Reload this Page >

Moving London to Calgary - ~200 cubic feet

Moving London to Calgary - ~200 cubic feet

Old Oct 1st 2017, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Alex_Spouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving London to Calgary - ~200 cubic feet

Hello fellow expats,

We are planning our move to Calgary from London and have approx. 150 -200 cubic feet of personal belongings to transport (mostly comprised of books and clothes).

We've obtained a couple of quotes (full door-to-door service), but on the basis of some of the costings I've come across on this forum the numbers seem a bit high.

So, if anyone has any recommendations to handle our straight-forward move - all suggestions are welcome. Also, any indication of price per cubic/ft would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Alex

Last edited by Alex_Spouse; Oct 1st 2017 at 6:02 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 5:51 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving London to Calgary - ~200 cubic feet

Are the contents of the boxes worth less than the shipping costs? I spent a small fortune shipping a whole bunch of crap over 10 years ago, looking back I should have just bought new when I arrived.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 11:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://upakweship.uk.com/

or you could consider air freight (cargo) - air transat

https://www.leisurecargo.com/e-servi...oking-enquiry/

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 1st 2017 at 11:20 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 2:16 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
...I spent a small fortune shipping a whole bunch of crap over 10 years ago, looking back I should have just bought new when I arrived.

Or even 'used' depending on what it is.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 2:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A LOT of the cost is in the labour to pack and unpack. If you are willing to pack your own boxes you can save a lot on the cost. The best deals seem to be found by those who find a shipper who provides bare bones service.

I have used a freight forwarder a couple of times to ship stuff from my parents house to my home in the US, some stuff I had left there, and then some tools and things after my father died. The boxes and trunks were packed and ready to collect - the freight forwarder just took them and shipped them. The last time I even did the import paperwork myself. That may or may not be possible in Canada - it is capped at $2,500 value in the US, above that you have to pay an agent to do it for you.

Google <Your town freight forwarder> and look for one that provides domestic/household service.