Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Forces and Enhanced Learning Credits in Canada

British Forces and Enhanced Learning Credits in Canada

Old Apr 3rd 2017, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

GloriousGlenn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Forces and Enhanced Learning Credits in Canada

Have any ex-forces used their Enhanced Learning Credits successfully in Canada? I just wondered if it was a pain in the backside or nice and easy?

I've got 2 lots of credits to use and 3 years left to use them!!

Cheers
Glenn
Old Apr 4th 2017, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Forces and Enhanced Learning Credits in Canada

BATUS will tell you, look them up under suffield or BATUS in Google.

(403) 891-3779 Got this from their Facebook site. You might try it.

Last edited by Yorkiechef; Apr 4th 2017 at 1:01 am.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

GloriousGlenn is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks Yorkiechef. I'll give them a shout. They have to be better than ELCAS who replied to me by saying, "Unfortunately I am not aware of providers in Canada, although there are nearly a thousand providers so there could be some but probably not many."

Old Apr 5th 2017, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

matt1670 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: British Forces and Enhanced Learning Credits in Canada

Hey Glenn,

I'd be keen to find out what information you got back, if any!

I thought about using against OU Distance Learning etc.. but wasn't sure if the qualifications would be acceptable or relevant in my case.

Cheers

Mat
Old May 17th 2017, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Location: From Skelmersdale a small town on the outer skirts of Liverpool, Currently Living in Limassol Cyprus
Lewis66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning Glorious Glen, Matt1670.

How are you Both.

The subject you have posted is great interest to myself as im in my last year of service in the Airforce and hoping to move out to canada as quick as possible after.

I have a resettlement brief coming up shortly so i will also speak with CTP to see if they know of any Elcas Providers in canada too.

Can i be really nosey and ask you both what jobs your currently doing over in Canada?
I only ask this because i went to CANADA LIVE expo in Bristol last weekend and altho i knew it was more than likely a money making con from the people running it i didnt want to chance missing. "just incase".
Any way i spoke with a bloke who seen I had my class one license and he believes he could get me out to canada and working in the Maritime provinces By june next year. i mentioned that i would really like to be in central Canada and his words were work there for 18 months and you can then move whereever you want too.

Would you happen to be driving over there and if so is this infomation given to me true? I have been lead to believe in the past that Class one driving will no longer allow you to stay in Canada.

If i get any Info on ELCAS provides from the Career Transition Partnership i will let you lads know.

All the best.

Lewis
Old May 17th 2017, 1:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lewis66
M
Would you happen to be driving over there and if so is this infomation given to me true? I have been lead to believe in the past that Class one driving will no longer allow you to stay in Canada.
Best to ask this in the trucking section of the forum, but that's not correct. Class 1 long distance trucker drivers already out there can apply for PR in some provinces (not all though - so depends on where you end up). The tricky bit is getting a sponsoring employer and LMIA, they seem to be rarer than hens teeth for truckers at the mo. But have a hunt around the truckers forum, there are a few threads on there with suggested companies on.

HTH, good luck.
Old May 23rd 2017, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

NavyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

ELCAS - Enhanced Learning Credits Administration Services

Go to the website.

On the Service Leaver tab at the top click for a drop down list.

The last one is a search for providers, click it.

You will see a box half way down for a search of providers - click it.

Click on advanced search, click on area, click on international and scroll down to Canada. Tick the box and you get a list of Canadian providers.

Some are distance learning but it gives you an idea of what is available.

The website is easy to use and the process for applying via the site not too difficult.
Old May 30th 2017, 8:07 am
Just Joined

grantstevenson is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning Glorious Glen, Matt1670

Im just about to complete my termination with the Army, and move to Canada on a 2 year work visa. My partner is Canadian so im hoping she can sponsor me after a year of living together. Were looking to live near Toronto just wanted to know how you guys got on with finding Jobs etc and did having past military experience help you?

thanks

Grant
Old May 30th 2017, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Location: From Skelmersdale a small town on the outer skirts of Liverpool, Currently Living in Limassol Cyprus
Thumbs up Re: British Forces and Enhanced Learning Credits in Canada

Good Morning Grant,

Nice to see its not just me in this position at the moment. Like you I am now in my termination period from the MOB and looking to get in to Toronto area too.

Unfortunately for me my wife is a fellow scouser so she doesn't help me as a sponsor!

