Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any experiences claiming from Johnson Insurance?

Any experiences claiming from Johnson Insurance?

Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

MJSCA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any experiences claiming from Johnson Insurance?

I was reading some old threads where people recommended Johnson Insurance Company as a low cost insurance company for expats.

Their rate quote was $2300 less than RBC! But we all know that any low cost insurance company is "AMAZING!" if you ask someone about them - until you go and try to claim from them!

So my question is: Has anybody filed any claims with Johnson Insurance, and what was their experience? Smooth and effortless, or finicky and complicated?

I just moved to Toronto from BC, and in BC I was able to use my wife's vehicle on my EU license while I waited for my Permanent Residence to be approved. But now I need to get insurance with my name on the policy and the prices are outrageous if you have no Canadian driving record. Johnson's price is good, but I'd hate to have to file a claim with them and have them turn out to be one of those companies that throws as many legal technicalities at you as they can to try and get out of paying out.

Thanks!
Old Dec 7th 2010, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any experiences claiming from Johnson Insurance?

We had a house insurance claim with them for water damage caused by an exploding in-floor heating pipe in our basement. They sent a cleanup crew straight round, and we had no issues with them paying for it. They weren't covering the cause of the issue though (that was admitted and covered by our furnace maintenance company) so they didn't really have much to weasel out of. I've never heard of issues claiming with them, and we still use them for auto, as nobody can come close on their price.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 1:10 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

No experience of them as a customer but they are part of Royal Sun Alliance for what its worth. Their headquarters are in St. John's and I know a few people who work there. They're regarded as a good employer which I think would give me some reassurance in using them.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

Have used them since we arrived made claim on both home and auto policy and it could not have been easier. People on end of phone are very polite and seem knowledge. Obviously every claim is different but I would recommend them. Had far more problems with UK firms in the past!