Reload this Page >

Calgary cost of living idea

Calgary cost of living idea

Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:31 am
Just Joined

RSJAGO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calgary cost of living idea

Morning all,

I have been informed of the sort of hourly rate I should find myself on once over the pond but my situation is that I will be going with my OH and a baby which she is currently baking. So it will be just my income for a good while, for this move to be finnacialy viable I could do with ball park figures of monthly expenditure for a family

I have had a look at property rentals on Rentfaster and it seems I will have to pay a fair whack ($2000 ish) a month for a 3/4 bed detached house in recommended hoods.

So excluding rent i would budget around $1300 a month for everything like TV, phone, elec, gas, water, food shopping. Not including luxuries like eating out etc. or car payments and petrol. Does that sound about right?

So all told $3300 a month all in!! thats £2100 ish! Thats considerably more than I pay over here but thats neither here nor there.

Thanks in advance

Ryan
Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

headingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to all
Default Re: Calgary cost of living idea

family of 4 ish, we kept our bills over a few months to see where our money goes. Add your mortgage.

Prop tax 200 (just under 2000ish sq ft house, 1994 build, calgary)
car Ins 100 ( newer minivan)
House/Med ins/dentist/prescriptions etc 150
TV/Int 100
Food 1200 (includes stuff you would throw in the trolly as asda, washing up liquid, bin liners etc)
Cloth 500
petrol 250
House Gas Elect 300
H2o sewage stuff 100
Misc: 500/kids stuff

some will be more, some will be less.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:29 am
Just Joined

So i obviously am under budgetting here. With your list plus $2000 a month rent/mortgage Im looking at $5500 as a ball park figure, which is £3500 ish.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

You don't pay property tax on a rental; the landlords pay it.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RSJAGO
Morning all,

I have been informed of the sort of hourly rate I should find myself on once over the pond but my situation is that I will be going with my OH and a baby which she is currently baking. So it will be just my income for a good while, for this move to be finnacialy viable I could do with ball park figures of monthly expenditure for a family

I have had a look at property rentals on Rentfaster and it seems I will have to pay a fair whack ($2000 ish) a month for a 3/4 bed detached house in recommended hoods.

So excluding rent i would budget around $1300 a month for everything like TV, phone, elec, gas, water, food shopping. Not including luxuries like eating out etc. or car payments and petrol. Does that sound about right?

So all told $3300 a month all in!! thats £2100 ish! Thats considerably more than I pay over here but thats neither here nor there.

Thanks in advance

Ryan
We are a family of 4. Our weekly grocery bill is approx $250 - $300. We do not live like kings. $1,300 is unlikely to be enough for the expenses you have listed, particularly with a young baby. Have you researched the cost of baby stuff in Canada?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:32 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We are a family of 4. Our weekly grocery bill is approx $250 - $300. We do not live like kings. $1,300 is unlikely to be enough for the expenses you have listed, particularly with a young baby. Have you researched the cost of baby stuff in Canada?
That grocery bill sounds about right.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

okey dokey, i was obviously over optermistic about costs etc. Ill need to budget $3500 before rent to be safe by the sounds of things.

Thank you all for your informative replys
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:52 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, That's a pretty big house for two adults and a babe!

You can easily find something cheaper than that in a "nice neighbourhood", unless you are expecting lots of visitors, IMHO I'd save my money and get a smaller property. Diapers are apparently pretty expensive here

What area are you working in?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Just one more for your averages

Couple + 2 year old:

Rent: 1700 (large 3 bedroom house in good area)
Food shopping: 800 (about 200 a week)
Utility Bills: 200 per month summer, 300 per month winter
TV/Internet/Phone: $180 but we get quite a few add-ons you could remove

so those are your basics as you said to ignore car insurance, fuel etc.

You can def get a detached, nice sized house in a good area for 1600 - 1800.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

I agree that we dont need a large place to live, but i would like a nice place. Cheaper the better, im sure we can find somewhere for less than the budgeted $2k.

delsol79 your budget breakdown sounds closer to my workings out originally, its even lower than my original $1300!

If I try to budget somewhere inbeween the highest and lowest breakdowns I should be safe.

In response to your question Snowcandy Ill be in the oil & gas field, piping designer.