Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Family moving to Toronto

British Family moving to Toronto

Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Lullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Family moving to Toronto

Just been looking at Leaside. Is this an easy commute for a non driver into the financial district? Looks very pretty and the schools look great??
Old Oct 16th 2014, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lullabell
Just been looking at Leaside. Is this an easy commute for a non driver into the financial district? Looks very pretty and the schools look great??
Yes.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 1:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Yes.
Indeed. One bus, short walk each end. Another option for the dedicated might be to bicycle across to Sunnybrook and then ride downtown; it can be done through the parks along the Don Valley with very little use of roads. Depends on the office, of course, some banks are reluctant to have bikes chained to their marble pillars and gilded statues.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Lullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help everyone
Old Oct 20th 2014, 1:05 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty easy to live in central/ downtown Toronto, especially compared to many British cities where you wouldn't even consider it.

But since we're shouting out for favourite 'burbs one overlooked neighbourhood is Birchcliff (just east of the beaches) and also Cliffside and Cliffcrest further east. These are the lakeside neighbourhoods on top of the Scarboro bluffs. Kingston road itself is a bit strip-mally but the housing south of Kingston is lovely. Birchcliff & Cliffside are also on the limits of the TTC and Scarboro go takes you straight into Union station (two stops) which is in the financial district.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 2:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
But since we're shouting out for favourite 'burbs one overlooked neighbourhood is Birchcliff (just east of the beaches)
A bit shooty, innit? Between that, the impracticality of transportation; bus to the subway, bus to the tram or bus to the GO station, and the ever receding coastline, I think I'd sooner move to Oakville. Nice hill to the yacht club though, I practised for the Grand Canyon by walking down and up that with a 2-4 on my back.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 2:28 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A bit shooty, innit? Between that, the impracticality of transportation; bus to the subway, bus to the tram or bus to the GO station, and the ever receding coastline, I think I'd sooner move to Oakville. Nice hill to the yacht club though, I practised for the Grand Canyon by walking down and up that with a 2-4 on my back.
Nah you have to get a way north to around Lawrence, or (much) further east to Morningside before the fun starts.

Bus to subway/tram is a small pain (I used to live off the Danforth and could walk) but you can park for free at the GO. Nice to have all three options.

The other thing is according to Wikipedia the area is very anglo. Second language spoken is listed as "negligible". So quite a few pubs with a proper pub atmosphere, and other benefits (Duckworths fish and chips, etc)

Of course the main benefit over Oakville is keeping that other half mill in your pocket - unless you actually go for a cliff-top property!
Old Oct 20th 2014, 2:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The other thing is according to Wikipedia the area is very anglo. Second language spoken is listed as "negligible". So quite a few pubs with a proper pub atmosphere, and other benefits (Duckworths fish and chips, etc)
The people I knew who lived there were Newfies, some were in a rather rundown apartment building just south of Kingston Rd, others, who are still there, had rather a nice house a block over. I suppose you'd classify them as anglos, though that's not English as we know it. We drank in Tom somethings (Houston's maybe) or the Doghouse. The former tended to liveliness.

When I lived in the Beach I'd have the car serviced at the Ford dealer there which is how I came to experience the bus to the tram, not a reliable bus and one that was always crammed full of uniformed schoolgirls.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:56 pm
Proudly Scarberian

There are rundown apartments and social housing everywhere- it's all part of Toronto's integrated approach. Which actually seems to work.

Was that bus from Heritage ford, the #12? Yeah it can be packed with school kids but easier to avoid that start time.

The Feathers at Kingston & Viv Park is the definitive english pub!
Old Oct 20th 2014, 10:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There are rundown apartments and social housing everywhere- it's all part of Toronto's integrated approach. Which actually seems to work.

Was that bus from Heritage ford, the #12? Yeah it can be packed with school kids but easier to avoid that start time.

The Feathers at Kingston & Viv Park is the definitive english pub!
Actually I think it's more Scottish.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 12:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It does have an impressive selection of single malts. An American I knew chugged those merrily. Very cliquely place though, an odd crowd including Terry, who once toured Europe towing a caravan behind his Morris Marina and who was in a skiffle group, and Duffy who'd pay Steff, the antique dealer, for sex in the alley while his wife sat at the table.

I liked O'Farrell's better though things ended badly for that bar.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

...and Duffy who'd pay Steff, the antique dealer, for sex in the alley while his wife sat at the table.
I miss Toronto.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 1:18 pm
Proudly Scarberian

There goes my claim to a Scottish passport!

The Feathers always has one barrel of local cask craft beer on which is good for a treat. Did O'Farrels morph into Mullins?

Across the road The Loop has a surprisingly good patio, considering it's right on Kingston road, and some eclectic and good food (the curried lamb burger is excellent).

Then moving east you have Busters, which probably has more Irish in it than any Irish bar; Andrews for great food; and eventually the Tara Inn which is good but still has that Canadian "pub in a strip mall" thing going on which puts me off until I get inside.

My favourite Brit pub is probably the Artful Dodger at Bloor & Yonge.

Do we need a Great Pubs of the GTA thread?
Old Oct 21st 2014, 1:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Did O'Farrels morph into Mullins?
Yes.

Surely the pub with the most Irish in it is McVeigh's. Though there was a place run by Irish sisters, one or both of whom was/is a lesbian) on Gerrard. Tiny, just the living room of a house, fat Ulsterman usually at the bar, measured by body weight that'd be a contender.

Dunno about great pubs, I primarily drank at Stoney's until it closed, there and the Yard.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

Though there was a place run by Irish sisters, one or both of whom was/is a lesbian) on Gerrard. Tiny, just the living room of a house, fat Ulsterman usually at the bar, measured by body weight that'd be a contender.
Is the place you're referring to. It was more like drinking in your great aunts parlour complete with lots of artifacts from the victorian and edwardian era.

Pimblett's Toronto Bed and Breakfast, Pub

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.