Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bunac Working Holiday Visa Insurance - or alternatives?

Bunac Working Holiday Visa Insurance - or alternatives?

Old May 5th 2010, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

chrischrischris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bunac Working Holiday Visa Insurance - or alternatives?

hi, i did a search on this but couldnt seem to find anything very relevant, maybe i wasnt searching hard enough though

anyway, Im sorting out the insurance for my Bunac Working Holiday visa to Canada, ill be over there for the full 1 year. It looks quite costly with Bunac, has anyone used any alternatives? They are quite strict about the details of the policy so i just thought i would see what options besides Bunac's own people have used before - that Bunac accepted!

cheers!

chris
Old May 5th 2010, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

hockeymonkey85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bunac Working Holiday Visa Insurance - or alternatives?

hey mate,

i haven't done my bunac yet, but during my research i found this website that explains some of the different insurance companys policys.

http://www.workingholidaytravelinsurance.com/

can i ask if you are on the non-student bunac and what your plans are for work?
Old May 5th 2010, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

chrischrischris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hockeymonkey85
hey mate,

i haven't done my bunac yet, but during my research i found this website that explains some of the different insurance companys policys.

http://www.workingholidaytravelinsurance.com/

can i ask if you are on the non-student bunac and what your plans are for work?
thanks for that mate. looks like a pretty useful website!

im going over on the non-student programme yeh, im looking at bar work as my canadian gf says it pays pretty good. they have some weird system where you have to tip with every drink, say your drink is $3, you give a $5 and walk off, dont expect the change. so you get pretty good tips working in bars. plus the hourly rate of $9-12 a hour depending on where you plan on working. What part of Canada you off to?
Old May 5th 2010, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

hockeymonkey85 is an unknown quantity at this point

hopefully Banff to work as a chef although i'm getting worried that their might not be much work or an employer that is prepared to sponser me... got to do everything i can to get PR and join my mates!

We won't be going out till this time next year, when and where are you off too?
Old May 5th 2010, 10:19 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrischrischris
anyway, Im sorting out the insurance for my Bunac Working Holiday visa to Canada, ill be over there for the full 1 year. It looks quite costly with Bunac, has anyone used any alternatives? They are quite strict about the details of the policy so i just thought i would see what options besides Bunac's own people have used before - that Bunac accepted!

cheers!

chris
The Bunac insurance is a notorious rip off. There are plenty of alternatives. I used these people and had no trouble http://www.aceinsure.com/backpacker/default.asp
Old May 7th 2010, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Springerella is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
The Bunac insurance is a notorious rip off. There are plenty of alternatives. I used these people and had no trouble http://www.aceinsure.com/backpacker/default.asp
I've done my research and I don't believe the Bunac insurance is a rip off but it depends what type of cover you need.

I downloaded and read the policy documents for the insurance deals I could find. The bunac insurance is expensive but your level of cover far outweighs others on offer. I plan to do a snow season and lots of boarding so I wanted high level cover. If you don't plan to board/ski then you can find cheap backpackers insurance from as low as £150 for a year. What I found made the bunac one stand out from the rest was the low excess of £50 and the monetary compensation was really high - for example if my board was lost/stolen I'm covered up to £250 per item where as with other insurers it was only £150 (I can't buy a new board for that!) They even cover the cost of rental gear and replacing rental gear if you break or loose it....man that's some pretty comprehensive cover!

I would suggest thinking about what your taking like expensive electrical items and what activities you plan on doing and then print off the policy documents (available before you purchase) and take the time to read what they offer in comparison with each other. It's seriously boring (think of it as one more evening closer to Canada) but worth it to make sure you get the best value for money. My flights only cost £400 but my insurance was £600 but I know I can loose my board and break my camera and I'm covered, I have peace of mind.

Can I also say I fly a week tomorrow.....I'm so excited.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:37 am
Just Joined

davesol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Springerella
I've done my research and I don't believe the Bunac insurance is a rip off but it depends what type of cover you need.
agreed, i am currently in vancouver on a bunac work visa and ended up taking their insurance as after looking around it was the same sort of money as other places for the cover they offer. the low excess is nice as well - i have had to go to a walk-in clinic which charged me $150 to see a doctor but i can claim it all back other than a £50 excess with the bunac policy. asked the swap office hereand they said that was a standard price for a walk-in clinic here, even though i only got charged 20 bucks to see a doctor in toronto!
Old May 14th 2010, 2:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at this thread you will find alternatives to Bunac Insurance. What you need is "gap year" insurance.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...unac+insurance