Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British living in Ontario...thinking of moving out west

British living in Ontario...thinking of moving out west

Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British living in Ontario...thinking of moving out west

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Rent has gone down in Calgary last couple of years lots of empty rental apts about.We dont have cable some people I know pay $200 a month to watch a load of commercials.Plenty of buses to take you downtown in winter or you could slide down the hill on 14 St SW may be quicker

Hi Neil, what do you do for work? Did you find it easy or difficult to find work?
Old Oct 5th 2017, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Hi Neil, what do you do for work? Did you find it easy or difficult to find work?
I'm a truck driver,I was doing long haul now just city/short haul.There are plenty jobs for truck drivers but my wife who is Mexican had alot of difficulty finding work 7 months searching until she got work but not something she wants to do but a job anyway. If you are skilled worker I think it's easier to find work .
Old Oct 5th 2017, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I moved to Calgary in January from UK (Newcastle). We’re 29 & 30, no kids (and no intention) and it’s perfect for us!
We pay $1400 for a large 2 bedroom house all bills included except for Internet (that’s $50 a month). We’re in the NW near the Uni as my husband works there. I work for Lush; our local mall is Market Mall & every single store in there are looking for staff most of the time!! Service sector always seems to be looking as well.
We are outdoorsy- love how spaced out Calgary is. Despite having over 1million residents it still feels less populated than Newcastle (which we like!) loads of good places to eat & drink, mountains are an hours drive away but you certainly don’t have to drive very far to be out of the city. Husband mountain bikes and hasloads of choice- even where we are if he doesn’t want to drive anywhere there’s places he can ride from the house. Wildlife even in the city is great too; especially down town by Prince’s Island Park if you like that sort of thing. As a whole it feels clean.
2 of our friends visited in the summer, then went off to Vancouver and Seattle. They seemed struck by Calgary though; thought it was a great city for our age group.

Not sure if that will help: just my opinion. :-) good luck with your decision/potential move!
Old Oct 7th 2017, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Lorno Malvo is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a truck driver,I was doing long haul now just city/short haul.There are plenty jobs for truck drivers but my wife who is Mexican had alot of difficulty finding work 7 months searching until she got work but not something she wants to do but a job anyway. If you are skilled worker I think it's easier to find work .
Are there much opportunities for trades in Calgary?
Thanks
Old Oct 7th 2017, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorno Malvo
Are there much opportunities for trades in Calgary?
Thanks
Have a look at the jobs on Indeed.ca for Calgary that should give you a better idea than I can give you.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Have a look at the jobs on Indeed.ca for Calgary that should give you a better idea than I can give you.
Thanks
Old Oct 8th 2017, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks
You are an electrician?
There is still new homes and apartment buildings still being constructed in Calgary if that's your line of work.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

You are an electrician?
There is still new homes and apartment buildings still being constructed in Calgary if that's your line of work.
OK thanks; unemployment is slowly declining in Calgary, more jobs popping up on indeed; however I lived in Calgary before and I am aware that Canadians like to employ Canadians first...
Old Oct 9th 2017, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK thanks; unemployment is slowly declining in Calgary, more jobs popping up on indeed; however I lived in Calgary before and I am aware that Canadians like to employ Canadians first...
Thats not been my experience but Im in a different line of work from you.The economy is slowly picking up in Alberta even oil and gas companies are hiring .
Old Oct 9th 2017, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say thats particularly true, although 'Canadians like to employ any white western country (preferably who's a native English speaker) national first' may be more accurate with certain employers.