Reload this Page >

Brooks, Alberta?

Brooks, Alberta?

Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Olib1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brooks, Alberta?

Hi,

I have been offered a Job in Brooks Alberta. After a bit of research and watching a documentary on the diversity of the towns residents, I got the impression that there were a lot of issues in the town related to immigrants. While I have no problems with immigrants, I will be one myself if I take it... The problems seemed to be immigrants who wanted to live the way they did back in their own country.

These immigrants were there to work for XL foods, which has since been bought by JBS. All of the information I can find on brooks is from 2009 and before, can anyone give me an updated opinion on the town? It would be myself and my wife for the first couple of years and then we would be looking to start a family. Would Brooks be the ideal place to start a family?

Thanks for your help.

Oli
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brooks, Alberta?

Originally Posted by Olib1990
Hi,

I have been offered a Job in Brooks Alberta. After a bit of research and watching a documentary on the diversity of the towns residents, I got the impression that there were a lot of issues in the town related to immigrants. While I have no problems with immigrants, I will be one myself if I take it... The problems seemed to be immigrants who wanted to live the way they did back in their own country.

These immigrants were there to work for XL foods, which has since been bought by JBS. All of the information I can find on brooks is from 2009 and before, can anyone give me an updated opinion on the town? It would be myself and my wife for the first couple of years and then we would be looking to start a family. Would Brooks be the ideal place to start a family?

Thanks for your help.

Oli
Do you chew Khat?
Many articles have been written on Brooks both good and bad. If this job was in Toxteth, Moss Side or Brixton what would your impressions be?
Don't believe everything you read nor discount it.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

matt2can is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My wife is originally from Brooks and her parents still live there. We live in London, UK at present but I have visited Brooks lots and can give you my view on it.

Brooks is a large town, officially a city but not how we view a city in the UK. It is quiet and from what I have seen a good place to raise a family. There is a cinema, sports centre, arena, pool, lots of big supermarkets, decent selection of chain restaurants, nice golf course and lots of really nice people who are very proud of their town. When we move to Canada we will not be moving to Brooks as it we are more big city people. It takes one hour forty five minutes to Calgary which is way too far away for me.

I don't know where you live in the UK but I think that the population mix would be similar to an average UK town. It is no Bradford on one hand, it is no rural Devon on the other. It has ethnic diversity and from what I have seen it is in no way beset by problems as a result of that. Different groups may keep themselves to themselves and preserve culture from their home country, however this is what happens with all immigrant communities for a time. Think of it in terms of the parents may not be interested in Ice Hockey but you can bet that the kids will be.

Any specific questions let me know and I will put them to my wife as she knows a lot more than me.

Good luck
Matt
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Olib1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Brooks, Alberta?

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your great response. My ideal location would be 30 mins out of Calgary, however since I require a job offer to 'get in' I am limited by that. I would give brooks a go for a couple of years and then decide if we would like to stay. By that time I would have permanent residency so it would be much easier to find another employer.

I just have a couple of questions:

1. There is a large meat factory in Brooks, I have heard contrasting opinions on there being a smell from it. Does your wife think it smells? I presume the smell isn't always noticeable, most people said it was just on hot days and depending on wind.

2. You are obviously sure that your moving to Canada at some point, could you tell me why in a nut shell? I guess you are influenced by your wife's opinion of England and perhaps starting a family here if you haven't already.

I really appreciate your help.

Oli
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

matt2can is an unknown quantity at this point

1. There is a large meat factory in Brooks, I have heard contrasting opinions on there being a smell from it. Does your wife think it smells? I presume the smell isn't always noticeable, most people said it was just on hot days and depending on wind.

Yes there can be a smell from the meat factory. The wind is certainly the factor which makes the difference. I have been there on +30 days and not smelled it. It would be completely liveable with unless you were really sensitive to it. I pretty much think you would notice it after a little while. It really is not overwhelming in any way.

2. You are obviously sure that your moving to Canada at some point, could you tell me why in a nut shell? I guess you are influenced by your wife's opinion of England and perhaps starting a family here if you haven't already.

We will start our family when we move to CA all going well. We are making the move simply because my wife misses home and I would like to experience living somewhere new. We love living in London too and aren't heading out in the belief that the grass is greener. I am sure there will be ups and downs. I think our situation is just too different with my wife being Canadian. She has lived in the UK for 10+ years and just feels she needs to be close by her family.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 6:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It's a small town and the main industry is meat packing and so there are many people brought in on TWPs to pack meat basically. I guess it would depend on what job you've been offered.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:16 am
Just Joined

milomilo is an unknown quantity at this point

Having worked there a couple of times I'll give my honest opinion...

It's a tiny town identical to all the other sub 50,000 towns in Alberta and SK. Strips of hotels, fast food chains and truck facilities down one road with some houses scattered around, that's literally all there is. If my parents moved me from one of the greatest cities in the world to there I would be pissed!