Reload this Page >

CAD Jobs in Canada

CAD Jobs in Canada

Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:34 am
Just Joined

felixflyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CAD Jobs in Canada

Hi

Are there many opportunities for CAD Draughtsman in Canada?

I have over 15 years experience as a Draughtsman, mainly AutoCAD 2D & 3D but also Inventor and some Microstation. My history in mainly Civil and Architectural with a bit of everything else. Last 2 years has been in tunnelling.

Would I be able to make the move with my experience? Is there plenty of work around at the moment? Has anyone in the same industry made the move and has it worked out?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAD Jobs in Canada

Have you already got PR or do you require an employer to sponsor you/get the LMO?

That info may well make a difference to the replies you get.

Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:05 am
Just Joined

felixflyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am in the UK at the moment and am a UK Citizen. We are looking to emmigrate to either Canada, USA or Australia and I am just looking at employment opporunities at the moment.

I would be hoping to get a job and sponsorship before moving unless there was enough work to make it worthwhile coming over on some kind of working visa and then finding something.

Regards
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by felixflyer
Hi

I am in the UK at the moment and am a UK Citizen. We are looking to emmigrate to either Canada, USA or Australia and I am just looking at employment opporunities at the moment.

I would be hoping to get a job and sponsorship before moving unless there was enough work to make it worthwhile coming over on some kind of working visa and then finding something.

Regards
Here is a general job site you can search that will give you an idea of what is available:

www.indeed.ca
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I see. I have no idea about Oz, that may be a good option for you, but the US would certainly be tricky - it's notorious as the toughest country to emigrate to. Maybe post on the US section of the forum to get an idea of whether or not that's a possibility?

You'd actually need the job offer and LMO first, you can't get a working visa without them. So you'd first have to find a job offer, and an employer who is prepared to go through the paperwork/hassle/wait of hiring you, then they'd have to apply for the LMO (for which they need to prove that they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job). Once you've got the written job offer and LMO, you can then apply for a Temporary Work Permit.

Have you actually been over to Canada to job hunt? That's going to be your best bet. If you're not sure of how to go about finding a job over there, have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki.

Good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

mrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nice

Originally Posted by johnh009
Here is a general job site you can search that will give you an idea of what is available:

www.indeed.ca
Thanks Johnh009 for the information about this site. I've only just started looking around seriously at working in Canada, and this has made me realise that I have some possibilities.

With regard to felixflyer, I don't know this yet (as I have only just started looking myself) but I would have thought if anyone stood a chance with the varied nature of you're background you'd stand as good a chance as anybody.

I work in Civils in the UK (mostly traffic and environmental improvements) and where our work is predominantly 2D CAD, as I'm sure you probably know increasingly engineers are being asked to do their own CAD as firms cut out draughtsman (except for the best of the best and just taking on contractors where required). Good luck.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 11:21 pm
we aint goin' back,no way

loose moose will become famous soon enoughloose moose will become famous soon enough

Hi

Are there many opportunities for CAD Draughtsman in Canada?

I have over 15 years experience as a Draughtsman, mainly AutoCAD 2D & 3D but also Inventor and some Microstation. My history in mainly Civil and Architectural with a bit of everything else. Last 2 years has been in tunnelling.

Would I be able to make the move with my experience? Is there plenty of work around at the moment? Has anyone in the same industry made the move and has it worked out?
Some architectural firms are hiring here in Calgary - which is a positive step, the construction industry appears to be gaining a little confidence again. problem for you though is that there are plenty of out-of-work locals in the same field. Sorry to be negative, but i say what i see!
Old Jan 8th 2011, 3:05 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I notice you posted this question just over 2 years ago regarding Vancouver. What has the ast couple of years of research shown you?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:42 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

Australia or New Zealand may be your best options right now. They are crying out for engineers, particularly in the highways sector and where they need engineers, they are bound to need draughtsmen My inbox is inundated with e-mails from recruitment agencies trying to entice me with the opportunities available there in civil engineering at the moment. Good luck