Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary Weather!

Calgary Weather!

Old Jul 30th 2016, 4:06 am
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary Weather!

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
So how come the roads round here in the Okanagan are currently cluttered up with naffing Calgarian registered trucks?
And you know they're Calgarian, how?
Old Jul 30th 2016, 4:09 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinpusher63
And you know they're Calgarian, how?
Because the vast majority have the suppliers name on the plates
Old Jul 30th 2016, 4:09 am

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Perhaps hail for you, more like sleet, it wasn't ice here near the airport.
You can call it sleet if you like but it was hail. You don't get snow at those temperatures, just plain does not happen.

As a qualified weather observer for 30 years I do know what I'm talking about.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Because the vast majority have the suppliers name on the plates
Hmm, detective Stinky scores one for team Okanagan.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 4:11 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinpusher63
Hmm, detective Stinky scores one for team Okanagan.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 9:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The weather has been really odd, back in May it was scorching, far hotter than I can remember. And July it has rained more than it normally does. The Stampede was washed out.

Anyway, talking about rapid temperature drops, I remember back a few years ago, the temperature dropped from around 12 to a few degrees below in about a minute, I was driving down 22X and the temp gauge on my car just plunged, and then the windshield cracked! I assume it was because it was laminated and the glass on the outside just cooled down too quickly. I thought something must have hit the windshield but the guy at speedy glass said he couldn't find any sign of an impact.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 9:33 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
The weather is just mad!� ���� But I LOVE IT!
I was prepared for hot summers and cold winters, but it is bonkers, 29C to snow in 25 mins, this surely can't happen anywhere else in the world?
I think it was early 2008, it went from -45 on Tuesday, to 8 on Wednesday then -23 on Thursday. See if you love that.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 12:51 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

That was the crappiest summer in Calgary for a very long time. And I'm including Snowtember.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 1:25 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Yup - terrible summer
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 10:00 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I visited Calgary many times before coming to live in Canada. My MIL told me proudly how '"we've had snow in every month of the year" and the I visited one Easter...with a suitcase of pretty clothes, only to be snowed in for quite a few days. It was the weather that really put me off the place! So I moved to the east coast...where we have few surprises...it's filthy hot and humid in summer and frozen solid for six months between that period.

...we are actually enjoying a few really nice days presently, where it's chilly in the morning and evening and about 20 degrees in the daytime if only it would stay like this, for more than a few days, I could cope with Canada!
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 1:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
...the east coast...where we have few surprises...it's filthy hot and humid in summer and frozen solid for six months between that period...
I've been here over 11 years now and I walk around in Summer still disbelieving it's the same place that gets buried in snow every winter.

Likewise, come March and April when you've had enough it's equally hard to believe we get the glorious days of summer and autumn.

My wife's outlook was a bit different. She couldn't wait for the humid days of summer to be over so she could bitch about winter (and vice versa). Her words, not mine.