Reload this Page >

Calgary Rental

Calgary Rental

Old Aug 1st 2015, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

chindonciaobella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calgary Rental

Hello to the forum.
We are a family of four moving to Calgary in 3-4 weeks. Wondering if anyone has a rental property in the SE for a 6 month rental in McKenzie Lake, McKenzie Towne or Cranston. We have contacted a few landlords via rentfaster, kijiji and rentspot but we are having no luck with these areas. These areas required due to proximity to work and schooling for our kids.
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary Rental

Are those the only neighbourhoods you've tried?

There's a tonne more in that vicinity you could look into...the rental occupancy in Calgary was at 2.6% last month apparently, that's the highest its been since I got here 3 years ago

Which employer and school are you referring to? Could point you in the direction of other places to look!
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 2:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks for replying Haggis88. I am going to be working in Sundance and we want to buy in Mahogany. Mahogany does not have an elementary built yet and we have read that McKenzie Lake's elementary has spaces and accepts overflow from Cranston which is why these areas would work for us. Thanks again.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

We've just bought in Copperfield, so have done quite extensive looking around the SE areas both in and outside the ringroad

My favourite area by far was New Brighton, but the house we found in Copperfield is far better than what our money would have gotten us in New Brighton, and they're right next to each other anyway.

New Brighton and Copperfield are both expanding hugely right now, and there's an Elementary School being build in NewB at the moment, I think its supposed to open for the 2016 intake, although I'm not certain on that...nor do I know what grades it encompasses (K-9 rings a bell though)

I liked Mahogany and Auburn Bay, but it was just too rich for my blood!

Chapparal might also be one to consider...all of those neighbourhoods down there (Chapparal, Seton, Cranston, Silverado) have a lot of new builds going on...surely the kids must be going somewhere for school!
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Hi Haggis88. Thanks again. We had our recce visit in May and really liked the houses we viewed in Mahogany. We did not view any in New Brighton and Cranston but will definitely take your advice and view a wider area when we move. I work in healthcare and Mahogany was recommended by a few colleagues due to proximity to work but I agree a week is clearly too short to get a real feel of neighbourhoods.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 9:36 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Our house in NS is on the market because we are moving to Calgary. Have been checking out areas and homes online and have just hooked up with a realtor. I am trying to narrow down my preferred neighbourhoods so recommendations on here is good for me to follow up on too. We would only want a short term rental before buying and that's even harder to find.

I am flying into Calgary for about 5 or 6 days in early October. I will be mostly looking around on my own because hubby will be back at work. I'd better rent a car with a GPS
Old Aug 4th 2015, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cookie
Our house in NS is on the market because we are moving to Calgary. Have been checking out areas and homes online and have just hooked up with a realtor. I am trying to narrow down my preferred neighbourhoods so recommendations on here is good for me to follow up on too. We would only want a short term rental before buying and that's even harder to find.

I am flying into Calgary for about 5 or 6 days in early October. I will be mostly looking around on my own because hubby will be back at work. I'd better rent a car with a GPS
If you've hooked up with a good realtor, surely they'll be able to take you round a few places?

I would totally recommend my guy if you're not set in with a realtor yet (not sure how far "hooked up" is )

What are you looking for WRT: areas? There's no "bad" areas in Calgary, well except maybe Forest Lawn/Dover
Old Aug 5th 2015, 12:51 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
If you've hooked up with a good realtor, surely they'll be able to take you round a few places?

I would totally recommend my guy if you're not set in with a realtor yet (not sure how far "hooked up" is )

What are you looking for WRT: areas? There's no "bad" areas in Calgary, well except maybe Forest Lawn/Dover
Hooked up as in emailing of course - I am hoping he can show me around some areas once there. We are looking at SW, SE, NW and possibly Okotoks because it has a small town community feel with lots of the amenities we are looking for without having to travel into the city. I'd like plenty greenery, or better still, close to a park, trail and not too far from water. We don't mind condo fees either especially since that means I won't ever have to shovel snow again. It was a tough winter out east Daily commute not an issue since hubby works a 10/10 rotational job up at Kearl. Since our kids are now grown I'd like local cafés, restaurants, shopping, bars, a nice gym, pool and a rink to watch Junior A (or above) hockey.