Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Brits living in Australia thinking about the Canada move

Brits living in Australia thinking about the Canada move

Old Mar 2nd 2018, 12:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits living in Australia thinking about the Canada move

Originally Posted by Holliepop18
Hey Dorothy, I take it you emigrated from Australia previously then? How long were you in Australia for?
No. I'm Canadian in Australia. My partner and I are looking at moving to Canada in the not too distant future. He's got a visa, done the landing, now just needs his Red Seal and a job. We both have very good jobs here in Perth making very good money, so don't want to move over only to find there's no work for him (I can work anywhere remotely that has internet).

Sorry.... I've been here 12.5 years , my partner 32 years. He's originally from the UK.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliepop18
Hey, I live in Para Hills! How funny! Yep we have thought of Victoria however I think access to Europe and the alps has spoilt us! We have been to NZ a few times and we love the mountain feel but the slopes there are really not amazing. I know The Australian slopes would really dissapoint us.
I lived in Kimba Rd .Para Hills is nice but not alot going on. You probably already know this but dont make the move without getting Australian citizenship just if you want to go back.Good luck.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:49 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I lived in Kimba Rd .Para Hills is nice but not alot going on. You probably already know this but dont make the move without getting Australian citizenship just if you want to go back.Good luck.
Excellent point. OP, if you are eligible for citizenship tyen I would say get it. You never know what the future holds. You may not like Canada.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Holliepop18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely, we are definitely getting our Australia citizenship!
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

What part of Canada are you thinking of moving too?

I am a Brit, who lived in Melbourne the last 7 years. I am in Mississauga now. Certainly a culture shock, even after a year. Public transport is pretty much dire, car is king, car insurance is shocking, rental market can be tough due to lack of properties on the market. After living in a temperate climate for 7 years, winters are very tough. SNOW!!! Grocery shopping is good due to the increased choice. Wholefoods is awesome. Coffee is dire and I am mean dire. Melbourne has ruined me with the great coffee. Be careful with amazon, as sometimes you find your self on the US site and think oh that is cheap, then go back to the CA site and think oh not so cheap.

Cable TV $$$, Mobile Phone can be $$$$, free to air TV is hit and miss. Internet way better than what I had in AU and cheaper for a better package.

Think carefully about it, the cost of living can at times be cheaper but wages generally lower and house prices/rentals in GTA/Toronto are crazy. Coming from Adelaide you may be in for a shock, but that all depends on where you are moving too, so it may be an eashish transition...

Last edited by evets; Mar 3rd 2018 at 2:10 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 5:36 am
Just Joined

Holliepop18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by evets
What part of Canada are you thinking of moving too?

I am a Brit, who lived in Melbourne the last 7 years. I am in Mississauga now. Certainly a culture shock, even after a year. Public transport is pretty much dire, car is king, car insurance is shocking, rental market can be tough due to lack of properties on the market. After living in a temperate climate for 7 years, winters are very tough. SNOW!!! Grocery shopping is good due to the increased choice. Wholefoods is awesome. Coffee is dire and I am mean dire. Melbourne has ruined me with the great coffee. Be careful with amazon, as sometimes you find your self on the US site and think oh that is cheap, then go back to the CA site and think oh not so cheap.

Cable TV $$$, Mobile Phone can be $$$$, free to air TV is hit and miss. Internet way better than what I had in AU and cheaper for a better package.

Think carefully about it, the cost of living can at times be cheaper but wages generally lower and house prices/rentals in GTA/Toronto are crazy. Coming from Adelaide you may be in for a shock, but that all depends on where you are moving too, so it may be an eashish transition...
Thanks for all the info. At this stage we are researching and looking towards Calgary (suburbs) & possibly looking towards BC aswell - places around the Onkanagan Valley- this is by no means exhaustive and we would be open to advice & opinion. We want mountains within an hour or so, so we can snowboard in winter & MTB in summer. A good family, friendly place with access to these kind of activities. Community is important to us as well so not necessarily desiring access to a really big CBD.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

We’re seriously considering a move to Canada (probably GTA), but a change of employer and some golden handcuffs are keeping us in Aussie a little while longer than originally anticipated. The other option is Scotland. Descisions, decisions....