Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary - what's it like to live there?

Calgary - what's it like to live there?

Old Oct 21st 2010, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Calgary Realtor is just really niceCalgary Realtor is just really niceCalgary Realtor is just really niceCalgary Realtor is just really niceCalgary Realtor is just really niceCalgary Realtor is just really niceCalgary Realtor is just really niceCalgary Realtor is just really nice
Default Re: Calgary - what's it like to live there?

Originally Posted by The Esses
Hey all

I've been in Vancouver for a few months now and like it.
Still not decided as to whether I like Canada enough to leave the UK completely, mind you.

But, I'm still doing my research.

So, there is a potential job opportunity in Calgary.......can anyone give me some idea of what it's like there?

Mr S
What type of work are you in? I love Calgary and have helped many people relocate to this wonderful city, so if you have questions, please feel free to ask me.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 1:36 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Why put the BBQ away? Surely I am not the only one that has skied in the morning and attended a BBQ in the afternoon. We BBQ year round
that's what I like to hear
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 1:53 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
I'm curious about the kit you used. Are these full "Darth Vader" style with nose/mouthpieces or gogles with balaclava type head coverings with holes for breathing? I find the balaclavas ice up fast with the moist breath and wearing glasses is impossible.
Best ones Ive seen, and swear by are the seirus "combo TNT" ones with the moulded neoprene bit round your mouth, fleece for your neck and thin top to fit under your helmet no problems. They fit pretty well around your eyes, so your goggles dont steam up from the inside

My better half got something similar from Marks, but its doesnt let you breath nearly as well, and is pretty saggy around the eyes. I much prefer the Seirus one.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 22nd 2010 at 1:57 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 2:13 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Best ones Ive seen, and swear by are the seirus "combo TNT" ones with the moulded neoprene bit round your mouth, fleece for your neck and thin top to fit under your helmet no problems. They fit pretty well around your eyes, so your goggles dont steam up from the inside

My better half got something similar from Marks, but its doesnt let you breath nearly as well, and is pretty saggy around the eyes. I much prefer the Seirus one.
Iain, surely you don't need a face mask to ski those wee bumps in balmy Ontario...?
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 2:19 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Iain, surely you don't need a face mask to ski those wee bumps in balmy Ontario...?
When its -20 and the wind is blowing, and you are on the lift or standing at the foot of the bump in the shade waiting for the kids to re-appear out of the woods it seemed a good idea. It has the added benefit of muffling the rude words that are warding off the cold, so as not to offend near by women and children

-27 on the lift sounds grim.

At least the bump here is never crowded and we hardly ever have to wait to get on the lift anyway

Last edited by iaink; Oct 22nd 2010 at 2:23 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Same here

From a distance, they look like the things some cyclist couriers use. After seeing an instructor with one at COP when it was so cold I have a private lesson (as no one else showed up, in fact I had the choice of 4 instructors!). I bought one. Now I have about 4 with all different designs. I use one like this: http://www.bulabula.com/products/#/?...8&modelId=5465

Most hills have them.
These face masks look good. Will look out for them. I suppose places like the mountain coop place will have them.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

These face masks look good. Will look out for them. I suppose places like the mountain coop place will have them.
They are excellent. I bought some at COP, and some online. I have a number of them striped and snazzy - all the gear and no idea - that`s me!
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

The best place for kids masks is that kids outdoor shop on memorial
Old Oct 23rd 2010, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDV
I'd say it depends very much on what you're looking for. If you want shopping, night life, good restaurants, nice architecture, I'd say Calgary's probably not for you. (It's a fairly uninspiring N. American city).
Sorry, but what a load of rubbish.

Originally Posted by MrsDV
If, however, you're looking to easy access to a good out doors lifestyle - skiing, hiking, camping, nice city parks then Calgary has a lot to offer.

I live in Calgary, find the city on the whole pretty dull but enjoy the life it allows me to lead.
Been in Calgary 3 months and I have done more partying downtown here than i did in Montreal in 3 years.

Still, you are very much entitled to your opinion.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Sorry, but what a load of rubbish.

So where are all these great shopping venues, great restaurants and great architecture? I admit they may exist in small quantities, but they are not on each street corner.

I enjoy living in Calgary but such things are not for me and there is no way that Calgary can compete with "great" cities across the globe on such criteria.

Originally Posted by neill
Been in Calgary 3 months and I have done more partying downtown here than i did in Montreal in 3 years.

Still, you are very much entitled to your opinion.
No one said it is impossible to party, after all, most Brits under the age of 30 do so each Friday and Saturday night in their local towns. I doubt very much that access to great nightlife was high on the list of reasons to move to Calgary for those that did.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

The Esses will become famous soon enoughThe Esses will become famous soon enough

Cheers for all the replies.

Sorry I've been away for ages....bloody internet companies!

I guess I should really venture up there and check the place out.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 6:14 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

On average Calgary has approx 15 days a year where the minimum temperature is under -20C. These are the minimum overnight temperatures. I would expect only a handful of days each year reach -20C in the day. I think you're making far too much of this.
How long have you been here? Not long by the sounds of it. Factor in wind chill and 0% humidity.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

andrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the rough

Hi guys my name is calum and myself and my family of my wife and four children will be making the migration to canada in febuary,with calgary being the destination as my wife has secured a position with a healthcare firm. My wife will be working around the foothills area and we would love a place close to her work.So could you advise us of some nice areas for us and our 4 kids around the south east or east side of sw. School has to be a big part in any outcome. Thanks guys. Calum ,dundee, scotland.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
How long have you been here? Not long by the sounds of it. Factor in wind chill and 0% humidity.
Long enough to know what -33C (-41C with windchill is like).

I double checked the stats I put in a previous posting and to make a correction its approx 24 days reaching -20C and 4 days reaching -30C on average each year. I'm pretty circumspect about Calgary and the weather but there's no reason to be quite as critical as some have been. It doesn't stay at -30C for weeks or months on end which is what some to be suggesting. The coldest months coincide with very little precipitation so that snowfall in Jan/Feb/Mar combined was lower than the snowfall in each of Apr and May. I don't mind the cold when it gets really cold because it doesn't stay like that for that long usually. The valid criticism of the climate in Calgary is the length that the winter can drag on and the unpredictability of the spring and early summer.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

It can't be that cold in Calgary - just watch the kids on their way to school. The girls in tiny little shoes. Not one will wear a hat or gloves. Few wear big jackets.

Either that or the kids are really tough and/or victims of fashion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.