Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Family moving to Toronto

British Family moving to Toronto

Old Oct 21st 2014, 1:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Family moving to Toronto

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Is the place you're referring to. It was more like drinking in your great aunts parlour complete with lots of artifacts from the victorian and edwardian era.

Pimblett's Toronto Bed and Breakfast, Pub
I remember that place but, no, that was much more grand and pretty much in Cabbagetown.

This is the place I was thinking of:

Contact Us - McCarthy's Irish Bar, Toronto
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 12:55 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto is a great town but you will not be doing yourself any favours by rushing into the home buying insanity right away.

I say find a rental for now and turn home buying into a side hobby as you get a feel for this great city and all it has to offer. Don't rush into things.

+1 on Leaside, it's one of the great areas for families--if a little waspy--with lots of amenities for your kids.

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Oct 22nd 2014 at 12:59 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Lullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou so much everyone. Enjoyed the banter as well . After years of expating in the med I'm really looking forward to something different albeit a little cold but I'm sure we'll get used to it
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 2:05 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lullabell
Thankyou so much everyone. Enjoyed the banter as well . After years of expating in the med I'm really looking forward to something different albeit a little cold but I'm sure we'll get used to it
Yes, you'll get used to it. You'll tolerate it for some years, but then as perhaps you get a bit older, you'll think and say, get me the **** out of here, are you all brain-dead?

Welcome to Toronto.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 5:36 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

albeit a little cold
You might have a surprise coming in summer....

Straw poll- how many of us do not have A/C in their homes? (I don't, by the way).
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 5:51 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Other than those with personal choices, there is the (survey) scientific approach ...

Neighbourhoods Ranking

The Best Places to Live in the City: A (Mostly) Scientific Ranking of All 140 Neighbourhoods in Toronto | Toronto Life

The major highways (motorway) in and around Toronto where you see a vast majority of commuters that live in the east, work in the west and vice-versa as well as the north/south divide

The traveled highways of the Don Valley Parkway, the 400, 401 and 427, you see hundreds of thousands travel in a direction up to one hour to work from where they live.

For the those in the central, east & west city neighbourhoods - folks on the transit (TTC) is at best always congested in rush hour. Its a busy city & I'm sure that you will love it

Last edited by not2old; Oct 23rd 2014 at 6:17 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 5:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
You might have a surprise coming in summer....

Straw poll- how many of us do not have A/C in their homes? (I don't, by the way).
I don't, I've never had airco at home. It seems ridiculous to me that, in a frigid climate, people hide inside on the warm days.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 6:06 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

we have air con. during the summer we set it at "arctic tundra"
we compensate by barely having the heating on in the winter. last winter was actually the first time we used it
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 6:48 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

We have it, but tend to only use it on the really humid and sticky days when opening the windows does nothing. Usually we just use ceiling and floor fans and open the windows.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

saz1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the place I was thinking of:

Contact Us - McCarthy's Irish Bar, Toronto[/QUOTE]

McCarthy's is long gone. They closed it down last summer and spent about a year renovating it and getting permits sorted. It reopened late this summer as the Corner House. Still and Irish bar and run by an Irish couple.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 7:07 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum but I'm a serial expat . We are relocating to Toronto just after Christmas. Visas/job etc is sorted. I have 2 children one of junior school age.
OP, the current thread in conjunction with the linked thread below

http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple.../#post11448201
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 10:41 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: British Family moving to Toronto

Originally Posted by not2old
This survey is quite bizarre. Bridle Path (the most expensive area? at #42). And some sketchy stuff above that.

I like the Beaches at #8.

For the record the areas I called have been combined into Birchcliff-Cliffside at #38. Can't complain.

Last edited by Pizzawheel; Oct 23rd 2014 at 10:44 pm.