Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary - what's it like to live there?

Calgary - what's it like to live there?

Old Dec 3rd 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary - what's it like to live there?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So where are all these great shopping venues, great restaurants and great architecture? I admit they may exist in small quantities, but they are not on each street corner.

I enjoy living in Calgary but such things are not for me and there is no way that Calgary can compete with "great" cities across the globe on such criteria.
I could name practically every mall in Calgary as at least a "good" shopping venue, some "excellent", "world class", but you'll no doubt tell me that shopping in malls is not sophisticated enough.

As far as architecture, i guess i appreciate the many new buildings that Calgary has to offer. They may not be old but they have their merits. Yes - the endless cookie cutter developments that sprawl out are a bit crap.

Restaurants - the same goes for that.. There are tons of restaurants, most i couldn`t name off the top of my head, yes some of them are chains, but nonetheless good eateries with great service. No doubt, not sophisitcated enough for some tastes.

Calgary is a city of 1 million people. I think it bats way above its league compared to a lot of other cities of 1 million.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 8:40 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by neill
I could name practically every mall in Calgary as at least a "good" shopping venue, some "excellent", "world class", but you'll no doubt tell me that shopping in malls is not sophisticated enough.

As far as architecture, i guess i appreciate the many new buildings that Calgary has to offer. They may not be old but they have their merits. Yes - the endless cookie cutter developments that sprawl out are a bit crap.

Restaurants - the same goes for that.. There are tons of restaurants, most i couldn`t name off the top of my head, yes some of them are chains, but nonetheless good eateries with great service. No doubt, not sophisitcated enough for some tastes.

Calgary is a city of 1 million people. I think it bats way above its league compared to a lot of other cities of 1 million.
I agree. We had no issues finding veggie food (we thought we would really struggle) and in fact ended up eating out at one of the best (if not the best ever) veggie & vegan restaurants we've had the privilege to visit, and that includes London and Sydney! Bonus
Old Dec 6th 2010, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
I agree. We had no issues finding veggie food (we thought we would really struggle) and in fact ended up eating out at one of the best (if not the best ever) veggie & vegan restaurants we've had the privilege to visit, and that includes London and Sydney! Bonus
Same here - no problems at all finding decent resturants. The only thing I struggle with is finding places that can do dairy free food (I am allergic to dairy), but I suspect that that would be a problem no matter where we lived.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 7:56 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chookie
Same here - no problems at all finding decent resturants. The only thing I struggle with is finding places that can do dairy free food (I am allergic to dairy), but I suspect that that would be a problem no matter where we lived.
my fave place (the one in Calgary) is vegan