Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Expat Social groups in Winnipeg

British Expat Social groups in Winnipeg

Old May 22nd 2015, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Expat Social groups in Winnipeg

If there is no Kub rye bread, marble and cheddar cheese cubes and kielbasa then its not a Winnipeg social
Old May 22nd 2015, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CKMaddAll
Two years in to life as a Manitoban and I can see where you are coming from... up to a point. it's far from a *gofundme* money grab... the amount of work that goes in to it is crazy. Compared to a night out in a bar- door charge is comparable. drinks are cheaper, snacks are free, buying tickets is optional. it's a way of supporting your friends and family, knowing that they will support you when it's your turn. From what I have heard, many Manitobans met their partners at socials... I see it as good old fashioned fun... but each to there own.

I'm not going to lie though, asking local stores for prize donations is something I will never get used to!
But buying tickets is not optional - you have to pay a door charge, which you would not do if meeting in a normal bar (unless it's a nightclub which is quite different)
I've also been here two years and seen a number of these - have been to a couple reluctantly - purely to support friends but find the atmosphere akin to a school disco in the canteen lol
But each to their own I suppose..
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

CKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If there is no Kub rye bread, marble and cheddar cheese cubes and kielbasa then its not a Winnipeg social
I believe we have a weird and wonderful meat section for late lunch
.. or whatever it's called!

Last edited by BEVS; May 25th 2015 at 10:50 pm. Reason: wee snip
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CKMaddAll
I'm not going to lie though, asking local stores for prize donations is something I will never get used to!
I must get dozens of donation requests a week, the vast majority of which end up in the bin. What always makes me smirk is the indignation, that the folk asking for the donation, seem to protrude when they follow up and I explain that we will not be donating a $300 value prize to their wedding social. They get truly offended and abusive at you. If its for a good cause and the person involved gives me substantial regular business, then I donate. However, last time I did, I actually went to the social and could not find my donation anywhere, when i asked what happened to it, they responded that they kept it for themselves, as it was a great prize. Really!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
However, last time I did, I actually went to the social and could not find my donation anywhere, when i asked what happened to it, they responded that they kept it for themselves, as it was a great prize. Really!!!
Wow, some people have no shame. What did you say to them?
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Wow, some people have no shame. What did you say to them?
I told them I would cancel the gift voucher, as it was a fund raiser to send a terminally ill kid somewhere nice, they were helping to organise the social but it wasn't for their child. I managed to find the family and gave them a free stay at the hotel so the kid could enjoy our water park; and explained to the family why I was doing it, they were understandably furious. Not too sure how it ended between them.

It just makes me wonder how many "donations" actually make it to the silent auctions, and how many get redirected to the organisers, as most donors do not attend.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

I told them I would cancel the gift voucher, as it was a fund raiser to send a terminally ill kid somewhere nice, they were helping to organise the social but it wasn't for their child. I managed to find the family and gave them a free stay at the hotel so the kid could enjoy our water park; and explained to the family why I was doing it, they were understandably furious. Not too sure how it ended between them.

It just makes me wonder how many "donations" actually make it to the silent auctions, and how many get redirected to the organisers, as most donors do not attend.

Glad they didn't get away with it!
Yeah it does indeed make you wonder.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 2:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Grief. That really is awful.

I do know what you mean about voucher requests pouring in. I have worked for several hospitality, travel and entertainment business. Used to see requests daily. Many I just binned. Some I did bother to explain why no donation and as you say, some folk become pretty much indignant with a sense of entitlement.