Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buying without a buyers agent / realtor

Buying without a buyers agent / realtor

Old Nov 18th 2015, 6:47 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying without a buyers agent / realtor

Aaahhhh Mr N2O....

Originally Posted by not2old
I suppose it depends on a few factors such as the market, your property, do you want unsecured or unsolicited vagabonds or curb kickers coming through your place, some that are looking to do a possible break in or steal from you?
The argument of fear. We see it everywhere. Don't vote for them or bad things will happen. Don't eat bacon or you'll be dead by midnight. Don't look now but there's a terrorist living next door. In fact any threat from the boogey man to frighten you into doing whatever he wants.
If you really think there are hoards of ne'er do wells driving around casing joints, then perhaps you should tell realtors that 'Open Days' are not such a good idea. But if there are, arranging viewings by yourself does give you some control over who steps across the threshold.
If I were a realtor I too would be thinking up all sorts of reasons to pay me money.
What I suggested in my original post was, if you had the time then try selling yourself, if not then the realtor cadre has it stitched up to ensure that a quick sale might be difficult.. not impossible though.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 6:59 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Selling your house quickly is easy. Just list it for 20% below market price.

On a more serious note, time on the market can be a quick guide to market price. If you have two comparable homes for sale at different prices and one sits for weeks and the other sells in 2-3 days, then the one that sits is overpriced.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 8:16 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

@ post #61 & #62

Around these parts, resale properties that have been selling quick is when an agent sticks the Brokerage sign in the lawn with an added label on it 'coming soon'

Two weeks later the interest ups, many calls to the agent about the property, the 'coming soon' part of the sign is gone, with the property selling within 5 days of it going live listed on the MLS.

On price point, we've seen properties purposely listed below the last selling prices of similar properties in the area & what happens is multiple offers with it selling above what the last property sold for 2 weeks earlier.

Its 'anything goes' to 'whatever it takes for one to sell' as quickly as possible.

Agree though, 'over priced' listing may sit & get stale

In a sellers market, take two properties in the same neighbourhood, 100% exactly the same, both listed at the same price as everything else sold in the neighbourhood - one 'for sale' with FSBO, the other a full MLS listing.

Which one do you figure will sell the quickest & which one got the highest selling price?

Last edited by not2old; Nov 18th 2015 at 8:53 pm. Reason: small edit
Old Nov 18th 2015, 8:39 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Just my experience in my particular market, and obviously a generalization, but FSBOs are usually overpriced. Owners have a higher opinion of their own home than buyers do.

I would always offer less to a FSBO. I want my share of the saved commission. I also have to consider the b*gg*r*t**n factor of dealing with an amateur.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 11:41 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Having looked around a few places recently I get the impression that a lot of home owners insist that realtors list their houses for a lot more than the realtor suggests it's worth.

We've decided not to buy the first place however the listing agent seemed reasonable so we decided to use them as our buyers agent. They aren't great but better than our previous experience, and when we ask for info they get it pretty quickly.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 12:43 am
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
That is interesting. There is a lot more information there now than there used to be. It is out of date though. A house across the street from me was sold earlier this year, and has since been knocked down and rebuilt, but the old house is still shown. All the comparable are from 2014 and, as you know, in the market last year might as well be in the stone age.
Yes, the market is wild at the moment, so would have to supplement with realtor pirate data.

(the only thing they offer)

As I said though if you can find a realtor that offers Private Client Services you will see it is much more superior than the standard MLS printouts they give people.

All realtors have in BC is control of information. Once that is gone, they are near useless. OK I exaggerate but the need to use them becomes significantly more discretionary.

Why this industry is protected (and self-regulated) is beyond me, but I guess a lot of things here are..
Old Nov 19th 2015, 12:44 am
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Selling your house quickly is easy. Just list it for 20% below market price.
Or just be in Vancouver now - It will sell for 20% over. Last year - 850K - this year 1.2M. With my own eyes.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 12:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dave_j
Aaahhhh Mr N2O....

The argument of fear. We see it everywhere. Don't vote for them or bad things will happen. Don't eat bacon or you'll be dead by midnight. Don't look now but there's a terrorist living next door. In fact any threat from the boogey man to frighten you into doing whatever he wants.
If you really think there are hoards of ne'er do wells driving around casing joints, then perhaps you should tell realtors that 'Open Days' are not such a good idea. But if there are, arranging viewings by yourself does give you some control over who steps across the threshold.
If I were a realtor I too would be thinking up all sorts of reasons to pay me money.
What I suggested in my original post was, if you had the time then try selling yourself, if not then the realtor cadre has it stitched up to ensure that a quick sale might be difficult.. not impossible though.