Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buying an unlocked cell phone in Canada (dual sim)

Buying an unlocked cell phone in Canada (dual sim)

Old Nov 6th 2015, 8:20 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying an unlocked cell phone in Canada (dual sim)

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
People today eh.
I have always thought that getting a cell phone consisted of getting a phone that makes and receives calls but I must be so out of touch.
That's about right

Our two adult children that have the latest gadget cell phones, never ever answer their phone calls - it always goes to straight to voice mail. So what's the point of having a cell phone if folks don't answer the calls they receive?

On the flip side, they go berserk if they call our landline unanswered when it goes to the answering machine, thus leaving a nasty message 'where are you, why are you not answering your phone - call me back' Repeat situation calling them.... buzzzzz hang up, don't leave a message on their phones.

What would folks do if they couldn't use two thumbs or waste so much time checking their devices for messages, texting or browsing the internet. When do they have the time for anything else ... watch the traffic or who you bump into
Old Nov 7th 2015, 12:49 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I want to keep on with a dual sim phone because I keep a Canadian sim in slot 1 and a UK sim in slot 2.

There are a few friends I keep in touch with in the UK via text. Also Barclaycard occasionally texts me (UK sim) if they are checking possible fraud on the card. Dual SIM phones are always unlocked (to my knowledge), that's why service providers (either here or in the UK) don't sell them.

But you're right. You can do all I do without a dual sim phone except keep in touch with a few UK friends who you haven't managed to transition over to viber or similar.

Also the UK sim is great when I go back (even if not often). I ring up Virgin UK and say as I haven't made any calls etc for the last year, will you give me some extra minutes/data for the two weeks I'm in the UK. And they have done. I pay £5 a month. I could let it go but I don't.

S
Staples has an Asus dual sim, Z220 unlocked for $90
Old Nov 7th 2015, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I just looked but only found this Asus. But this one may be a possibility:

ASUS ZenFone 2 ZE551ML234G64GN 64GB Phone, Gold | Staples®

S
Old Nov 7th 2015, 12:37 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

as posted @ #17 above, the dual SIM at Staples for $99.95

Acer Liquid Z220 Unlocked Smartphone | Staples®
Old Nov 7th 2015, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. It looks good for the price but I'd like a bigger screen. I'm going to Staples this weekend to see what they've got in stock.

S
Old Nov 12th 2015, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

TheCrosslands is on a distinguished road

I have the Asus Zenfone 2 and it's great but one thing to consider - one SIM slot is only 2G and the other 2/3/4G. Means data only works on the second SIM slot. Not a problem for me as I use Speakout PAYG (uses Rogers network that still has 2G) and a Bell tablet SIM for data. Not many providers are still running 2G networks though.

You can get the phone from MemoryExpress - they only have stores in the West but do mail order to all of Canada. They're pretty good for tech stuff.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi thanks v much. I only use data for my Canadian SIM. I suppose when I go to the UK I can just reverse the SIMs. I think it's the same with my current phone.

The Asus Zenfone 2 is in Staples via mail order. Are they quite slim or chunky?

I read a review or two and I am considering it.

S
Old Nov 12th 2015, 10:07 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Zenphone 2 specs

https://www.asus.com/Phone/ZenFone_2...pecifications/

Asus Zenfone 2 ZE550ML - Full phone specifications

Nice little device, slim with it
Old Nov 12th 2015, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

TheCrosslands is on a distinguished road

They're pretty slim - some good reviews on YouTube show the size etc.

Mine worked great in UK on an EE PAYG sim (10 quid and got 100Gb data for a month, summer special. If only this kind of deal was available here!)

There's a lot of Asus apps on the phone that take up space, most I'll never use but adding a microSD card fixes the lack of RAM.

Only really issue I've found is the charging is painfully slow - when using Google Maps and having the phone plugged into a USB cable in the car, the battery stills drains down. Asus do a rapid charger but it's $40 and I'm too tight to get one. Means I'm always leaving it charging somewhere or other! Battery life is actually OK but anything that sucks down data over WiFi or 4G with the screen on seems to drain the battery faster than I expected.

I got the Asus flip case that has a clear circle in it that allows you to see messages etc. Waste of money as the plastic circle doesn't clean well and gets scratched. Shame as it's a nice idea. Case is plastic but it's a bitch to open to swap SIMs. Only done this a couple of times fortunately.

It's certainly a nice phone for the price though.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you so much.

I'm going to spend a bit more time looking at the spec etc for the ASUS. I cannot remember what made me look to other phones after I first saw it.

I have been leaning towards the Moto X Play 2 but it's expensive for the dual sim model and I haven't seen it anywhere else except Expansys.

S
Old Nov 13th 2015, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TheCrosslands
I have the Asus Zenfone 2 and it's great but one thing to consider - one SIM slot is only 2G and the other 2/3/4G. Means data only works on the second SIM slot. Not a problem for me as I use Speakout PAYG (uses Rogers network that still has 2G) and a Bell tablet SIM for data. Not many providers are still running 2G networks though.
I was looking up the ZenFone 2 on Expansys and it lists what you are saying about the SIM/networks (i.e. that SIM 2 is only on 2G). However, I looked at the spec for the Asus Selfie version. It seems similar except the SIM slots both seem to work on all bands. However, it is 32GB (rather than 64GB) and the processor is slower (I think). In addition, I do not think I could bear to buy a phone with "Selfie" in the title:

ASUS ZenFone Selfie Dual SIM - ZD551KL (Unlocked LTE, 32GB, Aqua Blue) #AP_ZD551KL_32_BLU - EXPANSYS Canada

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 13th 2015 at 1:49 am.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 3:15 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all

LG nexus 4 is an open phone..I used my when in the UK on a visit, just brought a pay as you go micro sim from Vodafone and was up and running in no time and on my return to NS placed my Koodo sim
Old Nov 15th 2015, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is it a dual sim phone? Because I like to have both sims in at the same time. I will look. Thank you for the suggestion.

S
Old Nov 16th 2015, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

The Azuz isnt a bad phone, just bought one from Costco as i have two phones (personal & Company) Down side is you have to go into settings and choose which SIM your using which i didn't expect, while your using say SIM A, SIM B goes to voice mail and text messages don't come through !
If your travelling outside of Canada and its not an issue choosing to switch to a none Canadian SIM then it'll be OK but after finding this out i Just boxed up the Azuz i bought from Costco and im taking it back.
It seems finding a phone that will run two SIMS at the same time might be an issue.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi thanks.

It seems that some dual sim phones are 'dual active' which means they accept calls etc. from both sims at the same time and you will get the beep thing (I think) which tells you another caller is on the line and some are 'dual standby' which means if one sim is being used for a call, I guess the other goes into VM. (ggogle the terms to understand better than I have explained it).

In practice what I use mine for is to receive texts in Canada from the UK (SIM 2) and to make calls, send texts (worldwide as I have a world texts included package) from the Canadian sim (SIM 1). My phone is configured to always ask me before routing a call via one SIM or the other and the same with texts. Theoretically, I could swap the sims over when in the UK, but in practice I never did this.

All android phones should be able to be set up in the same way. However, I may decide to stick with a Motorola of some kind as I know more or less what I'm getting. Moto G is an excellent phone (dual sim or not) for the price.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.