Mate I travelled over to Toronto (Burlington/Oakville) in February using my Resettlement leave and as a logistic supplier I looked in to a lot of logistic firms around the Toronto suburbs areas.
Now with me not being eligible to work there just yet non where willing to speak with me in regards to jobs but via email the companies I contacted were all extremely helpful. some did say my cv looked great and if I was able to work in Canada it shouldn't be a problem to start picking up work.

I will say that their resume is a lot different to a cv and after speaking with around 10 companies and picking up on a few things they mentioned in their contact with me I think it would be beneficial to pay and have a Canadian company write you a resume.

I hope your search goes well and don't be put off contacting companies in the industry you have a trade. I really did find the minimal contact helpful even though they where looking at me like a "YOZZA HUGHES" and wouldn't give me a Job. haha.

all the very best

Lewis
Old May 30th 2017, 8:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I will say that their resume is a lot different to a cv and after speaking with around 10 companies and picking up on a few things they mentioned in their contact with me I think it would be beneficial to pay and have a Canadian company write you a resume.
Or have a look at the Wiki on the forum, which has a whole page about converting a CV to a resume and loads of useful links etc, too. That's probably worth a try first before paying anybody.

And just as you've asked about Class 1 driving above, I assume you know that there's no way for a driver/trucker to get PR in Ontario? I'm not sure what logistics means tbh, hopefully it's a skilled job so you would be able to get PR, but just thought I'd mention it as you asked about driving too so if you do go down that route, you should look at other provinces so that you can stay in Canada if you wish.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 30th 2017 at 8:49 am.
Old May 30th 2017, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Or just use the Wiki on the forum, which has a whole page about converting a CV to a resume and loads of useful links etc, too. That's probably worth a try first before paying anybody.

And just as you've asked about Class 1 driving above, I assume you know that there's no way for a driver/trucker to get PR in Ontario?

HTH.
yeah i know that one christmasoompa, im currently in talks with a canadian immigration company who say they can get me work in the maritime provinces and then after 18 month to two years i can apply and then move to Ont.

Although i have the correct driving licences im not actually a wagon driver and dont particulary want to be a wagon driver but if i have no other way and it help me achieve my goal of moving across to canada i will happily give it a go to get residency.

i can tell you im looking down other avenues first as we have family in the Burlington Ont area and believe it would be alot easier to settle in a new country within driving distance from family rather than a provice we have never visited and dont know much about.

cheers for your info tho, i cant say i knew about the cv toi resume wiki area.

Lewis
Old May 30th 2017, 9:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

yeah i know that one christmasoompa, im currently in talks with a canadian immigration company who say they can get me work in the maritime provinces and then after 18 month to two years i can apply and then move to Ont.
OK, just be very careful of that. If they're suggesting that you use another provinces PNP to get PR and then move to Ontario, that's potentially misrepresentation and could get your PR revoked further down the line. If a province sponsors you, then you are supposed to settle there (and usually have to sign something to that effect) and they don't like you using it as a stepping stone to another province.

If you got PR there and then after a while couldn't find work for instance (or another good reason for needing to move on) then it should be fine, but from what you've said above they're suggesting you apply for PR and 'then move to Ont', that wouldn't be ok. So do be very careful about applying for PR in an 'easier' province just to get PR and move to Ontario, it's something that is checked, you are supposed to intend to reside in the province that sponsors you. And having ties to another province can mean you'd be refused in whichever Maritime province you're looking at anyway, as they might suspect you'd do just that, this post is an example of that happening to another member - http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post11340114

If you've not seen the Wiki articles on job hunting yet, then grab a cuppa and get reading! Loads of useful info in there.

Best of luck.
Old May 31st 2017, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

matt1670 is an unknown quantity at this point

So the information that is found on the ELCAS shows 27 providers of courses but these are all UK based.. There is distance learning but the courses do not have any relevance/qualification in Canada!

grantstevenson lewis66 PM me and I'd be happy to provide email for further chat. Don't visit the site enough any more sorry
Old Jun 1st 2017, 7:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by matt1670
grantstevenson lewis66 PM me and I'd be happy to provide email for further chat. Don't visit the site enough any more sorry
They can email you directly, just need to click on your username and click the 'send email to matt1670' option - will save faffing about with PM's first!

HTH.