Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Burlington & Georgetown

Burlington & Georgetown

Old Jan 15th 2017, 10:55 am
Just Joined

nicolar001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Burlington & Georgetown

So we're moving in a few months. We visited last year and spent a couple of days exploring the area, as west as Burlington, as east as the Airport, north as Orangeville. Oakville, Burlington and Georgetown caught our eye, but I can see that Oakville is a little more pricey than Burlington. (Husband will be working at the Pearson Airport).

We've read that Burlington is the second best place to live in Canada. We'd appreciate hearing from those that live there as to why you would recommend it? Why do you love it?
(We have two boys 9 & 6 and community is our priority)

As for Georgetown, it seems like the perfect little town, however we fear being new to the winters it might be a little risky driving to the airport every day?! not to mention time consuming.

Much appreciated as always
Old Jan 15th 2017, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burlington & Georgetown

Originally Posted by nicolar001
So we're moving in a few months. We visited last year and spent a couple of days exploring the area, as west as Burlington, as east as the Airport, north as Orangeville. Oakville, Burlington and Georgetown caught our eye, but I can see that Oakville is a little more pricey than Burlington. (Husband will be working at the Pearson Airport).

We've read that Burlington is the second best place to live in Canada. We'd appreciate hearing from those that live there as to why you would recommend it? Why do you love it?

As for Georgetown, it seems like the perfect little town, however we fear being new to the winters it might be a little risky driving to the airport every day?! not to mention time consuming.

Hi. My hubby works at Pearson! Will yours be doing shifts? If he's doing a straight 9-5 you're going to want to factor traffic in to his journey. It takes 20 minutes for my husband to do his journey at 5am but the rare times he's going in for 9am it can take over an hour.
We live just south of Bolton although I wouldn't recommend Brampton. Insurance premiums are the highest in the country!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi, yes he will be working shifts, which we hope will help avoid traffic.
What insurance are you talking about? Home and car?
Old Jan 15th 2017, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes he will be working shifts, which we hope will help avoid traffic.
What insurance are you talking about? Home and car?
Car insurance. It's insanely high in Brampton.
Is he going to be working for GTAA?

Hubby either starts at 5am, 1pm or 9pm so he hardly every gets any traffic.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

He'll be working with Nav Canada but similar shift start time. Is it fair to say you add an extra 15minutes travel time in winter or are the roads so well used it doesn't affect travel time?
Old Jan 15th 2017, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

He'll be working with Nav Canada but similar shift start time. Is it fair to say you add an extra 15minutes travel time in winter or are the roads so well used it doesn't affect travel time?
It depends where from. From my experience it isn't so much the condition of the roads it's more all the drivers who don't know what they're doing that slows things down. Of course you also have to drive more carefully too. The other day it took me 1.5hrs to do what usually takes 45minutes.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 7:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live in Burlington (I'm in Hamilton) but go there a lot and have friends who do live there. I've always found it to be a great town, lots to do (lots of festivals) and some good pubs / restaurants. http://www.tourismburlington.com/

There's an expats FB group who could give you an insight and help with regards to the area (but there's also people on here who can, of course!).

My sister lives in Georgetown and likes it, though she said since they have started building so many sub divisions, it's changed a lot.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 15th 2017 at 7:34 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. Will check it out.
What is hamilton like? what would be the travel time to the airport?

We've also been looking at Barrie.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 12:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We've also been looking at Barrie.
I work, in Guelph, with someone who commutes from Barrie. It's a little short of two hours each way. "That's better than when I was working over by the airport" he says.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
I work, in Guelph, with someone who commutes from Barrie. It's a little short of two hours each way. "That's better than when I was working over by the airport" he says.
Yikes. Google maps says its only around 52mins from Barrie to the Airport?!?!
Old Jan 16th 2017, 12:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In the middle of a summer night I expect that's true and it would be ok if you worked really odd shifts only in good weather. My colleague would have been going in for 7 and leaving around 6; so not late enough to miss the jams on the way home.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work for an IT company in Toronto that had clients in places like Barrie, Midland, and Orillia so I was often on Highway 400 in the winter months. Let's just say I agree with the following:

Ontario's 10 toughest winter roads - WHEELS.ca

Highway 400 — Between Barrie and Toronto is an eight lane, four south and four northbound, route running through a well established snow belt region where blowing wind and snow can produce whiteouts and major drifts during the winter months. As the main GTA artery to cottage and ski country it’s a heavily travelled road all year long and despite having a great surface and good snow clearing service it has been the site of numerous weather-related accidents and major multi-vehicle calamities over the years.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. Will check it out.
What is hamilton like? what would be the travel time to the airport?
Lots of threads on here about Hamilton - I've been here nearly 9 years now, and really like it. Lots of people coming in from Toronto, pushing house prices up and accelerating pockets of gentrification (particularly in terms of places to eat), but still some very good housing buys to be had relative to the rest of the GTA.

There's a regular express GO bus service to Pearson that's virtually 24-hour (at least hourly, apart from between 0240-0440) and uses the 407 (toll motorway).

Link to timetable on GO website

This could be really shift-friendly, and save time and money in terms of driving/parking faff.

There are a handful of GO stops between the Hamilton terminus and the 403 junction; Kirkendall South and Victoria Park would probably be the two neighbourhoods that are closest.

I think there's a couple of stops at park and ride GO stops on the 407 (possibly one somewhere north of Burlington, and another further east on the way to Square One) - but I tend to ignore those when I'm on my way to/from YYZ ;-)

Last edited by bgpz; Jan 16th 2017 at 7:29 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 11:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgpz
Lots of threads on here about Hamilton - I've been here nearly 9 years now, and really like it. Lots of people coming in from Toronto, pushing house prices up and accelerating pockets of gentrification (particularly in terms of places to eat), but still some very good housing buys to be had relative to the rest of the GTA.

There's a regular express GO bus service to Pearson that's virtually 24-hour (at least hourly, apart from between 0240-0440) and uses the 407 (toll motorway).

Link to timetable on GO website

This could be really shift-friendly, and save time and money in terms of driving/parking faff.

There are a handful of GO stops between the Hamilton terminus and the 403 junction; Kirkendall South and Victoria Park would probably be the two neighbourhoods that are closest.

I think there's a couple of stops at park and ride GO stops on the 407 (possibly one somewhere north of Burlington, and another further east on the way to Square One) - but I tend to ignore those when I'm on my way to/from YYZ ;-)
I've caught this bus many times as my sister picks me up at Trafalgar - it's fast!

Old Jan 17th 2017, 1:45 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My parents live in Oakville, and my dad works on the far side of the airport (from Oakville), so NE side of the airport. (Note, he doesn't work at the airport, but in that area.)

He's out the door by about 6:30 and it takes him around an hour to drive to work. Similar on the way home, he leaves around 5:30 and it takes an hour. He has the side streets and highways down to a science, as sometimes it's faster to take the highway, and sometimes it's faster to go on some of the other arteries, just depends on the time of day.

If there's any kind of notable weather it's easily over an hour, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.