Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

BUNAC, SIN numbers

BUNAC, SIN numbers

Old Jun 4th 2008, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

wheelbase is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile BUNAC, SIN numbers

I have applied and secured a non-student work permit, on the BUNAC programme.

I have not sent my applicaton yet as i am not sure when i wish to go.

What happends when i send the pack ?, what do i recive ?, do i get an application form for my SIN number ?, and is it true it take 5-7 weeks to be processed?

Also what will i miss in the orientation? as i plan to go to Alberta and not to one of their chossen cities.

Any help from BUNAC'ers past and present or anyone who knows would be an advantage.

Thank you
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

craig25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BUNAC, SIN numbers

I have just sent of my bunac forms,its been the 3rd week now and im still waiting,ive been told it will take from 4 to 6 weeks,i believe bunac will send you a confirmation letter saying that your visa is ready,you then send them proof of your return flights and insurance then they send it to you,when you get to canada you will need to apply for your sin number there,iam not planning on going to the orientation as iam going to halifax but i believe you dont really need to go.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:44 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wheelbase
I have applied and secured a non-student work permit, on the BUNAC programme.

I have not sent my applicaton yet as i am not sure when i wish to go.

What happends when i send the pack ?, what do i recive ?, do i get an application form for my SIN number ?, and is it true it take 5-7 weeks to be processed?

Also what will i miss in the orientation? as i plan to go to Alberta and not to one of their chossen cities.

Any help from BUNAC'ers past and present or anyone who knows would be an advantage.

Thank you
Hey, well done on getting your Bunac visa! I'm also going out on Bunac this year.
If you are refering to the Work Authorisation forms, then you aren't tied to specific dates or anything you can give them a general idea of when you wish to travel. That way at least you can get the forms away. Of course you have to factor in the wait for your police certs as well.

Once CIC has processed the application, you will get a letter from Bunac telling you that you have been sucessful & that they will forward your Work Authorisation paperwork to you. You don't get anything to do with your SIN number. This letter can take up to 7 weeks.....I got mine yesterday after exactly 6 weeks

I'm not sure you will miss that much at the orientation. From what I understand, they advise you on bank accounts, rentals and getting your SIN number. Nothing you cannot sort out yourself. Maybe others who have been through Bunac already will come along & comment.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:54 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I'm not sure you will miss that much at the orientation. From what I understand, they advise you on bank accounts, rentals and getting your SIN number. Nothing you cannot sort out yourself. Maybe others who have been through Bunac already will come along & comment.
I didn't bother with the orientation. Got my SIN myself in 30 mins at the local HRSDC office and didn't need rental advice etc.

The rumoured bonus to the orientation is a letter banks will accept as a waiver for some, if not all your monthly account fees, though I suspect that's only given to student program participants.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:54 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Oooh interesting! I wonder if it is just for students, would they ask for proof?
I was planning on going with Presidents Choice anyway, seems that they don't charge the crazy fees on their ordinary checking accounts.