Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary - what's it like to live there?

Calgary - what's it like to live there?

Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary - what's it like to live there?

Originally Posted by Steve_
I said the main thing to do, and by that I meant something that could be classed as recreation that gets you out of the house.

Pray tell, what is it then if not shopping?

I realize you can probably say that about a lot of places, but I meant far moreso in Calgary (and Alberta) than is generally the case.

I rarely see pedestrians outside during the winter, unless they're dragging their extremely unhappy dogs around wrapped up in booties, so I know you're not all out jogging.

Do you all go downtown and play hide-and-seek on the +15? (Because I do go downtown on the weekend and it's pretty deserted, although they do seem to have nearly finished messing around with the Eaton Centre, so perhaps that will draw in oh, the shoppers...)

And I do realize that it's subjective, but people do seem to be fatter here than in BC, generally speaking. Which indicates to me they stay indoors more.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't any public swimming pools east of the Deerfoot for example.
I like Calgary and I hate shopping. In winter we:
skate
snowshoe
sometimes hike
ski a lot
do soccer (everyone except me)
Old Oct 16th 2010, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
I like Calgary and I hate shopping. In winter we:
skate
snowshoe
sometimes hike
ski a lot
Ditto

I can only assume that Steve doesn't venture into his community. The one I live in and those that surround it all have outdoor rinks that are busy all winter - first thing in the morning till late at night.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:33 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The original statement was during the winter. Even winter sports are hard to do when it's in the -20s (or lower). We've got a skating rink, I don't see too many people venturing out onto it in January. Have you got one of those indoor soccer tents near you?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

The original statement was during the winter. Even winter sports are hard to do when it's in the -20s (or lower). We've got a skating rink, I don't see too many people venturing out onto it in January. Have you got one of those indoor soccer tents near you?
I find we lose far less days to cold than we did to rain in UK.

We do live near a soccer dome and we are there 3 times a week in winter. Once for each kid and once for OH. We ski every weekend and in 3 years we have missed about one day to cold. My kids are still alive. We just have all the right gear. Its also sometimes warmer in the mountains than in Calgary
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

On average Calgary has approx 15 days a year where the minimum temperature is under -20C. These are the minimum overnight temperatures. I would expect only a handful of days each year reach -20C in the day. I think you're making far too much of this.

It's a bit like suggesting nobody goes outside during the winter in Vancouver because it's always raining.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:59 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
It's a bit like suggesting nobody goes outside during the winter in Vancouver because it's always raining.
Or nobody goes outside in Britain because of feral youths.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I find we lose far less days to cold than we did to rain in UK.

We do live near a soccer dome and we are there 3 times a week in winter. Once for each kid and once for OH. We ski every weekend and in 3 years we have missed about one day to cold. My kids are still alive. We just have all the right gear. Its also sometimes warmer in the mountains than in Calgary
We stayed at the Delta Lodge in Kananaskis once. When we got in the car the temp gauge said -20 "Don't worry" I said, "It will be warmer up there as cold air sinks" On the road up to the parking lot everyone watched anxiously as the number on the gauge changed. When we got to the parking lot it was -27! It was a bracing day. We needed to head to the lodge pretty much after each run, but we had a great day because the hill was virtually empty

It was a bloody good job we all had face masks
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We stayed at the Delta Lodge in Kananaskis once. When we got in the car the temp gauge said -20 "Don't worry" I said, "It will be warmer up there as cold air sinks" On the road up to the parking lot everyone watched anxiously as the number on the gauge changed. When we got to the parking lot it was -27! It was a bracing day. We needed to head to the lodge pretty much after each run, but we had a great day because the hill was virtually empty

I wouldn't survive without my hotronic boot warmers. I didn't use them last year as it was so warm, but this year I am dusting them off for the horros of La Nina.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:18 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

When it's that cold, the worst thing is sitting on the chairlift, trying to speak when your lips and mouth don't seem to work anymore.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I always thought we should have a BE meetup at a ski hill

If we went on a really cold day, no one would have to speak
Old Oct 20th 2010, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

I always thought we should have a BE meetup at a ski hill

If we went on a really cold day, no one would have to speak
Ideal, cos we wouldn't even see what we all looked like. It would be like a virtual meet.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious about the kit you used. Are these full "Darth Vader" style with nose/mouthpieces or gogles with balaclava type head coverings with holes for breathing? I find the balaclavas ice up fast with the moist breath and wearing glasses is impossible.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jimf
I'm curious about the kit you used. Are these full "Darth Vader" style with nose/mouthpieces or gogles with balaclava type head coverings with holes for breathing? I find the balaclavas ice up fast with the moist breath and wearing glasses is impossible.
WE use neoprene masks and goggles.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:45 pm
Lowering the tone

I just use powerful swear words to ward off the cold. Though with frozen lips, it all starts to sound the same.

"Fkkkkkkkkkoooooooolllllllllddddddd!!"
Old Oct 20th 2010, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

WE use neoprene masks and goggles.
Same here

From a distance, they look like the things some cyclist couriers use. After seeing an instructor with one at COP when it was so cold I have a private lesson (as no one else showed up, in fact I had the choice of 4 instructors!). I bought one. Now I have about 4 with all different designs. I use one like this: http://www.bulabula.com/products/#/?...8&modelId=5465

Most hills have them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.