

This link records each quake in BC over 1,5 in magnitude, to date in 2016 485 in BC, although all small, largest was only 5.7.

Today's Earthquakes in British Columbia, Canada

............ and it is important to point out that no-one felt most of those quakes, and no damage was done ............. even the 4.4 one 2days ago was out at sea and not felt by humans even in Haida Gwai. That largest one, 5.7, was back in January in the Pacific off Vancouver Island.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 2:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
............ and it is important to point out that no-one felt most of those quakes, and no damage was done ............. even the 4.4 one 2days ago was out at sea and not felt by humans even in Haida Gwai. That largest one, 5.7, was back in January in the Pacific off Vancouver Island.
Yes indeed. I posted it as many don't realize just how many earthquakes there are each week, and how most are never felt by anyone.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

But don't forget ............ the UK and Europe also get earthquakes, and always have done, although they are getting worse now that your authorities have allowed fracking to occur!
Somewhat different scale I think! Utter devastation v upturned chairs!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-social-media

And I still wouldn't live in Richmond!
Old Sep 19th 2016, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Somewhat different scale I think! Utter devastation v upturned chairs!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-social-media

And I still wouldn't live in Richmond!

I know ............ but did you appreciate that there were earthquakes in England when you were living there?

I certainly didn't!

Earthquakes happened elsewhere!
Old Sep 20th 2016, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

I know ............ but did you appreciate that there were earthquakes in England when you were living there?

I certainly didn't!

Earthquakes happened elsewhere!
Definitely

Had two that were felt whilst living there. One when a student in Manchester, another when living in Norfolk.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

we obviously left the UK before earthquakes began to happen there

Seriously, I never felt any, lived mainly in Lancashire or Cheshire until 1967.

Nor do I remember hearing about any.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 4:37 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I can assure you that there were..

Did you not feel the 1683 one?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._British_Isles

Maybe a thread drift even too great for me ... Maybe switch this to a separate thread as it distracts from the original topic

Last edited by Stinkypup; Sep 20th 2016 at 4:58 am.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

well, we were only answering Brainwave's question

and I'm not quite THAT old
Old Sep 26th 2016, 9:14 am
Just Joined

pmpm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I am planning to apply for express entry for PR as I would like to go for that route rather than LMIA. I have got my ECA and just did IELTS recently (results awaited). I was advised here that whilst waiting for 'invitation to apply' I should get letters from my past employers (and so should my wife). What should this letter state? Has anyone got any sample copy which they are happy to share?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.